Airfares from US to Amsterdam

englander

Oh my!!! Rates are soooo high! Royal Caribbean's Air2Sea refundable flights are $1600+ per person from Colorado. Ouch!!!

That's $500 pp more than I paid for the June cruise to Norway via round trip Amsterdam. 

Anyone know any ways to find cheaper airfare?

Edited by englander

The better place for your research would be on the Cruise Air board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

Some reading over there would reveal there is absolutely no correlation between cruise fares and air fares.

Research, research, research. Generally, the cruise line airfares are going to be amongst the cheaper fares, but, beware, they can come with restrictions and other clauses that may trip you up when you aren't looking. Some of the other discounters you may find also are selling the "consolidator" fares the cruise lines are...same restrictions, or even more tripwires to fall over.

In summary, there isn't some secret place to get cheaper fares than anybody else.

Annualized inflation just hit 7% in December. There's a potential conflict in Europe that could disrupt global energy supplies. And the airline industry is suffering from 2+ years of global pandemic, with significant and unpredictable crew shortages. Most of that is since June.

When's the cruise? Historically, your two best windows for airfare are as soon as the flights go on sale, and within 90 days. But history hasn't been a great predictor lately. $1600 from Denver to Amsterdam doesn't shock me. Neither would a lot less or a lot more.

10 hours ago, nini said:

Is that for Economy, Premium Economy of First Class?

It's for Economy refundable. Not the extra leg-room seats. 

This cruise is June 20, 2022. The 90-day window is actually after final payment on the cruise. Yeah, I know ... timing is everything.  So frustrating though!

On 1/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, markeb said:

Annualized inflation just hit 7% in December. There's a potential conflict in Europe that could disrupt global energy supplies. And the airline industry is suffering from 2+ years of global pandemic, with significant and unpredictable crew shortages. Most of that is since June.

When's the cruise? Historically, your two best windows for airfare are as soon as the flights go on sale, and within 90 days. But history hasn't been a great predictor lately. $1600 from Denver to Amsterdam doesn't shock me. Neither would a lot less or a lot more.

22 minutes ago, englander said:

This cruise is June 20, 2022. The 90-day window is actually after final payment on the cruise. Yeah, I know ... timing is everything.  So frustrating though!

Bummer. I have learned to book EZAir immediately and periodically check in on the fares. In the past, I have changed them (up until final payment) and obtained fares at a lesser rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, englander said:

How much is non-refundable? How much for premium economy (probably non-refundable)? Bare with me on non-refundable...

8 hours ago, sailing canary said:

Why not book directly with the airline e.g United??

The same flights - comparing refundable fares are at least $100 higher than  Air2Sea. Of course the non-refundable is lower by almost $300.

21 hours ago, markeb said:

How much is non-refundable? How much for premium economy (probably non-refundable)? Bare with me on non-refundable...

Basic economy on united airlines (no change allowed, no refund, no free checked bag, no choice of seats, no upgrades, 1st checked bag $70 ) $1216

Economy $1366

Economy refundable $1616

Premium economy $2416

1 hour ago, englander said:

The same flights - comparing refundable fares are at least $100 higher than  Air2Sea. Of course the non-refundable is lower by almost $300.

Actually looking at what I  wrote Air2Sea is the same price now.

11 minutes ago, englander said:

Basic economy on united airlines (no change allowed, no refund, no free checked bag, no choice of seats, no upgrades, 1st checked bag $70 ) $1216

Economy $1366

Economy refundable $1616

Premium economy $2416

That's pretty unusual!

Usually the non-refundable is enough less than refundable that it makes sense to gamble, and most of the airlines are allowing free changes even on non-refundable tickets. I'm not surprised by the cost, just that the difference between ticket classes is so small. That pricing would have me looking at premium economy...

I got my flights for LAX-AMS round trip some time ago for our Arctic Circle cruise end of July 2022.

DL One total for the two of us $3223.45. Very happy with the price point....considering what it's going for now...glad I bought when I did.