No more Dining room lunch for B2B passengers-Fleet wide change

wallyj

On 1/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, wolfcathorse said:

We had a B2B luncheon 2 weeks ago on Indy. Wish they had made it early access to WJ instead.

Yes, I agree.  I did a B2B lunch in Copehagen with about 45 others and we did not really have much choice of meal.  I would have preferred to go to WJ and make myself a nice big salad including some nice shrimp. and I love to pick my own breads out too.

Planning our second back to back for next year so interested in how this progresses.  This one will be on the Odyssey.

For folks who are on ships still having the lunch (especially on the Odyssey), would love to see some sample menus to get an idea.  (We did not stay on for lunch during our last back to back.)

Also, I believe the Key offers lunch in the MDR on boarding day - although that might be only on some ships as well.   If offered, is that the same as the B2B lunch or two separate lunches? 

Thanks!

Brad

On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, kruzerci said:

It's been very poor this year. I have assumed it was due to the rock bottom pricepoints since the return to sailing, but like you, I have left several times without anything. Not much of a selection, low quality, and rarely any lean proteins or white meat chicken to be found.

we are 30 days into this year, it's a pandemic, you are on a ship, I'm sure it's not all that bad!

I am the OP . Currently on Navigator and on for 2 more sailings. Had a quick chat with the F&B officer as he was in the DL and he came over to say hello. Earlier in the day was testing and the B2B letter did not mention there would be a consecutive cruises lunch. The B2B letter we received last turnaround also did not mention there would be a lunch, which is the reason I started this thread. The DL concierge called the GS officer in charge and was told the lunch was discontinued and it was supposedly a fleet-wide order. A couple hours later, I receive a note saying there would be a lunch. 

The officer in charge of in transit guests was checking us off her list as we showed up for testing. I mentioned the B2B letter did not say anything about lunch and she confirmed since there were so few doing B2B it was decided not to have one.

The F&B manager told me they have a cutoff number and if that number is not reached or close, the lunch is not scheduled.

The Navigator has has low counts for the past few cruises and I asked why the WJ is still open for Dinner as it was closed, last month for Dinner. He said the CDC guidelines are once the WJ has reopened, they cannot close it down again?

Will see what happens next Friday for next turnaround.

• Like 1

Why is it that if someone relates some disappointment with a cruise, someone else will invariably feel the need to inform them that there is a pandemic and they should suck it up and just be happy to be on a ship?

There really is not a need to preference a complaint by first stating something you liked.🙄

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wallyj said:

The officer in charge of in transit guests was checking us off her list as we showed up for testing. I mentioned the B2B letter did not say anything about lunch and she confirmed since there were so few doing B2B it was decided not to have one.

The F&B manager told me they have a cutoff number and if that number is not reached or close, the lunch is not scheduled.

Now these two statements I believe. I've heard that mentioned before while we were on our B2B cruises. We've always had the consecutive lunch on all of our B2B cruises and they have been well attended. Depending on our embarkation ports some lunches were more attended than others. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:02 PM, LGW59 said:

we are 30 days into this year, it's a pandemic, you are on a ship, I'm sure it's not all that bad!

Comments like this are ridiculous. 

Just because there is a never-ending pandemic upon us does not mean that all expectations quality should be thrown out the window.

As several posters have noted, on many of the sailings since the restart, the quality and selection of food in the Windjammer has dropped substantially. I acknowledge that I attribute this (at least partially) to the state of the industry, but that does not excuse a consistent drop in quality, nor should it deter people from stating their opinions. Call me crazy, but I don't think there is a reasonable excuse for passengers have stating that they are walking out of a dining venue because they have no lean protein offerings...

If you purchased a shirt that was missing buttons would you say "Its a pandemic year, its not so bad!"?

2 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Comments like this are ridiculous. 

Just because there is a never-ending pandemic upon us does not mean that all expectations quality should be thrown out the window.

As several posters have noted, on many of the sailings since the restart, the quality and selection of food in the Windjammer has dropped substantially. I acknowledge that I attribute this (at least partially) to the state of the industry, but that does not excuse a consistent drop in quality, nor should it deter people from stating their opinions. Call me crazy, but I don't think there is a reasonable excuse for passengers have stating that they are walking out of a dining venue because they have no lean protein offerings...

If you purchased a shirt that was missing buttons would you say "Its a pandemic year, its not so bad!"?

no lean protein, missing buttons, my world would crumble

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:27 AM, Billy Baltic said:

Can a mod change the title of this thread please. The op created it in good faith but we know now it’s not the case and is misleading to people. 

@wallyj -- would you be willing to "report" your original thread post and ask for the title to be changed?  We don't have any mods in here on the regular since Bob's retirement, so you'd have to report the thread and write out the reason to change the title in order for it to come to a mod's attention.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, ihopfar said:

Also, I believe the Key offers lunch in the MDR on boarding day - although that might be only on some ships as well.   If offered, is that the same as the B2B lunch or two separate lunches? 

That is a separate lunch, with the menu offering items from the Chops restaurant instead.  This was the menu for The Key on Freedom in November.

258196136_10158450066691905_2876172101912973579_n.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

no lean protein, missing buttons, my world would crumble

Joke all you want, for anybody remotely health conscious, yes it is a consideration. We don't all eat pasta and hot dogs every meal. 

Edited by kruzerci
  • Like 1

Please explain why RC values Key Card guests more than guests that do b/2/b/2b/2/b we spend much more $$$$$.   I am not feeling the love😬.   WE have spent a lot of money to keep RC going not just one time (Key Card $$)   So sad.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mpdp said:

Please explain why RC values Key Card guests more than guests that do b/2/b/2b/2/b we spend much more $$$$$.   I am not feeling the love😬.   WE have spent a lot of money to keep RC going not just one time (Key Card $$)   So sad.

Actually, chances are that B2B passengers spent less money per person per day.

B2B passengers:

-- are likely to be higher tier CAS members, and so get lots of freebies so they don't spend money on them (drink vouchers, laundry, wifi, specialty dining, etc.).

-- are likely to be experienced cruisers who know to check for price drops regularly and get the lowest cost per day, and/or work with a travel agent who has access to special group rates which are lower than the rates that are published on the RC website to the general public.

-- as experienced cruisers who have likely visited most of the ports before, are less inclined to purchase ship-sponsored shore excursions. 

So while the total dollar amount per year may add up to a larger number because you are taking a larger number of cruises per year, the actual "profit per day per passenger" is likely to be lower for a seasoned professional cruiser than it is for a once-a-year or newbie cruiser.

• Like 1