Feb. 2, 2022 Koningsdam Live Cruise Report, San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego

5 minutes ago, sp00n said:

In front of Moana Surfrider. The coral there had a great variety of fish life.

Oh that’s great to know.  That is a very old hotel (updated now I guess)…we spent the first 5 days of our honeymoon there (almost 40 years ago) then went to Maui.    Really looking forward to our cruise and seeing Hawaii again.  
Thanks! 

• Like 1

Just now, zelker said:

I love tenors.  Is it a Mele?  Koa with Mother of Pearl inlay?  Gorgeous!  Congrats!

Not a Mele, handmade by a Maui local who only produces two a year. Not sure what his brand is called. Yup, Koa with MoP inlay. Fretboard and cutaway are rosewood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sp00n said:

In front of Moana Surfrider. The coral there had a great variety of fish life.

We always stay at the Moana Surfrider, last in December 2021.  How far do you have to go out for a "great variety of fish life." ?  I love this area of Waikiki.  The ukelele is beautiful.  Cherie

• Like 1

Just now, cccole said:

We always stay at the Moana Surfrider, last in December 2021.  How far do you have to go out for a "great variety of fish life." ?  I love this area of Waikiki.  The ukelele is beautiful.  Cherie

Not far at all. About midway between shore and where surf classes are held.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jabcruiser said:

What size hooks did you get?  From Amazon?  Need to order some for our upcoming cruise and want to get some that will hold lots of stuff like yours.  Thanks so much.

Jane

Hi Jane,

These are the hooks I purchased.  Super strong!  Don’t get your fingers caught between them.

Bob

0780AF6D-4103-4A3E-BF61-4ECD8B05960E.thumb.jpeg.501adc0b481ed3ec45a9bf54f1bfe4b9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, jkrislc said:

Do they still enforce the jacket rule for men? On my last HAL cruise, they had a sign at the entrance to the dining room on formal night that a jacket was required for men.

Didn’t see a sign like that, but most men were wearing jackets.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!  Besides the amazing mosaics I remember the wall of windows that goes below ground with the push of a button.  Not unusual now but when that home was built it was truly amazing.  Thank you for such great photos.  Cherie

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

Hi Jane,

These are the hooks I purchased.  Super strong!  Don’t get your fingers caught between them.

Bob

0780AF6D-4103-4A3E-BF61-4ECD8B05960E.thumb.jpeg.501adc0b481ed3ec45a9bf54f1bfe4b9.jpeg

I got those also. Came with a warning not for anyone under 14. Seriously strong  magnets. 

• Like 1

This is the beach and park between the Cruise Port and The Mall.  The sign says the park is closed from 10PM-4AM and the following are prohibited:  alcoholic beverages, animals, camping tents, vehicles on grass, golfing, littering, open fires,, feeding animals and shopping carts.

IMG_0899.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, sansterre said:

This is the beach and park between the Cruise Port and The Mall.  The sign says the park is closed from 10PM-4AM and the following are prohibited:  alcoholic beverages, animals, camping tents, vehicles on grass, golfing, littering, open fires,, feeding animals and shopping carts.

IMG_0899.jpg

Is this Ala Moana Park? 

On 2/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, jkrislc said:

Do they still enforce the jacket rule for men? On my last HAL cruise, they had a sign at the entrance to the dining room on formal night that a jacket was required for men.

No, long sleeved collard shirt and slacks for men

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jones76845 said:

No, long sleeved collard shirt and slacks for men

I don't recall a requirement for long sleeve shirts on HAL - I had no issues in a short sleeve shirt (with a collar) on our last trip (2019), in any venue or night. In fact - I'm sure I could have easily worn a golf shirt.

I don't own any long sleeve shirts and definitely don't travel with them!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RobTheGob said:

I don't recall a requirement for long sleeve shirts on HAL - I had no issues in a short sleeve shirt (with a collar) on our last trip (2019), in any venue or night. In fact - I'm sure I could have easily worn a golf shirt.

I don't own any long sleeve shirts and definitely don't travel with them!

I was just copying the HAL description of GALA night attire, you can wear what you want.

3 minutes ago, jones76845 said:

I was just copying the HAL description of GALA night attire, you can wear what you want.

Actually, no, you weren't.  This is copied straight from HAL's  FAQ's - "Know Before You Go:  Clothing" and it does NOT specify long sleeves, just collared shirts.

Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. On Gala Nights in fine dining restaurants, collared shirts and slacks are required for gentlemen. For ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, zelker said:

Actually, no, you weren't.  This is copied straight from HAL's  FAQ's - "Know Before You Go:  Clothing" and it does NOT specify long sleeves, just collared shirts.

Know Before You Go (hollandamerica.com)

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. On Gala Nights in fine dining restaurants, collared shirts and slacks are required for gentlemen. For ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable.

Exactly.

I (obviously!) don't dress very formally at any time - but I was always worried about my footwear. I tend to travel with comfortable, walking shoes rather than dress shoes. But the shoes I had looked fine (IMO, haha!) with my pants. AND I could take a nice, leisurely stroll after eating without my feet killing me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1