Azamara or Celebrity - Need to choose after Crystal Cruise Cancelled

cinbeach

I had several Crystal Cruises planned this year and have cancelled due to Crystal's situation.

I can choose Celebrity's new Edge or Azamara Onward for two Mediterranean cruises - one in June and another in October.

I have sailed before on Celebrity when I went with my family years ago - but have only sailed on the Luxury lines like Silversea, Seabourn, Regent.

So would greatly appreciate any feedback on how perhaps Azamara might compare to the other lines I have sailed or would Celebrity be a better choice because it is brand new.

Thanks Cindy   

Azamara is one step down from Crystal.  Celebrity is two steps down.  Azamara's biggest strength is their destination-immersion itineraries, because their small ships allow them to go anywhere [even sailing up the Guadalquivir River to dock right in Seville].  Celebrity's large ships force them to stick to the 'top-10' ports [and bus passengers to Seville from Cadiz].  Azamara's basic cabins are small, but the Club Continent Suites are acceptable and the CO and CW suites are quite large – and all suites come with unlimited dining in the specialty restaurants and other amenities.  And finally, the onboard ambience on Azamara is much closer to Crystal, rather than Celebrity's new focus on loud music everywhere.  With this combination of assets, Azamara will be much closer to your Crystal experience. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Azamara is much closer to Crystal, rather than Celebrity's new focus on loud music everywhere. 

That said, I was a bit disappointed with the addition of piped in music on the pool deck on my Azamara Christmas cruise. And an endless loop of the same songs too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Azamara is one step down from Crystal.  Celebrity is two steps down.  Azamara's biggest strength is their destination-immersion itineraries, because their small ships allow them to go anywhere [even sailing up the Guadalquivir River to dock right in Seville].  Celebrity's large ships force them to stick to the 'top-10' ports [and bus passengers to Seville from Cadiz].  Azamara's basic cabins are small, but the Club Continent Suites are acceptable and the CO and CW suites are quite large – and all suites come with unlimited dining in the specialty restaurants and other amenities.  And finally, the onboard ambience on Azamara is much closer to Crystal, rather than Celebrity's new focus on loud music everywhere.  With this combination of assets, Azamara will be much closer to your Crystal experience. 

Azamara being "a step down" from Crystal depends on what is important to you.  There were some aspects of our recent Crystal cruise that were "a step up," but others that were "a step down" from Azamara.  Crystal's "basic cabins" are also small, particularly when compared with other cruise lines that purport to be luxury.

• Like 1

Hi.  I have sailed both lines. Azamara is a lot less crowded than a Celebrity ship.  Although I have sailed Celebrity and have enjoyed them, there is sometimes difficulty finding seat at bars, etc.  I never had that problem on my Azamara sailing -- and I have RARELY had a problem on Crystal (when we could sail them).

• Like 2

Really depends on what you’re looking for. Azamara is lovely. Small vessels. Different from Crystal and Celebrity which I’ve sailed. I wouldn’t enjoy Celebrity bc of the size and the hubbub. Azamara would be closer to the Crystal experience but on a smaller vessel and not as many amenities included. Staff and crew are terrific.

• Like 2

We like both Celebrity and Azamara, but for anything other than the Caribbean or possibly West Coast/Hawaii, would go with Azamara.  The more unique ports, smaller ships and longer times in port are an advantage for Azamara.

• Like 3

We enjoy both cruise lines, and HAL too.  Two different experiences.  Azamara is a small ship, wonderful service and food. Celebrity is a big ship, which allows for more venues for eating and entertainment. So it depends on what you like about cruising….service or activities. 
No matter which cruise line you choose, have a great time! 

• Like 1

Hi, some good feedback given.

If you're looking at 2 cruises, have you considered trying both lines?

There’s no substitute for experiencing things first hand to gauge if your boxes are ticked or not.

Sorry about your cancelled Crystal cruises.  

Regards

• Like 1

The smallest Celebrity ship is >2000 passengers.  All the Azamara ships are about 690 passengeres.  IMHO, about 1000 passengers is about the maximum that there should be on cruise ship.  How many were there on the Crystal ships.  Think about it.

DON

• Like 1

It's been a few years since we were on Celebrity.  We did enjoy it except for one thing - loud music everywhere.  You had to retreat to your cabin and shut the door to get away from it.  Four of us were in the martini bar and could not hold a conversation.  From perusing the Celebrity forum, it looks like it is every bit as bad as it was in spite of constant complaints from passengers.  So we will avoid Celebrity because of that.

If your looking for a slightly more upmarket experience on Celebrity, The Retreat is worth a try......

It is all suites and I found it to be very good value.

Its own restaurant, Luminae was excellent.

It also has its own Sundeck and Lounge.....but you still have the advantage of the "big ship " for shows and entertainment, if that's your thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, futian said:

If your looking for a slightly more upmarket experience on Celebrity, The Retreat is worth a try......

It is all suites and I found it to be very good value.

Its own restaurant, Luminae was excellent.

It also has its own Sundeck and Lounge.....but you still have the advantage of the "big ship " for shows and entertainment, if that's your thing. 

It seemed like a good idea, until this current cruise on Oceania showed us how much better it is when the entire ship is up to/above Retreat standards...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairgarth said:

It's been a few years since we were on Celebrity.  We did enjoy it except for one thing - loud music everywhere.  You had to retreat to your cabin and shut the door to get away from it.  Four of us were in the martini bar and could not hold a conversation.  From perusing the Celebrity forum, it looks like it is every bit as bad as it was in spite of constant complaints from passengers.  So we will avoid Celebrity because of that.

It's the main bugbear I have with them. Drives me nuts. The martini bar used to be my favourite hang out, but like you the music has just become intrusive. I've got a cruise on Apex booked for October and seriously hope I can retreat to retreat if it gets too much. 

Phil 

• Like 3

We sailed on all three lines. I would say that Azamara is pretty close to Crystal in terms of service and food. Entertainment was much better on Crystal, and Azamara cabins are really small, especially the showers, even in veranda cabins. Otherwise it was great experience on both lines.

Celebrity is ok overall, but it's in a different league. Food is few steps below Crystal/Azamara, much more crowded, and the passengers/crew ratio is much worse, and service is definitely not the same.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It seemed like a good idea, until this current cruise on Oceania showed us how much better it is when the entire ship is up to/above Retreat standards...

just curious......which ship were you on in The Retreat?

We enjoy Azamara for the itineraries but the cabins are quite small, especially the bathroom, so we book a larger suite. We are on Celebrity Silhouette now, sailing toward Aruba. The Retreat amenities are lovely, the food in Luminae delicious. Due to Covid, we are sailing with only 962 passengers, so it’s really spacious, no waiting, no lines. Enjoy your travels!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as the OP here - a Crystal Refugee.

And finding the Celebrity comments interesting, because the complaints I am seeing match our experience to a T.  That loud music EVERYWHERE.  Even in the Library we were hearing it.  I mentioned that to one of the officers, and he told me that was a new trial for Celebrity, looking for a younger clientele, and the new cruise director thought this was the way to get a new generation of cruisers. Seemed some of the veteran staff were not happy.

There's an Azamara itinerary that I like, so trying to learn more about the line.

• Like 1

Frankly, most of the posters on Crystal strike me as unlikely to be happy on Azamara.  [Actually, the diehards seem unlikely to ever be happy again...]  The old ship and small cabins may be ok for Crystal alumni, but the food and service and entertainment and lecturers will not measure up.  Most of the Crystal Refugees seem to be heading to Seabourn and Silversea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Frankly, most of the posters on Crystal strike me as unlikely to be happy on Azamara.  [Actually, the diehards seem unlikely to ever be happy again...]  The old ship and small cabins may be ok for Crystal alumni, but the food and service and entertainment and lecturers will not measure up.  Most of the Crystal Refugees seem to be heading to Seabourn and Silversea.

I do Azamara first but was on Crystal to Bimini.

Entertainment was better on Crystal. Some foods are better on crystal..room service.. mushroom soup etc,. But here the officers are around here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

I do Azamara first but was on Crystal to Bimini.

Entertainment was better on Crystal. Some foods are better on crystal..room service.. mushroom soup etc,. But here the officers are around here.

Yes, but you're not on the Crystal forum going through the five stages of grief...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4