NCL cruise + flight package

Traveller20074

11 hours ago, usahawk1 said:

AA did cancel our flight for the 29th and rebooked for the 28th. This was because of snow expected the morning of the 29th. Feeling relief getting in a day early now

Hope it works for you.  Had a recent AA trip mechanical issue, best they could do was 30 hours late.  Delta flight nearby boarding with room, no, AA would not move us.

• Thanks 1

When I tried to use it we had no options to paying for upgrade our seats.  Flights were not convenient at all with multiple stops.  Not worth it for me and the family  but others may find that it works for them.

1 hour ago, marksfamilyof4 said:

I have a question.  What happens if my red eye flight to orlando gets cancelled. I have the NCL air package and transfers.  I do not have travel insurance.  Am I responsbile for getting to the boat if the flight is delayed or cancelled?

You call NCL for assistance but I think you have ultimate responsibility - hope I never have to find out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marksfamilyof4 said:

I have a question.  What happens if my red eye flight to orlando gets cancelled. I have the NCL air package and transfers.  I do not have travel insurance.  Am I responsbile for getting to the boat if the flight is delayed or cancelled?

Its NCL's responsibility to book your flight. It is you and the airline's responsibility to get you to your destination. If there are mass cancelations like recently, you will not make your cruise. Usually it is too late when they do the cancelations and too few flights available to get everyone around. It is chaos. Friends stood in line in MIA or FLL I think for 8 hours. All on the phone trying to get through to airline agents. When they got to the counter after forever, it was "we don't have any flights available. Try calling the reservations number." They got out 3 days later. 

On a similar note, the refund is because you are not going to use the NCL transfer that you were charged for. We have an AK cruisetour on the books for next year and the only transfer we have paid for is the one from Vancouver pier to the airport, if we decide to spend an extra day or two in Vancouver we will get that money back.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:43 AM, marksfamilyof4 said:

I can tell you from experience what happened to me. We had NCL air and transfers for flight from New Orleans to New York for 14 day cruise back to New Orleans. Flight was on AA leaving at 5:10 AM on day of cruise with connection in Charlotte. At 4:07 PM the day before the cruise I was notified via text from AA that the flight out of New Orleans was cancelled. I called NCL, after 13 minutes on phone with them was told to call AA as they cancelled the flight. Called AA and was on the phone with them for 16 minutes and agent could not find a flight except with another airline that left in 45 minutes which I could not make in time. He suggested I call NCL again. Called NCL back, after 5 minutes, agent trying to get the air department told me she would call me back. After 16 minutes agent said she could not get the Air department to pick up. She told me “I would suggest if you want to go on the cruise you need to try to make your own travel arrangements.” Said she would put notes in. I could not find a flight for the next morning that would get us to New York in time for the cruise. Found a Non stop delta flight that left at 7:50 PM in 2.5 hours. Booked it. Grandson drove us to airport. Called and reserved a hotel room in New York. Could not use the NCL transfers so we used uber from airport to hotel and hotel to port the next morning. Travel agent tried to get some reimbursement but as of today NCL has not refunded anything! They said that I 'OPTED' to make my own arrangements. We spent over $900. We are also Platinum level members!

The above post is my fear with using NCL Air, but I don't think it would matter much whoever you used for air travel. In the case of a canceled flight, you are at the mercy of the airlines and they are about as heartless as anyone. The FAA and government have allowed them to basically put the airlines above passenger rights. It would be a hard pill to swallow to make a 13-hour drive to the port if our flights are canceled. 

9 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

I can tell you from experience what happened to me. We had NCL air and transfers for flight from New Orleans to New York for 14 day cruise back to New Orleans. Flight was on AA leaving at 5:10 AM on day of cruise with connection in Charlotte. At 4:07 PM the day before the cruise I was notified via text from AA that the flight out of New Orleans was cancelled. I called NCL, after 13 minutes on phone with them was told to call AA as they cancelled the flight. Called AA and was on the phone with them for 16 minutes and agent could not find a flight except with another airline that left in 45 minutes which I could not make in time. He suggested I call NCL again. Called NCL back, after 5 minutes, agent trying to get the air department told me she would call me back. After 16 minutes agent said she could not get the Air department to pick up. She told me “I would suggest if you want to go on the cruise you need to try to make your own travel arrangements.” Said she would put notes in. I could not find a flight for the next morning that would get us to New York in time for the cruise. Found a Non stop delta flight that left at 7:50 PM in 2.5 hours. Booked it. Grandson drove us to airport. Called and reserved a hotel room in New York. Could not use the NCL transfers so we used uber from airport to hotel and hotel to port the next morning. Travel agent tried to get some reimbursement but as of today NCL has not refunded anything! They said that I 'OPTED' to make my own arrangements. We spent over $900. We are also Platinum level members!

Another AA fail.  And NCL left you in ditch.

9 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

Your situation was quite unfortunate, however, even "Ambassador" status would not likely have changed the end results!

Did you have Travel Insurance?  That's where I would take my concisely written claim for reimbursement.

15 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

Had the same happen to me. NCL said it was my responsibility so I made a claim via my CC for the original flight costs as the service was cancelled

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

Good details to help people remember to always try to fly in the day before (which isn't even foolproof) and to always purchase travel insurance. I'm not saying any of this to shame anyone. I'm saying this as a cautionary tale. This exact scenario has probably been increasingly common in the last few years.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:46 PM, Cowboy296 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I hope you get refunded

16 hours ago, weltek said:

Good details to help people remember to always try to fly in the day before (which isn't even foolproof) and to always purchase travel insurance. I'm not saying any of this to shame anyone. I'm saying this as a cautionary tale. This exact scenario has probably been increasingly common in the last few years.

Which we normally do fly in day prior.  Maybe now days it should be two.  AA best they could do was 30 hours late despite Delta flight one gate over had room but AA would not move us.  Glad our airline stimulus money working hard for us.

Just sharing my experience FWIW. We got a BOGO and just received our flights.  We took a deviation for the inbound so arriving 2-days early.  Still they booked us on the first flight out at 6AM.  For return, we arrive at port at 7AM but they booked us on a 10:30PM red-eye flight getting home at 10AM the next day.  Both are basic economy (bags extra). All are on UNITED, and I could buy the exact same (bad) itinerary for $527 today.  While I could and would have picked a little different times, the prices were very similar.

So we paid NCL $324 for one flight (actually $299 after our deviation credit).  In return we received $1,054 in flights for two.  So a savings of $730 is pretty significant and worthy of giving up some control, as long as you are willing to be flexible.  

I grabbed my booking number they sent me and was instantly able to put in our frequent flyer/ global entry numbers and could book bags/ seat upgrades / packages directly with the airline.

• Like 2

I should add, we received the email 51 days prior to our flight and once I logged into United, I could see they had booked it 2 days before we got the email.

We booked together with NCL but none of our seats assigned were together, but I was able to adjust that with the airline.

Just got ours.  It’s a red eye (but it has to be to board on time) from detroit to San Juan.  And the return trip from Newark is 1pm.  Not bad imo.   Saved us $1200 for 4 adults.  Also it’s on Delta and I was able to pick out seats so we are together. 

Edited by Pappion

On 1/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, surfone said:

I am really confused Lol   we just booked a May cruise with the 2nd guest flies free (booked it about a week ago)  the rep said it will cost us $25 more per person if we do NOT fly on the same day of embark and disembark.

We booked NCL air today, SLC - SEA and we paid a $25 deviation fee, but just on one person. It seems to me it might depend on the market you are in. I can tell you this, booking directly with Delta or Alaska Airlines would have cost each couple $740. With NCL's free at sea promotion it cost $325.  Really a great savings. 

32 minutes ago, cc-riderslc said:

We booked NCL air today, SLC - SEA and we paid a $25 deviation fee, but just on one person. It seems to me it might depend on the market you are in. I can tell you this, booking directly with Delta or Alaska Airlines would have cost each couple $740. With NCL's free at sea promotion it cost $325.  Really a great savings. 

Somebody is confused.  Per NCL website:

Deviation Requests: Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation.

• Like 2

Right you are. The agent on the phone said it would be a $25 debit for each person. When I got the invoice it was actually a $25 credit. What they said and what was actually done two different things. I'm happy. That is a $50 swing in my favor. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...