Has anyone used Brightline from FLL airport to Miami

seapad

Have a cruise out of Miami. Staying at Hilton in Miami for a day pre-cruise. Landing at FLL airport. Does anyone know if there is Brightline train directly inside the FLL airport to Miami? 

Also how close is the Miami station from the Hilton Hotel, and options to get there? 

Any ride experience or thoughts welcome.

Thanks! 

You will need a shuttle, taxi or Uber to get from FLL to the Brightline station; I would call the Hilton to see how close they are to a station in Miami.

Or grab an Uber or Lyft from FLL and you can enjoy door to door service for about $40+

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

You will need a shuttle, taxi or Uber to get from FLL to the Brightline station; I would call the Hilton to see how close they are to a station in Miami.

Or grab an Uber or Lyft from FLL and you can enjoy door to door service for about $40+

Is it possible to take an Uber from MIA to a Fort Lauderdale beach hotel. On your recommendation John we used Uber for the first time 2 years ago when we stayed in Hollywood Beach. However they were for short journeys and I’m not sure an Uber driver would want to go that far. If so, where would we asked to be picked up.  Do MIA authorities even allow Uber to pick up. I would prefer to book in advance if possible. Thanks for any help you can give. 

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Is it possible to take an Uber from MIA to a Fort Lauderdale beach hotel. On your recommendation John we used Uber for the first time 2 years ago when we stayed in Hollywood Beach. However they were for short journeys and I’m not sure an Uber driver would want to go that far. If so, where would we asked to be picked up.  Do MIA authorities even allow Uber to pick up. I would prefer to book in advance if possible. Thanks for any help you can give. 

MIA does allow Uber and other ride services. Uber should take you to your desired location - you will see the estimated fare before you confirm the booking when you are ready to ride.

Do take a look at www.gobrightline.com and look for Brightline+. They have an airport pickup shuttle at FLL that takes you to their station and at the other end, a Miami shuttle that will take you within a 5 mile radius of their Miami Central Station which would include hotels in the downtown area. Their shuttles are free and should be booked when you buy advance tickets. IMO, a train would be more fun than a taxi or rideshare.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
  • Like 1

Many Hilton Hotel in Miami, which one....

Suggest you consider Tri-Rail.  It's easy from FLL airport - complimentary shuttle from Airport Departure terminal to Tri-Rail station.  Then $3.75 journey directly into MIA airport.  You leave the train at the Car Rental terminal then a short 1 minute monorail into MIA terminals.

https://www.tri-rail.com/stations/fort-lauderdale

1 hour ago, mickey89 said:

Many Hilton Hotel in Miami, which one....

Suggest you consider Tri-Rail.  It's easy from FLL airport - complimentary shuttle from Airport Departure terminal to Tri-Rail station.  Then $3.75 journey directly into MIA airport.  You leave the train at the Car Rental terminal then a short 1 minute monorail into MIA terminals.

https://www.tri-rail.com/stations/fort-lauderdale

OP is looking to get from FLL to Miami for a cruise - not to MIA for a flight.  Tri-Rail is great to MIA but then you are a $25-30 cab ride from downtown hotels and the port.  Better IMHO to use Uber or Lyft straight from FLL to your downtown Miami hotel or POM.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:37 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Do take a look at www.gobrightline.com and look for Brightline+. They have an airport pickup shuttle at FLL that takes you to their station and at the other end, a Miami shuttle that will take you within a 5 mile radius of their Miami Central Station which would include hotels in the downtown area. Their shuttles are free and should be booked when you buy advance tickets. IMO, a train would be more fun than a taxi or rideshare.

HMMMM? Even if the shuttles are free (or built into the cost of your ticket) it's still a shuttle, a train ride, and another shuttle compared to door to door service using Uber or Lyft.  The train might be fun, but IMHO a ride share to POM or your downtown hotel is the better option.

7 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Better option, maybe.  Depends how you view $100 Uber ride against $3.75 pleasant train journey which at peak time is a lot quicker............the choice is for the OP to make, I suggested an option !

Recent reports have the UberX fare between FLL and POM at $50.

• Thanks 1

From a previous post...an Uber driver would be happy, if not exuberant to take a fare from MIA to a Ft Lauderdale beach hotel.

As far as Uber finding you at the FLL airport....your Uber app links to your GPS location and the Uber driver has that information to be able to locate you.  Additionally there is a Uber/Lyft pickup area at FLL.  A local article recently pointed out that Uber/Lyft is far more successful at locating their passengers than 911 is in locating emergency callers.  (not encouraging)

Conversely, taking the Tri Rail from MIA to the Griffin Rd station (Ft Lauderdale) would be an effective way to shave a few $$ from the trip under discussion.

Edited by thinfool

The Tri-Rail Griffin Road station is also known as Fort Lauderdale Airport at Dania station, and variations of that name.  The address is 500 Gulf Stream Way, Dania, Florida 33004

If you're traveling northward from Miami, the prior station is Sheridan Street.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:39 AM, JohninDC said:

OP is looking to get from FLL to Miami for a cruise - not to MIA for a flight.  Tri-Rail is great to MIA but then you are a $25-30 cab ride from downtown hotels and the port.  Better IMHO to use Uber or Lyft straight from FLL to your downtown Miami hotel or POM.

You get off the Tri Rail at the Metro Rail Transfer Station and it drops you off right downtown.  No need to take the Tri Rail all the way to the airport.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:41 AM, JohninDC said:

HMMMM? Even if the shuttles are free (or built into the cost of your ticket) it's still a shuttle, a train ride, and another shuttle compared to door to door service using Uber or Lyft.  The train might be fun, but IMHO a ride share to POM or your downtown hotel is the better option.

If you book your Brightline ticket two hours in advance, they now have a free pick up and drop off service.  There is no difference in the price of the ticket, they are the same as they were before Covid shut them down.  The vehicles are Teslas, busses, and large golf carts depending on where you are going.

A large group of us took Brightline to Miami for the Sunday Drag Brunch at R House in Wynwood and they drove us to the restaurant and picked us up afterwards for the train ride home.

Free of charge.  It is an amazing addition to Brightline.  They just started this when they opened back up from Covid in November 2021.  It's literally door to door from the station.  It's also SO MUCH more pleasant than the death ride on I95.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueHerons said:

You get off the Tri Rail at the Metro Rail Transfer Station and it drops you off right downtown.  No need to take the Tri Rail all the way to the airport.

If you book your Brightline ticket two hours in advance, they now have a free pick up and drop off service.  There is no difference in the price of the ticket, they are the same as they were before Covid shut them down.  The vehicles are Teslas, busses, and large golf carts depending on where you are going.

A large group of us took Brightline to Miami for the Sunday Drag Brunch at R House in Wynwood and they drove us to the restaurant and picked us up afterwards for the train ride home.

Free of charge.  It is an amazing addition to Brightline.  They just started this when they opened back up from Covid in November 2021.  It's literally door to door from the station.  It's also SO MUCH more pleasant than the death ride on I95.

Blue,

Thanks for lots of valuable details.  But, for those flying into FLL for a cruise out of POM the train options entail a shuttle from FLL, a wait for the train, the train trip, and then a shuttle on the other end to either POM or a downtown Miami hotel. Compared to door to door service via Uber or Lyft it seems convoluted. With UberX costing about $50+ for the car, unless someone is travelling solo then my bet is that the car service is also cheaper.

I will look at Brightline whenever we take our next Miami cruise, but I am not yet convinced.

19 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Blue,

Thanks for lots of valuable details.  But, for those flying into FLL for a cruise out of POM the train options entail a shuttle from FLL, a wait for the train, the train trip, and then a shuttle on the other end to either POM or a downtown Miami hotel. Compared to door to door service via Uber or Lyft it seems convoluted. With UberX costing about $50+ for the car, unless someone is travelling solo then my bet is that the car service is also cheaper.

I will look at Brightline whenever we take our next Miami cruise, but I am not yet convinced.

To each there own. Brightline is just one of the options available to the OP. Be sure to wave at the passing train while you're stuck in I-95 traffic on the way into Miami.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 8:34 PM, JohninDC said:

Blue,

My son loves trains so we are thrilled to be taking Brightline from Embassy Suites FLL to Miami. They will pick us up for free at the hotel. We can enjoy the train and then catch an uber to POA. Yes, it is a few steps but for train lovers it is worth it. Plus, right now kids go free on Brightline so we are only paying for 2 of 5 tickets.

Hello all just need some insight to see if this is a tangible work around for my situation. I am flying into FLL in July and sailing out of POM the next day. I have 5 in my party plus luggage. I see pricing for UBer xl run about 100 plus going to miami from FLL some here have said less but what I have been reading recently doesn't align with that. Would just one xl even handle 5 people plus luggage?  As far as Brightline scenario I would get a free shuttle to their station from FLL then take their train to downtown miami and then be provided a ride within a 5-mile radius of that stop? is this correct and has this been done recently by anyone who can confirm. Any help would be greatly appreciated this will be my first time not renting a car and driving down so its all new to me.

Ok so for anyone looking to see if this work from fll they do NOT provide shuttle to brightline station it falls out of their perimeter constraints of 5 mile by .2 miles. 

• Like 2

Check out gobrightline.com for the answers. I'd much rather take a train instead of someone driving me on I-95. It's scary traffic. Even if I have to take a taxi, Uber or Lyft at either end of the train, it's not crazy driving.

• 3 weeks later...