Arcadia being sold?

Port out

Currently on Iona and have heard a lot of talk amongst the crew, not officers, that following the first of Arcadia's cruises this year being cancelled, that the boys who were due to join her now have had their joining removed. Also suggestions that boys currently on Arcadia will be shipped over to the Iona. Guess the worry for a lot of us with forward bookings on Arcadia that the ship is being sold. I believe P&O are still taking bookings but the same occurred when the Oceana was sold. Anyone with a feel with what is happening

18 minutes ago, Port out said:

that following the first of Arcadia's cruises this year being cancelled

We are on the first Arcadia cruise this year,  (March) and have not been informed of any cancellation.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We are on the first Arcadia cruise this year,  (March) and have not been informed of any cancellation.

It may just be gossip but it also wouldn't be totally unexpected, P&O have sold ships before at short notice, lots of us have wondered for a while whether Arcadia or Aurora would be sold off. Watch this space, we need something new to debate anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

It may just be gossip but it also wouldn't be totally unexpected, P&O have sold ships before at short notice, lots of us have wondered for a while whether Arcadia or Aurora would be sold off. Watch this space, we need something new to debate anyway.

Yes, I appreciate that a sell off is possible.

I would however,  be more than a little upset,  if, after Arcadia has been sitting idle for nigh on two years, P&O decide to sell her 9 weeks before she is due to re-enter service.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I appreciate that a sell off is possible.

I would however,  be more than a little upset,  if, after Arcadia has been sitting idle for nigh on two years, P&O decide to sell her 9 weeks before she is due to re-enter service.

I won't be happy either as we are booked on the 40 nighter in November.

The selling of Arcadia has been doing the rounds every few years since her christening .. for numerous reasons.   I would be very sad if she did go.   By far the nicest ship P&O have had, not least her proper promenade deck and understated spaces, far removed from the glitzy party ships that now seem to be the usual.   And if true, and she is either sold, or at least to be sale-listed, then Aurora would likely follow close behind.

I hope not too as we have booked the 2024 world cruise on her,  wouldn't be to disappointed if Aurora were to replace her but wouldn't be overly keen to do the worldie on any of the other ships in the P and O fleet .Hope its just the rumour mill working overtime😔 

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I hope not too as we have booked the 2024 world cruise on her,  wouldn't be to disappointed if Aurora were to replace her but wouldn't be overly keen to do the worldie on any of the other ships in the P and O fleet .Hope its just the rumour mill working overtime😔 

Same here other than we would much prefer our balcony on Arcadia, compared to Aurora's balconies.

• Like 1

Back in 2016 we went on Adonia and it was great. So great that we booked another cruise for the next year.

Rumours started to spread that P&O were going to sell her and I mentioned that on here. I was immediately slapped down being told not be ridiculous as P&O wouldn't take bookings on a ship they were going to sell. Needless to say they cancelled all the bookings with little or no apology.

Adonia now sails for Azamara. I wouldn't be the least surprised that Arcadia is to be sold and I hope that all those already booked are not as surprised and hurt as we were.

Peter

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Back in 2016 we went on Adonia and it was great. So great that we booked another cruise for the next year.

Rumours started to spread that P&O were going to sell her and I mentioned that on here. I was immediately slapped down being told not be ridiculous as P&O wouldn't take bookings on a ship they were going to sell. Needless to say they cancelled all the bookings with little or no apology.

Adonia now sails for Azamara. I wouldn't be the least surprised that Arcadia is to be sold and I hope that all those already booked are not as surprised and hurt as we were.

Peter

Exactly as we feel as have two booked this year and so looking forward to them.

23 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Same here other than we would much prefer our balcony on Arcadia, compared to Aurora's balconies.

I suspect that may be reason she could go first, her balconies make her more saleable than Aurora, and of course Aurora seems to achieve better pricing for P&O, which having sailed only once on each of them, does rather confuse me, but then I do prefer the bigger ships.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose it is possible that pax numbers on the first few cruises are so low that a full crew complement is not required, hence the redeployment of a number of crew members.

Why would you think it possible that pax numbers are low? Because according to some comments made on CC, people like me (and Dermotsgirl, Jean and Selbourne to name just a few) aren’t representative of the big real world in which most people can’t wait to resume cruising! If that’s the case, I would expect pax numbers to be high. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zombatar said:

Peter

Don't know what name the former Adonia now sails under, however we are booked on Azamara quest this year , would be nice if it were the old Adonia as we never got to sail on her👍 

26 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Don't know what name the former Adonia now sails under, however we are booked on Azamara quest this year , would be nice if it were the old Adonia as we never got to sail on her👍 

Adonia is now Azamara Journey, but quest is also an old R ship and will be very similar.

47 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

She is still in Port of TyneMay be an image of nature

She’s been in the Tyne for several months having work carried out. According to the Port of Tyne website she is due to depart on 24th January at 7am for Bermuda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Arcadia is sailing Tyne - Southampton on 24 Jan where she arrives 26 Jan and departs on 3 February. She is due to be going to dry dock, returning on 21st March. She is then alongside until her first cruise on 27 March. 

Looking at the amount of time she is away for dry dock, she may also be going via Belfast as this has been used as a option for crew embarkation as its been easier to run charter flights to Northern Ireland.

As for the crew, Omicron has caused crew shortages across the existing fleet. Its not a surprise that crew are being redeployed to ships already in service. There is still time to bring additional crew across from their homelands.

All in all, this doesn't (currently) have legs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7