Yacht Club Drink Package and Specialty Restaurants

PDXer2

22 hours ago, kernow said:

We were able to use our premium package in Hola on Virtuosa last June, we are going again in May, if we can no longer use the package I assume we can just carry a drink from elsewhere in with us?

In September 2021 on Virtuosa we used the YC drinks package in Hola for Tequilas.   

In December 2021 on Virtuosa no drinks packages were accepted in Hola.

11 hours ago, PDXer2 said:

Really excited this is my first experience with MSC and the Yacht Club.

Enjoy!

YC is a lovely experience and will spoil you.

I think my best piece of advice (you didn't ask, so you get what you pay for 😉 ) is the butlers and staff are there to serve, and are not your servants. Enjoy the service and remember they work extraordinary hours to provide it. Its post cvd so there are likely newer folks in positions so a drop of grace and patience will go a long way for all of us.

I say that too knowing the crew we knew in Feb 2020 on Merv won't be there when we arrive. And so I need to remind myself to not compare.

Dining- if you see a pasta/risotto/main on the menu you think you'll enjoy, try it. As they rotate and it won't be back again during your sailing (except for "every day items". 

Lights- don't forget to adjust the "occupied"/free lights for your housekeeping or they won't come to clean your room if they think you are there

Lighthouse show can be seen from the pool deck and you can hear the revelers having fun.

Happy sailing 🙂

On 1/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, JAGR said:

Your posting highlights MSC and the art of miscommunication.  Your experience (getting drinks in the specialty restaurants)  probably did happen, but it is against MSC stated policy, which is attached.  We all know that MSC is a left hand fooling the right hand operation.  While you may enjoy an exception or exceptions to the rules, nonetheless the rules are there.  I suspect servers have been  bending the rules in specialty restaurants because of low load factors.  I am of the opinion that the rules will become more sacrosanct as load factors begin to climb in the coming months.

Interesting point about Hola being a third party.  While that is definitely the case for Venchi an Jean Phillipe, I was under the understanding that Hola was a limited partnership between MSC and Ramon Freixa, formed in 2019.  He also partnered earlier with them on the Ocean Cay restaurants.  If Hola is  a third party, is that also the case for Ocean Cay? Shouldn't they both be the same?

image.png

As others stated the US site does say different.  I did notice there is a lot of confusion with the lower packages. 

When eating in the specialty restaurants on the Meravigilia Dec 27th sailing they simply asked if we had the premium package when I ordered a drink and no problem.  It was NOT an issue at all.  I attached the wording from the US site as well for your reference. 

F6712072-D904-40D0-B0B1-4F6DABCBB052.heic

Edited by skyking
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, dexddd said:

Not sure how you interpret that.  Unlimited in YC would seem to mean just that, but we all know there are upcharge items.

I interpret that as you can order unlimited drinks from the included selection of drinks, not that everything is included.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I interpret that as you can order unlimited drinks from the included selection of drinks, not that everything is included.

Yes, that is precisely how we interpret it also.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That is only because you are experienced MSC cruiser.  To a newbie it could mean something else.  That is what I was trying to say.  E.g. How many threads do we have here on what is included in a drink package?   Not saying exclusive to MSC as other lines have drink limits or dollar limits.

Look at NCL 'free' perks that come with surcharge.  You have to be a lawyer to understand all the marketing junk the lines throw out.

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

That is only because you are experienced MSC cruiser.  To a newbie it could mean something else.  That is what I was trying to say.  E.g. How many threads do we have here on what is included in a drink package?   Not saying exclusive to MSC as other lines have drink limits or dollar limits.

Look at NCL 'free' perks that come with surcharge.  You have to be a lawyer to understand all the marketing junk the lines throw out.

It's also possible that different things are included depending on where/how the cruise is booked.

What I don't like with MSCs drink packages is that if a drink is over the dollar limit the whole price must be paid for the drink.

9 hours ago, skyking said:

As others stated the US site does say different.  I did notice there is a lot of confusion with the lower packages. 

When eating in the specialty restaurants on the Meravigilia Dec 27th sailing they simply asked if we had the premium package when I ordered a drink and no problem.  It was NOT an issue at all.  I attached the wording from the US site as well for your reference. 

F6712072-D904-40D0-B0B1-4F6DABCBB052.heic 1.88 MB · 5 downloads

I cut and past the USA site as well. Two things are obvious now, and should be patently obvious ot anyone with two or more cruises with MSC:

1.  Their IT and web site is both out of date and contradictory.  You can find "facts" showing one thing is allowed on one page of the site, and one showing it is not allowed.  That is the one fact.

2.  Everyone has different experiences.  They are just that: experiences, not actual and formal policy.  For every one who got drinks in the specialty restaurant, another person reports they couldn't.  The experiences are simply a moment in time, base on the way the guest interacts with MSC staff, the level of knowledge of the current MSC "policy" on the part of the staff member, the amount of latitude that the staff member is allowed or willing to take, the position of the stars, the cruise location, etc.  To cite your experience as the actual rule is an exercise in folly. We all have different experiences.  Great butlers and junior butlers, MIA or incompetent butlers and junior butlers, a flexible concierge, a rigid concierge.  Different experiences do not equal a rule or policy.  Please share your experiences, but share them as that.  Not an "absolute rule."

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

I cut and past the USA site as well. Two things are obvious now, and should be patently obvious ot anyone with two or more cruises with MSC:

1.  Their IT and web site is both out of date and contradictory.  You can find "facts" showing one thing is allowed on one page of the site, and one showing it is not allowed.  That is the one fact.

2.  Everyone has different experiences.  They are just that: experiences, not actual and formal policy.  For every one who got drinks in the specialty restaurant, another person reports they couldn't.  The experiences are simply a moment in time, base on the way the guest interacts with MSC staff, the level of knowledge of the current MSC "policy" on the part of the staff member, the amount of latitude that the staff member is allowed or willing to take, the position of the stars, the cruise location, etc.  To cite your experience as the actual rule is an exercise in folly. We all have different experiences.  Great butlers and junior butlers, MIA or incompetent butlers and junior butlers, a flexible concierge, a rigid concierge.  Different experiences do not equal a rule or policy.  Please share your experiences, but share them as that.  Not an "absolute rule."

Thank you for your insight. 

Edited by skyking

Concierge in YC at embarkation: Merv

YC drink package up to $15 all over ship except Spanish tapas restaurant and JP choc shop..those two are franchised and not MSC biz centers.

so YC package is good at Butchers Cut, Japanese restaurant and seafood restaurant as well as bars etc.

$15 limit per drink

Ordering drink over limit charged full price plus service. 

Hope that helps

Sailed Yacht Club on Seashore in December.

You had to purchase drinks at Hola (only dining venue, you had to)

When the waiter told us, we said just water and then I walked right out the door where there was a bar and grabbed a couple of sodas and brought them to our table.

• 2 weeks later...