Can Voom be shared and would it work for computer gaming?

Laurie JJ

We are going on Symphony in April with several of our grown kids and my brother's family.  Computer gaming is a favorite activity when the cousins get together and with entertainment/ activities onboard being somewhat uncertain, we are thinking of bringing a few laptops to play online games together.  If I bought Voom for 4 devices, would we be able to use it on say my nephew's computer and my son's computer as well as our own?  Also, is the internet speed fast enough for computer gaming?  I haven't heard anyone mention gaming onboard.  Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, Laurie JJ said:

We are going on Symphony in April with several of our grown kids and my brother's family.  Computer gaming is a favorite activity when the cousins get together and with entertainment/ activities onboard being somewhat uncertain, we are thinking of bringing a few laptops to play online games together.  If I bought Voom for 4 devices, would we be able to use it on say my nephew's computer and my son's computer as well as our own?  Also, is the internet speed fast enough for computer gaming?  I haven't heard anyone mention gaming onboard.  Thanks for your help!

A 4 device package means you can use it on any 4 devices simultaneously.  You most likely would need the stream package.

1 minute ago, Laurie JJ said:

They want to play Stellaris or Civilization.  Do you think the internet would work for that?

All games will work, but interactive ones, where actions depend on low latency will suffer in performance. 

Maybe, but only turn based games.

However, while I haven't in a while, can't you play Civ just on LAN? I don't think you actually need internet. Just take your own wireless router, plug it in, have everyone connect to it, and play over LAN. (I'm not 100% you can with Civ, but should be easy enough to test at home.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I think you would have a better chance of playing these games since they are turned based.

Good luck

I was thinking the same thing. Something that is turn based and not dependent on immediate responses would probably be more playable. I wouldn't think about playing a MMORPG using the ship's connection, however.

1 hour ago, Tolkmit said:

Maybe, but only turn based games.

However, while I haven't in a while, can't you play Civ just on LAN? I don't think you actually need internet. Just take your own wireless router, plug it in, have everyone connect to it, and play over LAN. (I'm not 100% you can with Civ, but should be easy enough to test at home.)

I have played Civ 5 and 6 many times on LAN. It can be finicky to set up at times because occasionally it won't show the host. If it does this, just try again or give it some time and refresh. 

• Like 2

Thanks all for the info and ideas!  We'll try out the lan idea here at home.  I also like the idea of board games.  I'll have to hunt up the card room.  If we have extra sea days, we will make our own fun!  Can't wait!  

3 minutes ago, Laurie JJ said:

Thanks all for the info and ideas!  We'll try out the lan idea here at home.  I also like the idea of board games.  I'll have to hunt up the card room.  If we have extra sea days, we will make our own fun!  Can't wait!  

On Harmony it was Deck 14 aft. We went there after breakfast while cabins were being cleaned.