Solo cruising when you are older

gailellen12

I have done a couple of solo cruises when I was younger. Now that I am a senior I am a little more reluctant to do them alone.  Think it is probably a combination of my age and the times we are living in. If you are a senior solo cruiser would love to hear about your travels to inspire me to get out there again. I do have a solo cruise booked for June but am wavering. Gailellen 12

• Like 1

@gailellen12:

I don't know your age (and I wouldn't presume to ask), but I can tell you that I took a total of four solo cruises in my late 60's, all on big ships. They worked out fine, largely because I went on them with a sense of optimism and adventure. (I usually travel with my wife---we've been on twenty cruises together and many land-based trips---but she wasn't interested in 3000+ passenger ships and I wanted to see what they're like).

I got inside cabins every time, partly to save money but mainly to force myself to be out and about on the ship all day long. I met plenty of people, both other solos but also couples, in all sorts of onboard venues: restaurants, bars, early-morning coffee shops, the gym....I almost always had dinner by myself, by choice, although I often wound up having conversations with people at nearby tables. And if I didn't, I spent the dinner enjoying my food, sipping my wine, and people-watching.

As long as you don't feel inhibited by your age, your age shouldn't matter. I had a lot of very nice interactions with people half my age, as well as some who were older than me.

Be confident and you'll be fine.

Jim

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@gailellen12  I second what @jimdee3636 mentioned; I think a lot of it has to do with attitude.  I love cruising and my DH doesn't, so I resolved to try solo cruising -- and I really enjoy it!  I, too, traveled a lot in my "youth" and wondered about how I would feel about being on my own in a strange city (getting to the ship) and how being by myself on the ship would work.  It was fine.  It's actually a relief not to have to worry about someone else having a good time (or not) and being able to follow any schedule I want -- or no schedule at all.  Also, I found that people are as approachable as I want them to be.  My solo (2-top) table in the MDR on Freedom OTS was right next to a couple who would engage me in conversation, but were happy to enjoy each other's company as well -- perfect!  I will say that I did find someone (another woman about 1/2 my age with her young son) with whom I shared a lot of interests and experiences, and it was nice to have someone to explore Nassau with.  I'm not sure I would have been as adventurous had I been on my own.  I would definitely encourage you to try it!

• Like 7

Hi, not sure how old you are and what is considered a "senior" anymore........I am 63......guess I am because I am able to get Sr discounts around town LOL..........

As for cruising solo? Been doing it for almost 20 years and still love it.🙂......actually, it is the only way I cruise.  When cruising re-started this past summer, I restarted with them. Yes, there were protocols in place but I love being on ship and it is so much better than being here at home!   I went on 4 sailings from July to Dec and have 2 more booked for April.🙂.......making up for the lost year of 2020!

• Like 11

Excellent posts by all of those who have responded to the OP.  One's age ought not be a concern whether a solo travels alone or not.  As long as one is mobile and have all of their mental faculties working, a cruise may be the most appropriate type of travel for solos.  As I have become more senior, stability issues as well as the difficulty in walking long distances have made my travels more challenging.  But, I have persevered and, before Covid became an issue in March, 2020, I was dealing well with those challenges.  I encourage the OP to "get out there and enjoy life"!  

• Like 2

One other thought. It's always a good idea to be a "regular" at the venues you like the most on any ship. You'll get to know some of the other regulars who show up around the same time, as well as the crew members who work in that venue. For example, one of the things I like most about Princess ships is the 24-hour International Cafe'. I'm an early riser, even when on vacation, so I'll head down to the I.C. as soon as I'm out of bed (sometimes before 6:00AM), have coffee and a breakfast sandwich, and chat with the other early risers and the baristas and watch the place slowly fill up. it's an easy way to meet people and a pleasant way to start the day. By the second or third morning there, I'm waving to people as I walk in and feeling like I'm a member of a club.

• Like 5

I cruise solo most of the time (I'm 60 so I think I qualify as a single). It is an easier way to travel internationally, for me, since I don't have as many planes/trains/buses to coordinate to move around a country or continent. The ship does it for you. You do see many of the same people every day and can find those with common interests so you do not have to do everything alone if you don't want to. I have made friends playing trivia at the same time every day, with the same people; on my rollcall, before the cruise, planning excursions; slot pulls; meet and mingles or a gathering for drinks.

Sometimes, as a single woman, couples don't want to talk with me but if I meet people at a game or online before the cruise, we already have a common interest and it is easier once we are on the ship to continue a friendship.

Cruising is my favorite vacation. Since I want to travel and no one else in my life does at the moment, I go alone and make it as much fun as I want it to be.

• Like 8

I just wanted to add my comments to all the good feedback so far. I'm another senior (just turned 70) solo cruiser who has no intentions of slowing down. I think of myself as a little introverted, but, on a cruise, you immediately have something in common with everyone, so striking up a conversation is easy. As others have mentioned, solos get to selfishly set their own agendas which can be refreshing. I enjoy eating solo in the MDR and am always totally spoiled by my waiters. Wherever I choose to hang out on the ship, I generally find interesting people, of all ages, solo or not, to chat with (and the conversations tend to be more interesting than I would have had at home). Or if I want to zone out alone on a deck chair, that's fine. So, get out there! Enjoy! Life's too short to do otherwise.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi, lots of great advise on this topic, only cruised solo 2 times, but it seems that I will be cruising solo much more. I am currently booked solo on Anthem in April. 

I don't want the fact that I don't have anyone to  cruise with stop me from cruising. 

I love cruising.

• Like 4

Ok, I'm the oldest on this post, 74.  I have 5 solo cruises booked this year to a variety of countries.  You have to know your limitations.  I always try to walk at least 2 miles a day during the month before my cruises so I build up my stamina.  I also try to do long cruise or b2b's so the crew gets to know me and looks out for me.  Age shouldn't hold you back if you can physically and mentally handle the cruise you select.  

• Like 9

If you're mostly healthy, and can get yourself medical assistance on your own accord if need be, you'll be fine cruising solo at any age. 

I remember someone I met on my solo cruise in 2013 (on Sensation).  He was in early 70's, and was at my assigned dinner table.  He was was more mild-mannered than myself, but far from shy; he kept up conversations pretty well.  While he didn't partake in tearing up the dance floor at Señor Frog's with me and my other tablemates (who were close to me in age), or hang out with us outside of dinner, based on how he talked, he clearly seemed to be enjoying his solo cruise a lot.  

A cruise ship is like a college campus for adults---especially older, smaller ships.  Everyone eats in the same venues and congregates in the same places.  So you easily run into people you've met earlier.  It's an environment that enables social encounters.  Leverage that!

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, gailellen12 said:

I have done a couple of solo cruises when I was younger. Now that I am a senior I am a little more reluctant to do them alone.  Think it is probably a combination of my age and the times we are living in. If you are a senior solo cruiser would love to hear about your travels to inspire me to get out there again. I do have a solo cruise booked for June but am wavering. Gailellen 12

I am definitely a senior at 81 but going solo June 23rd!  My husband won't set foot on a ship, soooo I go either with or without friends!  Have done a solo before but with a friend onboard!  This time I will be making new friends! 😃 And, I love the freedom of not having to plan everything around others schedule or likes/dislikes!  My advice... Don't waiver and go! 😃

• Like 7

On 2/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, rkacruiser said:

Sorry, you are not.  I am 4 years older.  I agree with what you posted.  Oh, to be 74 again!  Do what you can do while you can do it!  

OK, looks like I'm taking over the senior solo title at 81!! ❤ Love cruising and husband won't, soooo I go when I can, with or without friends! 😃 Am booked on Adventure of the Seas, June 23rd and after such a long cruise drought, really looking forward to it!  Snorkel and flip flops ready to go! 😎

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I met a lady in her 90s on a cruise pre covid. There’s always a few retirees amongst the solos as they’re the one’s that can book on the cheap last minute if they live anywhere near an embarkation port.  If you want to play it safe pick a cruiseline that has a solos program like NCL, while it’s the largest ships in NCL have the solo-specific cabins they do (or did pre-covid) operate the solos host on the jewel-class ships as well. I believe HAL has similar meet-ups in their daily schedule but others here would know better than I. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dear friend who i have frequently travelled with for years, but she doesnt like TAs. So i did one last fall, and have another scheduled this fall. One advantage i love about  solo is that i tend to feel cold, while she cant tolerate being warmer, so solo i can control room temp to tolerable for me. I loved not having to have extra blankets and sleeping in sweats. 

Its wonderful to share experiences and i look forward to our May cruise, but I also look forward to the one this fall. So for me, destination/type of cruise matters - I want to share museums and attractions with someone with like tastes and to have a swimming buddy feels safer, but for lazy days with lots of at sea days i really prefer solo.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, herbanrenewal said:

One advantage i love about  solo is that i tend to feel cold, while she cant tolerate being warmer, so solo i can control room temp to tolerable for me. I loved not having to have extra blankets and sleeping in sweats. 

LOL!  I had a traveling companion that liked it warm (a citizen of Fort Pierce, Florida) while I prefer cooler temperatures.  Our stateroom's thermostat was probably quite pleased when we left the cruise.  I would turn it down; she would turn it up; repeat; repeat.....  So, yes, being able to control the stateroom's temperature is certainly an advantage!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, herbanrenewal said:

I have a dear friend who i have frequently travelled with for years, but she doesnt like TAs. So i did one last fall, and have another scheduled this fall. One advantage i love about  solo is that i tend to feel cold, while she cant tolerate being warmer, so solo i can control room temp to tolerable for me. I loved not having to have extra blankets and sleeping in sweats. 

Its wonderful to share experiences and i look forward to our May cruise, but I also look forward to the one this fall. So for me, destination/type of cruise matters - I want to share museums and attractions with someone with like tastes and to have a swimming buddy feels safer, but for lazy days with lots of at sea days i really prefer solo.

Good points! I've only been on three cruises so far, two of which were solo. I have two more planned for this year and suspect all future cruises will be solo (by choice). The main thing I miss about traveling with people is that I don't have anyone to reminisce and share inside jokes with after it's over. The benefits outweigh this though and I always have a good time!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, IRMO12HD said:

As many have said its all about attitude. I'm a young 65 and I've taken 11 cruises. Six have been solo. There's pros and cons either way. I'm sort of a free spirit and control freak so  solo is no big deal. I dislike having to pay the double occupancy price (Carnival and Royal Caribbean). MSC is more democratic for solo cruisers. I realize the cruise lines are in business to earn profits. I wish there were more special smaller solo cabins where you'd pay less. Hopefully these will be a feature on the newer mega ships. And, its cool to not have to share your cabin bathroom. When I get off at the ports of call, I can go at my own pace. I'm not a fan of shopping at your standard chain stores when on vacation, holiday. If you've seen one Ron Don, Harley Davidson or Senior Frogs you've pretty much seen them all. Not to be sexist but, if I was a female solo traveler I'd stick to excursions or abstain from leaving the ports of Nassau, Jamaica and La Romana to name a few. The locals pounce on you like a hungry hippo jumps on raw meat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, zippyjet said:

I wish there were more special smaller solo cabins where you'd pay less.

HAL's Pinnacle Class ships have a few.  I think that are a few that have been installed on QM2.  Not sure if QE or QV have any.  Maybe the newbuild--Queen Anne (?) will have a few.

17 hours ago, zippyjet said:

If you've seen one Ron Don, Harley Davidson or Senior Frogs you've pretty much seen them all.

Agree with you about Ron Don and Harley Davidson, but I do enjoy visiting Senior Frogs whenever I can.  

On 3/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, rkacruiser said:

LOL!  I had a traveling companion that liked it warm (a citizen of Fort Pierce, Florida) while I prefer cooler temperatures.  Our stateroom's thermostat was probably quite pleased when we left the cruise.  I would turn it down; she would turn it up; repeat; repeat.....  So, yes, being able to control the stateroom's temperature is certainly an advantage!  

I'm with you, if it's above 72 F I'm calling guest services and alerting my steward. I prefer 65-70 F myself. I'm firm, persistent but courteous/friendly when reaching out regarding cabin issues such as poor A/C. Unlike most hotels, its much harder to change cabins especially now that cruising is literally back to pre pandemic levels.

• Like 1