Live from QE, sailing 18th Jan.

LadyL1

I'm sure the haggis, tatties and neeps (potatoes and turnip) will be wonderful. A wee bit "sauce" (whisky) always helps. Just don't ask for a list of ingredients. 🙂

A ceilidh would go down well in the Queen's Room I'm sure!

Have fun

Stewart

• Like 2

Another shopping question. Do the shops sell any kind of journal? Years ago, they had the beautiful Ocean Bookshop journals. Then they went to a spiral-bound with the Three Queens design on the covers (2016). That wasn't around for long, and then there was a smaller book with a repeating Art Deco ship design (2018). 

Thanks!

We left Valencia last night, the sun was shining on our balcony and the sea like glass. This morning we have a Force 8 on our way to the Straits of Gibraltar (passed  thru around 14.30): QE is very stable and all is very good. Late in the afternoon the wind speed is down to 30 knots and shop speed 19kns.
This morning we went to the theatre and listened to the ex BBC man Bob Bailey, on his ballooning hobby which was most entertaining, and having been a producer you can imagine all his clips and graphics have been spot on! That was followed by Nicki Chapman’s first talk on her time in the music business. Although very accomplished, we have seen her before with little of the content changed, but it pleasantly passed nearly an hour.
Last night in QG we ordered beef wellington which was superb, but the quantity too much for me, although I did mange most. This morning it was just a small bowl of red berries and yoghurt and for the first time this trip we passed on a lunchtime top up!
A second visit to the spa this afternoon, for a hot stone massage, whilst my husband went back to the theatre to watch the latest James Bond film. I think I won hands down with this “little extra”
A few more observations
* The tourist booking office always seems busy. A good sign as a company/ship needs to make profit, and the with numbers onboard for this voyage, that aim is probably impossible. 
* The “Silent Brigade” of cleaners is doing a magnificent job keeping the surfaces cleansed as soon as occupants leave tables etc. Lifts and stairwells getting much attention
*Apart from the boarding hours in Southampton when the rule of 4 in lifts was blatantly ignored, pax have respected this rule. It seems only at theatre leaving time is there a short wait. Sadly, just a few  people using mobility scooters seem to think it fine to whizz past sanitisers.😣

I visited the shop on deck 2 and did not see any packs of masks for sale (as had been asked) and there were some smart blue and gold journals with hard spine for sale.
Of course, there are no sales stalls outside the shops,  but there have been quite a few offers on spirits.
Tonight is the “red and gold” evening; I will be watching to see if this is well adhered to. It is great to still have the formal nights and we enjoy dressing up, which is so unusual at home these days.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thank you for the shopping research. I'm surprised they aren't selling masks--I'd love to have one with a Cunard design. 

The beef Wellington looks delicious, but that portion is WAY too big for me!

Sometimes in QG, the have the beef Wellington as an item on the menu of the day, so you only get one slice, and that is fine. Otherwise it is much too much and a waste.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thank you for the shopping research. I'm surprised they aren't selling masks--I'd love to have one with a Cunard design. 

Possibly in the medical centre on deck 0 (downstairs from deck 1 don't know what its called officially) - they sold items like knee supports I know from experience 

Our last port today, which is Lisbon. Always a pleasure to arrive in this city by ship coming along the Tagus and under the “singing”bridge.

After the red and gold evening, a good nights’ sleep was had, and if there was any movement of the ship we did not feel it.
Again blue skies, but this chilly northerly breeze is keeping the temperatures a little lower than average. Plenty of sun worshipers around on the sheltered parts of the deck.
AIDAStella was behind us, and the old classic ship “Funchal” even further along the river seems mothballed. What a shame the QE turned, ready for departure, as our lovely balcony has been in the shade again.
The aft pool is now open and a bracing swim 25 minute swim was had, but the real challenge is getting out into an even lower air temp.
In the past it seemed that if we were on either QV or QE Sally Sagoe would always make an appearance, but the cruise entertainment director is Michael Harvey whom I have not come across before.
So we having departed on a glorious evening, there are 2 sea days before arriving home, and so pleased that we have broken the ice with foreign travel.

Question answered; the beef wellington was for 2 persons: this is how it comes if ordered off the normal menu.

Below, leaving Lisbon

1D31271B-67D7-46EA-AC8E-229052DE41FA.jpeg

F2DC27C1-2D27-433E-B512-B231FE381269.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 1:00 AM, techteach said:

I could barely eat one slice. Is it possible to order smaller portions in QG?

As has been said by two others, order it off menu and it's two 'slabs'. As a menu offering, it's one but there's no rule which says you have to take the two slabs when ordering it as a 'special', which by the way, is usually [but has been known to be cooked for one] a special for two request. I love the way the result manages the 'blue' for me and medium rare for my husband, A combo of the galley and the Head waiter.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

The last time we ordered beef Wellington in QG (off menu) we got two slabs each!

Exactly, that is what we had, as seen in photo. Carved from an individually baked one, crust ends removed at table, and sliced into 4 large portions!

• Like 1

Friday, we awake to a fabulous morning and sunrise, flat calm seas, but sadly homeward bound!
By mid morning QE was riding a Force 8, and we enjoyed watching the ocean’s attitude whist taking coffee in the Commodore Club. Luckily we managed 2 1/2 laps of the promenade before it was  cordoned off, but getting the doors open to go inside one needed strength of a body builder!
The only lecture we managed was Bob Bailey who has been a revelation. Today we listened in awe to his attempt to win the first TransAtlantic Balloon Race, in which he and his partner were runners up. To date 12 men have walked on the moon but only 9 have traversed the Atlantic with air assistance!
Tonight was the Roaring Twenties evening, and this really brought the Queens Room to life with great outfits being displayed by many. Interestingly on this subject, our elderly dining  neighbours asked where we found the information for themed nights, and had no idea about looking on “my voyage” calendar for the info. Also, it seems quite a few first timers on Cunard, and one couple I spoke with thought the dressing up was wonderful!
Packing tomorrow: what a bore!

Kinshasa……. I hope you you enjoy your voyage as much as we have.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LadyL1 said:
Friday, we awake to a fabulous morning and sunrise, flat calm seas, but sadly homeward bound!
By mid morning QE was riding a Force 8, and we enjoyed watching the ocean’s attitude whist taking coffee in the Commodore Club. Luckily we managed 2 1/2 laps of the promenade before it was  cordoned off, but getting the doors open to go inside one needed strength of a body builder!
The only lecture we managed was Bob Bailey who has been a revelation. Today we listened in awe to his attempt to win the first TransAtlantic Balloon Race, in which he and his partner were runners up. To date 12 men have walked on the moon but only 9 have traversed the Atlantic with air assistance!
Tonight was the Roaring Twenties evening, and this really brought the Queens Room to life with great outfits being displayed by many. Interestingly on this subject, our elderly dining  neighbours asked where we found the information for themed nights, and had no idea about looking on “my voyage” calendar for the info. Also, it seems quite a few first timers on Cunard, and one couple I spoke with thought the dressing up was wonderful!
Packing tomorrow: what a bore!

Kinshasa……. I hope you you enjoy your voyage as much as we have.

Packing at the end of a trip is depressing. Thank you for taking us along on your cruise!

6 hours ago, imacruizer said:

Thanks so much for this wonderful report.  So glad you had a lovely voyage.  Who are the current Maitre Ds in the Queen's Grill and the Princess Grill?

In the QG it is the ever gentleman, Sandro. 
I will try and find out re PG.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:38 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The beef Wellington looks delicious, but that portion is WAY too big for me!

I have masks with the Cunard logo but don't know if I'm allowed to post where I got them.  I probably found them through an Internet search, so give that a try.