Laundry On Board--Hot or Cold?

Roxydog15

1 hour ago, cruisefam38 said:

A couple of weeks ago I pulled out a tee shirt, and something was pricking my shoulder.  My first thought was "oh no spider!".  I quickly pulled the tee back off, it was a ship's laundry tag, peeling up. A quick look through our files showed it was from Spring of 2019.  Almost three years later. 

Nostalgia. 

LOL --   i'm still finding those little nostalgia reminders.    For me they are usually on the collar of t's and I find myself pulling them off for weeks.    Sometimes it is fun to find one from a room we had long ago.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

So if we're lucky enough to get to cruise this summer and fall, for the longer cruises, do ship's laundry service only use searing hot water and then oven roast my clothes that will destroy all except jeans?  Can we request cold water wash and low dryer? Or is it a sanitation thing for them? Do they lose socks and jammies?

I just can't imagine all the people who use the service have their clothes destroyed on a regular basis.  The horrible alternative is washing in the cabin and having clothes hanging all over and the poor steward maneuvering through it. 

I don’t personally send my clothes to laundry but my husband does. On Apex in November my husband sent shirts and underwear for laundry and I thought I would add some undies and socks. My husband lost a golf shirt and underwear and socks and I lost my undies and socks! ☹️

Well regarding all the lost items and other concerns mentioned, looks like I'll mostly be doing laundry in the cabin (if not all of it).  I don't know how otherwise to pack enough for 12 to 15 or 25 days away into one pullman suitcase per person (plus a carryon, backpack, and a large travel purse).  Do most of you pack 3 or 4 large cases for a couple?

4 minutes ago, Roxydog15 said:

Well regarding all the lost items and other concerns mentioned, looks like I'll mostly be doing laundry in the cabin (if not all of it).  I don't know how otherwise to pack enough for 12 to 15 or 25 days away into one pullman suitcase per person (plus a carryon, backpack, and a large travel purse).  Do most of you pack 3 or 4 large cases for a couple?

Being a less is more person, always travel with just one suitcase, and all my vacations are for at least 2 weeks.  

Just now, Roxydog15 said:

Wow, I am jealous of your high packing skills level!

LOL, it only comes from many years of business travel and living out of a suitcase.  Rolling is your friend, I am still trying to train my husband, he tends to pack like he is the Queen of England and would use a steaming trunk if I let him.

1 minute ago, Froufie said:

So does Celebrity have those 'stuff a bag' one price laundry specials during a 10 day cruise?  Hoping that is a possibility for getting some laundry done (and packing less?)  🙂

Usually.   We bring a suction cup and clothes line.  Lots of stuff washes easily in the sink.  Roll in a dry towel and press.  Hang up and spray with wrinkle release.   Polos and wife's tops come out perfect.

We travel with a carry on and a suitcase.  Works fine for us whatever the length of the trip. 

• Like 1

Dont send anything that you cant wear if totally shrunk. I've writted cold water low dry, and still comes back 2 sizes smaller. But now that we know that, we pack accordingly. 

Also, we didnt have enough laundry to fill our bag, so a friend we met on the cruise added in some socks and undies and a pair of pants. HIS pants were lost.. I think to this day he thinks we kept them. 

But didnt of course!

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Usually.   We bring a suction cup and clothes line.  Lots of stuff washes easily in the sink.  Roll in a dry towel and press.  Hang up and spray with wrinkle release.   Polos and wife's tops come out perfect.

We travel with a carry on and a suitcase.  Works fine for us whatever the length of the trip. 

I do not remember - do any of the ships have the old school pullout clotheslines in the showers? I like using them for swimsuits. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

Every cruise we tell each other we will pack light this time. Still not happening. Two check-thru bags plus carry-ons. Sigh. This time, I pledge to photograph all the clean clothes we took on a lovely cruise.

I found out that all my clothes shrunk when on a cruise that was  7 days or longer.   

Never thought about  the the laundry being the problem.    Will have to be more careful about what I send out.  

The mystery is why did the clothes that I left at home also shrink ?  🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 6

Thru the years and some advice we read on here we found that packing cubes really help packing and organizing clothing.  At first I thought they would just take up extra space but they don’t.    They keep the clothes condensed and easier to pack and unpack

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

I found out that all my clothes shrunk when on a cruise that was  7 days or longer.

I have the same mysterious issue!

And I also use those cubes. They are amazing.  Who'd of thunk that adding bulk saves space!

1 hour ago, miched said:

.  At first I thought they would just take up extra space but they don’t.

Quantum Physics

1 hour ago, miched said:

The mystery is why did the clothes that I left at home also shrink ?  

Also due to quantum entanglement

I suspect these phenomena double in effect when cruising on the Quantum of the Seas.

We only send  out 2 bags..

Whites( undies, tees  and socks),   and inexpensive daytime logo  tees. 

Nothing  was ever lost, nothing ruined but they do not customize! The little stickers are hard to get rid of..

One time they did  customize when we were covered  head to toes in fuel/ soot from a puff back while at aft bar.. they did a perfect job in 1 day  on all our clothing..even white capris.  This was an exception!

We always specify COLD WASH ONLY. Never thought about adding dryer requests. We have not experienced shrunken clothing in the many times we've used Celebrity's wash/dry/fold service. I did lose a drawstring on a pair of Columbia shorts I sent out so ever since I've been hand-washing those and Columbia capris, especially since the lightweight fabric becomes extremely wrinkled when folded.

Oh, those tags!

13 hours ago, miched said:

Never thought about  the the laundry being the problem.    Will have to be more careful about what I send out.  

The mystery is why did the clothes that I left at home also shrink ?  🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Oh silly you - everyone knows it's the SALT AIR that shrinks the clothes!!! 🙂

12 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

I have the same mysterious issue!

And I also use those cubes. They are amazing.  Who'd of thunk that adding bulk saves space!

...also now a fan of the cubes - great for organizing (especially if staying a few days precruise - I use a cube to plan everything I will need to I don't have to go messing up the suitcase looking for something!

And if you love cubes try a packing folder or envelope!  Those are AMAZING!  (I can get all my tops/capris in one of the large folders - all nice and unwrinkled and ready to hang when we get onboard)!

On 1/23/2022 at 8:04 PM, Roxydog15 said:

One case within airline weight restrictions and always manage enough for up to 2 weeks.

18 hours ago, Froufie said:

Oh silly you - everyone knows it's the SALT AIR that shrinks the clothes!!! 🙂

...also now a fan of the cubes - great for organizing (especially if staying a few days precruise - I use a cube to plan everything I will need to I don't have to go messing up the suitcase looking for something!

And if you love cubes try a packing folder or envelope!  Those are AMAZING!  (I can get all my tops/capris in one of the large folders - all nice and unwrinkled and ready to hang when we get onboard)!

Surely that's counter productive with the additional bulk of the packaging? I would fold a short better than that!