Diamond Upgrade Success....or Not?

Sand and Seas

We just upgraded using my wife's account (I used mine to upgrade from a balcony to Club Balcony on the Viva a while ago).

This time we booked an Oceanview for an 11 night cruise on the Dawn and upgraded to a balcony. I requested a room on decks 9 or 10 (so there is nothing above or below us), and we got deck 10. The only slight disappointment is that we have a hull balcony. Not a major problem, but a more open one would have been preferable.

The cost of the Oceanview was around £1,000 less than the balcony would have been to book, so overall very happy.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

We just upgraded using my wife's account (I used mine to upgrade from a balcony to Club Balcony on the Viva a while ago).

This time we booked an Oceanview for an 11 night cruise on the Dawn and upgraded to a balcony. I requested a room on decks 9 or 10 (so there is nothing above or below us), and we got deck 10. The only slight disappointment is that we have a hull balcony. Not a major problem, but a more open one would have been preferable.

The cost of the Oceanview was around £1,000 less than the balcony would have been to book, so overall very happy.

Kind of what we just did today. I am using my  Diamond upgrade to go from an oceanview to a balcony  on a cruise and my wife's on the second cruise of a back to back. Figure between the two cruises we are saving about $1,600.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for my upgrade...made my request over 10 days ago, was told 3 business days (I called on a Saturday).  Called again after 4 days, got the same "should be 3 days" - and still nothing. And apparently even the "concierge" that you call for the upgrade can only make contact via e-mail so has no way to check on anything, other than the notes on the request.

I'm wanting the cabin # so I can then upgrade family, in another cabin, to a balcony, hopefully near mine - as a Christmas present. Afraid to call again, thinking that might just put my request back to the bottom of the pile. Normally I'd just be patient but I'm leaving on a cruise this weekend so won't be able to take care of the other upgrade before Christmas if they don't get their act together.  Argg...

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, julig22 said:

Still waiting for my upgrade...made my request over 10 days ago, was told 3 business days (I called on a Saturday). 

Check yours again this morning ?  Our email request (to Latitude Support) just went thru - took about 10 calendar day including the weekend, went from OA-BB AFT on Deck 10, new ship next year, being one that's over 10+ days, we are fine with it, spacious enough for 2.  Asked for something closer to mid-ship/elevators & stairs, but this is on the quieter corridor, overlooking Infinity Beach/Pool area. 

Enjoy your cruise this weekend. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 5:44 AM, rscales2 said:

I have 699 points. Should I ask NCL to put me at the Ambassador level.

You can ask, but unfortunately I doubt you will meet with success.  NCL seems to be rather inflexible about awarding Latitudes points only after the completion of the cruise on which they are earned.

hey rscales2. even if you got the extra point, except for the freebie cruise, your perks are probably the same as all diamond. if you're currently booked, go and enjoy and your next cruise  will be under ambassador.

in the alternative, follow the advice of other posters, book a short inexpensive cruise, with possibly only an indoor or ov cabin to make up the difference.  Where would ncl need to draw the line as to assigning  extra points?  You're 1 away, if i was 5 away should i ask, 10 away, and what about other levels, if youre only 1 point away from say gold to platinum should you ask.

i certainly do not and would not begrudge you the extra point nor would i begrudge you the status, but as traveling man so succinctly put it, ncl is totally inflexible when it comes to adding point prior to the end of a cruise. 

im sorry, i also have to add that the op asks if the ncl cc community thought that the diamond upgrade was a success.  since the best upgrade one can get is from a balcony to a club, the upgrade is a success if that's what you want. if you want to book a suite/haven, the upgrade is of no use or benefit and will go unused!

that being said, your question (unfortunately) has nothing to do with the topic. Sorry!!

• Like 2