Celebrity Move Up - Can you phone an offer in?

Cruisegoer

With cruising capacity as it currently is I have to assume many cabins are going unsold yet Celebrity's Move Up website has per person minimums which you must bid.  If I wanted to make a nominal offer to upgrade (below website minimums) is there a way I could do it via phonecall?

19 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

With cruising capacity as it currently is I have to assume many cabins are going unsold yet Celebrity's Move Up website has per person minimums which you must bid.  If I wanted to make a nominal offer to upgrade (below website minimums) is there a way I could do it via phonecall?

If we wanted to try that, we would contact our Celebrity Vacation Planner and ask her to contact her accounting POC to see if that was even an option.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

What is the motivation for X to accept a bid less than what they set as a minimum for Move Up?  

Here’s a scenario. Let’s say Celebrity has only received minimum bids for upgrades to a particular category. If they offer a price to the requester that is significantly larger than the minimum bid, say $300 more per person than the minimum bid, then it’s a win-win for both Celebrity and the person whose CVP is asking the question, especially if they have multiple cabins available in that category.

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s a scenario. Let’s say Celebrity has only received minimum bids for upgrades to a particular category. If they offer a price to the requester that is significantly larger than the minimum bid, say $300 more per person than the minimum bid, then it’s a win-win for both Celebrity and the person whose CVP is asking the question, especially if they have multiple cabins available in that category.

The OP wants to make at bid  below the minimum bid not an amount within tge bidding range.

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The OP wants to make at bid  below the minimum bid not an amount within tge bidding range.

Understand. But at the same time since X is in the driver's seat, if the CVP comes back with an offer they would be happy with, maybe the requester will take it. Worst case, the person rejects the offer.

39 minutes ago, jelayne said:

This topic wasn’t created for you to judge just provide a yes or no answer should you have the answer to the question.  Thank you for your interest in everyone’s motivations but it’s not necessary.

4 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

No

• Like 1

I've never tried, so I can't say definitively yes or no, but my guess is no. However, if you wait till you are on board, then talk to guest services, if there is an open cabin you could maybe get something for lower than the opening bid then.

To my knowledge you can't.    I tried upgrading on a cruise after my pretty healthy bid (about mid point)  was rejected for a RS.    The revenue manager on Millennium gave me a price that was higher than if I had booked it at full fare.   I didn't even decline I just turned around and walked off.   The RS sailed empty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

This topic wasn’t created for you to judge just provide a yes or no answer should you have the answer to the question.  Thank you for your interest in everyone’s motivations but it’s not necessary.

Wasn’t judging.  But if you want a yes or no answer it is No

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Wasn’t judging.  But if you want a yes or no answer it is No

She said she wanted to go below minimum, you reported that as part of your straightforward answer, and she took offense? I was going to go back to reading my mystery novel, but this is fun!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Wait until you board the ship and go straight to customer service and inquire about an upgrade. On our cruise last week we did this and the prices offered at the customer service desk for the upgrade were a bit less than the minimum upgrade bid. We had a Veranda and the upgrade to AQ via bidding was $300, cost at desk was $200. Suite bid for SS online minimum was $1000, onboard pricing was $800. If you are willing to wait until on board, you may be able to save a few bucks.

• Like 1

Question...what happens if we place a bid on a more expensive cabin or suite...Celebrity accepts the bid and we are upgraded...and then...we decide to cancel the current cruise that has the upgrade and take a cruise later in the year?  Do we lose the amount of money Celebrity charged our credit card for the upgrade bid?  Do we get it refundedd? Or is it applied to the next cruise along with what we initially paid for our original cabin?  My concern is that if we cannot make this cruise, we would lose the amount we paid for the upgrade?

22 minutes ago, Mark said:

Question...what happens if we place a bid on a more expensive cabin or suite...Celebrity accepts the bid and we are upgraded...and then...we decide to cancel the current cruise that has the upgrade and take a cruise later in the year?  Do we lose the amount of money Celebrity charged our credit card for the upgrade bid?  Do we get it refundedd? Or is it applied to the next cruise along with what we initially paid for our original cabin?  My concern is that if we cannot make this cruise, we would lose the amount we paid for the upgrade?

I don't think they could charge you for something you didn't utilize so best case refund, worse case future cruise credit (FCC).

11 hours ago, Mark said:

I had a similar experience.     I was taking a cruise that departed the day the cruise lines shut down cruising.    I had won and upgrade to a RS and my credit card was of course immediately charged.   On the tarmac at FLL taxing to the terminal at 1:00 AM for a cruise leaving the next day,  I turned on my phone and had a message that the cruise had been cancelled.    We had to then extend our stay in FLL until we could get a flight back home and change our flight arrangements. 

We received a a refund back to our credit card for our upgrade and our initial deposit.    We received a 125% FCC for the remainder fare.    It took almost 3 months and some pushing to get the refund issued, but we all remember the mess when the first shutdown occurred.

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Discussed several times.  If you cancel using CWC you get a FCC for your cruise fare and everything else is refunded to  your method of payment.  This happen to us in very early 2020.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, Cruisegoer said:

What is the website please.....