The Daily for Sunday 01/23/2022

richwmn

Today is National Pie Day, National Handwriting Day, and National Rhubarb Pie Day

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.--Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories

Meal Suggestion for today - Rigatoni With Sausage Peas
Drink of the Day - Samba Margarita
Wine of the Day - Villa Brici 2019 Ribolla Gialla (Primorska) Sloven
Destination of the Day - Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Ships With Passengers

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Statendam  

07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam  

07:00 - 17:00

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Koningsdam  

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Eurodam  

06:30 - 16:00

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Zuiderdam  

09:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Ionian Sea

Oosterdam  

Destination Corfu GR eta 1/24

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Anchorage

Freeport BS

Noordam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

0123NAmerica.thumb.png.e26e347674499e816128716523ed3a25.png

0123NAmerica.thumb.png.e26e347674499e816128716523ed3a25.png

0123Europe.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from the Great WHITE North.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's snowing.  It's still snowing.  We've got a snow squall warning. 

Interesting days.  I love pie and rhubarb pie is my favourite.  I wonder if I have any rhubarb in the freezer?  I think I'll make a pie.🙂 

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The cocktail sounds good too.  Hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for everyone. 

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 36

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report. I didn’t realize that there were two annual pi(e) days but I’ll take both.  Except for the rhubarb, while I like eating it fresh out of the garden I don’t enjoy it cooked, at all.  I try and practice my handwriting often but sometimes I can’t believe that what comes off the pen is actually from me.  I don’t think that any of my grammar school teachers would appreciate it either!  Funny quote by Oscar Wilde.  Quebec City is such a beautiful place to visit.  We sailed from there to Boston in 2013 and really enjoyed ourselves while visiting.  It was like traveling to Europe without the jet lag.  Prayers for all of you on our list today and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.  

• Like 34

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

I am not a lover of pastry so rarely eat pie's 

Rhubarb pie is the King of pies so it blends in with National pie day.

Nowadays we all tend to send emails or texts so letter writing is a rare thing now.

A typical Oscar Wilde quote today.

I will give the food and drink today a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they will help.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220123_121323.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I like most pies, savory and sweet. Rhubarb pie is a favorite. It saddens me that most schools no longer teach handwriting. It is fitting that it falls on John Hancock's birthday.

I like the quote and the meal suggestion.

It is a cold, but clear start to Sunday. (25 degrees) I don't think it reached the 40s yesterday so we'll see if it makes it to the forecasted 46 today.

@grapau27Graham, thank you for sharing today's sermon.

DH and I will continue the glass block wall today and should finish it tomorrow. Then lots of grouting over the following couple of days.

We started a puzzle yesterday. The brand has puzzles that could make a village so we are thinking about getting a few, putting them together permanently and using them as a Christmas village. We shall see.

So... working on the shower, putting the puzzle together and football is what we are doing here today.

Wishing everyone a super Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another fun combination of days. I will gladly give my rhubarb pie to anyone who wants it. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy!  Morning Dailyites. A chilly morning here. But the sky is clearing and we expect the sun to appear soon. A busy day for me. Celebrating a good friend’s entry into a new decade. Lots of outdoor activities planned so hoping the sun comes out soon. 

The Winter series continues….

C7B66FDE-7754-4951-AC20-442CC9D2A71B.jpeg.a663eaa7b0da245809e527b809ef34af.jpeg

12F407AB-05E7-4687-A018-F54E011226A1.jpeg.c903caa551fe94a2ae1504e4fca254db.jpeg

D4ABBB74-89CD-44FB-AD03-47AB57494147.jpeg.c0f01cde4a0903dd0a4e6009f36c4216.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

A bit elusive, this white wine has a very good rating and a reasonable price. I believe this is the first wine I have seen from Slovenia, and am not familiar with these grapes. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.

Distributor Notes

Refreshing and invigorating like its aroma of Mediterranean citruses.

Colour: lemon yellow

Aroma: citruses, cedar, green apple

Taste: fresh, drinkable and easygoing

Origin: Brda wine-growing area

Vineyard shape: terraced

Altitude: 120 – 220 m

Type of soil: marl and sandstone

Climate: sub-Mediterranean, a mixture of warm sea air and cold Alpine winds

Grape Variety: 100% Rebula (Ribolla Gialla)

Harvesting: exclusively handpicked grapes

Fermentation and maturation: 100% in stainless steel containers

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 10

Good morning, everyone.

It is snowing again here in northeast Ohio.   I'm going to have to go out and rescue my garbage and recycle bins so that I can get to them when I need to.  Maybe I'll put them back behind the giant snow wall that the plow service created.  I can get them out now.  

I like pies more than cake and always wanted my mom to make more of them.  We had cake often, especially between March 11th and May 11th as 7 out of 8 of us had birthdays then.  Rhubarb is a favorite of mine, but I stay away from it for two reasons.  First is the sugar load but second is because rhubarb is one of the four highest foods in oxalates and oxalates play a significant role in kidney stone formation.  I am prone to kidney stones so I stay away from the four top culprits:  spinach, rhubarb, almonds, and beets.  As for handwriting, well mine is a mess.  

I tried chiseling away at the ice at the bottom of my driveway the other day.  I put a lot of salt on it and let it set to get to work and then went out an hour later.  I made very little headway on it, but my hands have been very painful since then.  It is the arthritis in my  hands reacting to the jarring assault of chipping away ice.  

Today's meal sounds good but is a bit high in carbs for me.  This first recipe is a simple and easy one.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rigatoni-with-sausage-peas/

1060206187_Rigatoniwithsausageandpeas1.jpg.d371699bb2d43077bc1875cbc479bc96.jpg

This one steps up the seasoning a bit.  https://thebakersalmanac.com/rigatoni-with-sausage-and-peas/

1597045122_Rigatoniwithsausageandpeas2.thumb.jpg.912ed99b5bea877285921c7070ba72d3.jpg

And this one includes a touch of vodka in the sauce.  https://www.cookingwithnonna.com/italian-cuisine/rigatoni-with-sausage-and-peas-in-vodka-sauce.html

757810056_rigatoniwithsausageandpeas3.jpg.a3909a7d5588a3bb6d35150b87c91e49.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those who are celebrating.  

Enjoy!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 9

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  My husband and I had a wonderful cruise on the Veendam in 2018.  We love the smaller ships.  Here are two pictures from our stop in Quebec.

B51DFD7D-E665-4D1D-AC62-9F85E6DB7782.jpeg

E7FBAE2E-33AE-49B7-8005-B16A45911B2E.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  My husband and I had a wonderful cruise on the Veendam in 2018.  We love the smaller ships.  Here are two pictures from our stop in Quebec.

Welcome to posting on the Daily.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. I  will give away my rhubarb pie and my handwriting is terrible. I share my birthday with John Hancock and intend to celebrate by NOT cooking today. We are getting restaurant takeout(as opposed to diner takeout) for dinner and I very much look forward to it. DD is baking a cake so I will be a princess for the day.

We have been to Quebec City a few times and always enjoy it. I will look on the laptop and see if pictures will load now.

It remains chilly here and DD’s kitties have the right idea.

7738F55D-F27B-421D-A2E3-49768605BFA6.jpeg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is snowing again here in northeast Ohio.   I'm going to have to go out and rescue my garbage and recycle bins so that I can get to them when I need to.  Maybe I'll put them back behind the giant snow wall that the plow service created.  I can get them out now.  

I like pies more than cake and always wanted my mom to make more of them.  We had cake often, especially between March 11th and May 11th as 7 out of 8 of us had birthdays then.  Rhubarb is a favorite of mine, but I stay away from it for two reasons.  First is the sugar load but second is because rhubarb is one of the four highest foods in oxalates and oxalates play a significant role in kidney stone formation.  I am prone to kidney stones so I stay away from the four top culprits:  spinach, rhubarb, almonds, and beets.  As for handwriting, well mine is a mess.  

I tried chiseling away at the ice at the bottom of my driveway the other day.  I put a lot of salt on it and let it set to get to work and then went out an hour later.  I made very little headway on it, but my hands have been very painful since then.  It is the arthritis in my  hands reacting to the jarring assault of chipping away ice.  

Today's meal sounds good but is a bit high in carbs for me.  This first recipe is a simple and easy one.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rigatoni-with-sausage-peas/

1060206187_Rigatoniwithsausageandpeas1.jpg.d371699bb2d43077bc1875cbc479bc96.jpg

This one steps up the seasoning a bit.  https://thebakersalmanac.com/rigatoni-with-sausage-and-peas/

1597045122_Rigatoniwithsausageandpeas2.thumb.jpg.912ed99b5bea877285921c7070ba72d3.jpg

And this one includes a touch of vodka in the sauce.  https://www.cookingwithnonna.com/italian-cuisine/rigatoni-with-sausage-and-peas-in-vodka-sauce.html

757810056_rigatoniwithsausageandpeas3.jpg.a3909a7d5588a3bb6d35150b87c91e49.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those who are celebrating.  

Enjoy!

great recipes,thanks Debbie. My sympathies about the pain in the hands.I have RA and find the hand pain sometimes the worst of it.Repetitive activities are real culprits.

• Like 25

Just now, smitty34877 said:

great recipes,thanks Debbie. My sympathies about the pain in the hands.I have RA and find the hand pain sometimes the worst of it.Repetitive activities are real culprits.

It will eventually go away.  It is only bad if I try to do something that requires hand strength.  My grandmother had arthritis in her hands and her treatment was two scotch sours each night.

• Like 19
  • Haha 17

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A double salute to pie today.  My handwriting is so bad I should have been a Doctor, and perhaps that would explain why people have trouble understanding a single word I "say" in longhand.  Been distracted this morning watching the sail-ins and the sad soap opera that looks like the end of my beloved Crystal Cruises.  The meal sounds nice.  I've been to Quebec many times but never on a BHB although I was due to board Zuiderdam there last year.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture

Marshhawk DH in family limbo
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
Mr. Boston awaiting biopsy results
JAM37 DGD and ger_77 DGS with covid
Cruzin Terri lump surgery 1/25 and problems from missing just one day medication
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Btimmer(not sure if this is actually the first time but I think so)
Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam in Everglades
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Bon voyage bobpatj
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29) at sea
Cruising single and garlictown in Hawaii
Good riddance to one of Sam’s aides
Marley cancer free
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Jose elbow not broken
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in FloridaTana out of ICU
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

Good morning from Ft. Lauderdale.  Turn around day and another group trapsing down to customs and back.  Always someone who doesn't think it applies to them and we stand and wait. 

Love any kind of pie, my sister makes the best.

Great quote.  We have not been to today's destination.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Samba Margarita:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1/2 part Agave Nectar
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
1 part Lime Juice
Garnish with Red Chili Pepper

Instructions
Combine and shake ingredients with ice. Strain in a chilled glass. Garnish with chili pepper.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 7.58.56 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Brutally Northwoods cold here, sub negative 20’s Fahrenheit. At -40/F the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales converge.  Rhubarb Pie, oh my…favorite. Adding a dash of Almond Extract to recipe is nearly mandatory. Oscar Wilde, of the aesthetic movement ie ‘Art for Art’s Sake’. Appears cruising of a similar nature, ‘Cruising for Cruising’s Sake’??

• Like 28

18 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

Thank you for your pictures. Hope to "see" you more often.

• Like 27

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I  will give away my rhubarb pie and my handwriting is terrible. I share my birthday with John Hancock and intend to celebrate by NOT cooking today. We are getting restaurant takeout(as opposed to diner takeout) for dinner and I very much look forward to it. DD is baking a cake so I will be a princess for the day.

Happy Birthday!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1