Arcadia being sold?

Port out

5 hours ago, john watson said:

I think the bubble would have burst eventually with the overcapacity if the pandemic had not occurred and lockdowns had not been needed.  The accountants and shareholders are not the cruise line.  All shareholders will have done very badly over last year especially cruise and leisure industry stock holders. Then this is the purpose of limited companies and shareholder investment.  Generally everybody has less disposable income for the foreseeable future as they will not have been working to the extent of previous years. It is now a question of resuming as best we can.

Regards 

Actually, your comments about disposable income are torally wrong

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9060/

And there was no indication at all that the cruising bubble was going to burst. Older ships were being phased out, and larger more profitable ones being introduced. Demand might have levelled off in 15 or 20 years, but that could have been managed through planned capacity reduction.

To baldly state that shutting the entire industry down for the best part of 18 months has not been "a bad thing" strikes me as a somewhat strange perverted view of economics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

To baldly state that shutting the entire industry down for the best part of 18 months has not been "a bad thing" strikes me as a somewhat strange perverted view of economics. 

I did not say it has not been a bad thing, I said it has not all been a bad thing e.g. 95%% bad thing 5% good opportunity to completely reorganise.

Regards John

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, john watson said:

I think the bubble would have burst eventually with the overcapacity if the pandemic had not occurred and lockdowns had not been needed.  The accountants and shareholders are not the cruise line.  All shareholders will have done very badly over last year especially cruise and leisure industry stock holders. Then this is the purpose of limited companies and shareholder investment.  Generally everybody has less disposable income for the foreseeable future as they will not have been working to the extent of previous years. It is now a question of resuming as best we can.

Regards John

I thought the expectation was that workers would now have a stockpile of unused cash, just waiting for the end of covid. In fact that is seen as the main factor in the speed of the economic bounce back.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought the expectation was that workers would now have a stockpile of unused cash, just waiting for the end of covid. In fact that is seen as the main factor in the speed of the economic bounce back.

My thoughts are that depends entirely on the individual's situation. Many of us are retired so our income has likely remained the same and likewise for some others, but for many there has been a big loss in income as well as great stresses in their lives.

In fact people who wish to sail on the smaller ships (mainly older people) are probably more likely to have the extra cash, though we perhaps should remember that many older people have access to savings which they are also likely to use, knowing their years in which to spend it are shrinking rapidly.  We are in that position now, but strange to think how much of our earlier life was spent with quite limited cash and yet one of our priorities was saving for old age.

I also realise not all older people are in that situation, and some will at times save for a long time for a big holiday, as is also be the case for some younger people.  My thoughts above probably do apply to many people who do a number of cruises per year.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As a shareholder I suppose I ought to be grateful that the bean counters are looking after my investment, and since I prefer newer and bigger ships, with more eating, entertainment and drinking venues I should be happy, but I do feel for those of you who prefer the smaller ships.

I am also a shareholder and think the opposite. There are many P&O cruisers who are prepared, because they currently are doing so, to pay a premium to cruise on smaller ships and to discard the ships and more than likely the customers to other cruise lines is not good business sense

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tring said:

My thoughts are that depends entirely on the individual's situation. Many of us are retired so our income has likely remained the same and likewise for some others, but for many there has been a big loss in income as well as great stresses in their lives.

In fact people who wish to sail on the smaller ships (mainly older people) are probably more likely to have the extra cash, though we perhaps should remember that many older people have access to savings which they are also likely to use, knowing their years in which to spend it are shrinking rapidly.  We are in that position now, but strange to think how much of our earlier life was spent with quite limited cash and yet one of our priorities was saving for old age.

I also realise not all older people are in that situation, and some will at times save for a long time for a big holiday, as is also be the case for some younger people.  My thoughts above probably do apply to many people who do a number of cruises per year.

We are in a similar position to you. As we have not spent our travel budget for 2 years we are in a good position to splash out over the coming years, we accepted that to get to some of the smaller places we want to visit we will need to pay a premium for smaller ships. I have also noticed locally that lots of people have been having home improvements which is likely them spending money saved on holidays and meals out missed during lockdown

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Set against this is the reality that government has needed to spend a huge amount of money on our behalf to  protect us. This is our money collected through taxation but it is not enough.  They estimated it will cost every person in the UK around £1600 per year with the increases in general living costs and taxation.  I am uncertain what way it will go and how soon.

Regards John