January 28, 2022 Panama Canal Full Transit - Live From Emerald Princess

Shelly97060

12 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Since music is subjective I will hold off on my commentary other than to say that if you like Jazz the house band is excellent!

Check out their Dixieland set if they have one (Wheelhouse Bar), it was fantastic last week! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casandbliz said:

Asked earlier, but didnt see a response....just wondering about the humidity?

Humidity in Panama City and Puntarenas terrible - to me.  It was hot but since we were so cold in Alabama before leaving I can't complain to much.  We are in Huatulco today and doesn't seem to hot early in day.  We haven't left the ship yet but thinking of getting off around 11:00.  Ship has been cold and been keeping our room about midway on temp.  Didn't stop at Cartagena but it has always been hot and humid in our earlier visits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Answered but it didn't post so this time will be short answer.  Numbers weren't announced at the luncheon, officers introduced at the beginning of the luncheon and then left, had 2 cocktails to choose from when you were first seated, each lady received a long stem red rose from EFFY, two CC Parties on the 9th at 5pm and 7pm, top 3 will meet with Captain before the doors are opened and stand at their chairs when introduced during the Party.  No going forward to stand with Hostess and Captain for a picture.

Hi Tina!!  I just read this entire blog and it is fun reading about your experiences.  At the MTL, did they take pictures of you and the captain?  We just got off the Grand and no pictures.  I heard that our captain is very cautious about getting Covid.  It would have been nice to at least get a picture of us.  It sounds like you are having a great time.  Enjoy!! 

9 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

Hi Tina!!  I just read this entire blog and it is fun reading about your experiences.  At the MTL, did they take pictures of you and the captain?  We just got off the Grand and no pictures.  I heard that our captain is very cautious about getting Covid.  It would have been nice to at least get a picture of us.  It sounds like you are having a great time.  Enjoy!! 

On our two recent Majestic cruises, at the MTG luncheon they were only taking photos of the guests.  The Captain nor any other officers were in attendance.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

Hi there!!  Hope all your cruises will be good ones too.  See you on Facebook sometimes - ya'll haven't changed a bit.   Haven't had a picture with the Captain since starting back cruising in Nov.  Just a picture of us hiding our masks behind our backs.  The Captain and officers were standing in line as we came in though.  Told the Captain first time anyone every told us what city to select for time changes.  He said it was his wife's suggestion.  His name is Capt Lyle and haven't ever had him before.  He does all the noon announcing and seems to like talking.  He announced after the crew drill this morning that all crew leave was approved.  A big cheer went up and they were hurrying to get their life jackets put up and off the ship,.  It was fun watching them do a little dance and whooping it up going down the pier.  Feel bad for the ones having to wait till Puerto Vallarta to get off the ship.   Some haven't been off since first of Jan or end of Dec.  And to think some of us (not us) complain about having extra sea days when ports are missed.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, casandbliz said:

Asked earlier, but didnt see a response....just wondering about the humidity?

It was pretty humid in Panama and Costa Rica.  We have been keeping our balcony curtains closed during the day to help keep room cool. Our a/c temp has been kept to the lowest possible setting in order to keep room comfortable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We did our full transit Panama Canal cruise in January 2018. The whole trip was hot and humid (except before Puerto Vallarta). However, we are wimps from the Pacific Northwest.

But I thought we would get a break in January. Nope!

Post cruise, we stayed in Orlando visiting some sights, and we were still warm and a bit uncomfortable. The locals were cold. LOL

• Like 1

Got another question for you guys....how often have they tested you onboard, and how was it done? Are appts. made, do you go someplace to have it done, or does someone come to your cabin? How are results given (phone call, email, etc.)?

4 minutes ago, casandbliz said:

Got another question for you guys....how often have they tested you onboard, and how was it done? Are appts. made, do you go someplace to have it done, or does someone come to your cabin? How are results given (phone call, email, etc.)?

Everyone tested prior to boarding, then everyone was tested again within two days of embarkation ( 50% the first day and 50% the second day). We received a notice in our cabin with our designated time slot and location to report to.  It was a self test done in groups of 6. A person walked us all through the collection process and then we were told to go back to our cabins for 30 minutes.  If we tested positive we would get a call. It was a simple and smooth process.  If they test us again I will report back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Everyone tested prior to boarding, then everyone was tested again within two days of embarkation ( 50% the first day and 50% the second day). We received a notice in our cabin with our designated time slot and location to report to.  It was a self test done in groups of 6. A person walked us all through the collection process and then we were told to go back to our cabins for 30 minutes.  If we tested positive we would get a call. It was a simple and smooth process.  If they test us again I will report back.

We are still waiting to see if they test us at the port on Saturday before boarding???

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 9:58 PM, LBBLovestoCruise said:

Curious what the nightlife has been like on your journey thus far.  Is Skywalkers or any other bars open late? I figure with so many sea days coming up on my Feb 12th journey I can stay up later.  Thanks!

I would LOVE to know the answer to this, too..  We were super disappointed with the "nightlife" on Majestic (which consisted of a DJ at the indoor pool and was super lame). We are SOOO excited to board Emerald  on Saturday!

On a side note, if anybody has met Dave K. from Nevada, tell him his pal from Reno can't wait to compare trips!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sandsunsurf said:

I would LOVE to know the answer to this, too..  We were super disappointed with the "nightlife" on Majestic (which consisted of a DJ at the indoor pool and was super lame). We are SOOO excited to board Emerald  on Saturday!

On a side note, if anybody has met Dave K. from Nevada, tell him his pal from Reno can't wait to compare trips!

I feel your pain.  I was on the Sky in December and brought my 25 year old DD and her boyfriend with us.  There was ZERO late night nightlife that appealed to them... and that was on a 7 night Caribbean cruise.  The DJ showed up, but no one else did.  I felt so bad for them.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandsunsurf said:

Well I guess us like minded people can stream some music from our phone and create our own party! haha I'm thinking we might have to create our own fun in this one! 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I feel your pain.  I was on the Sky in December and brought my 25 year old DD and her boyfriend with us.  There was ZERO late night nightlife that appealed to them... and that was on a 7 night Caribbean cruise.  The DJ showed up, but no one else did.  I felt so bad for them.. 

Sorry to hear the night life was non existent. We were on a Celebrity cruise in Dec with 700 passengers. We ended up hanging with folks that all went to the nightclub every night ( all our age range) and there was also a gal celebrating her 26th birthday with 2 friends, having a blast every day everywhere they went around the ship. There was usually less than 20-30 people in the night club but it was the most spirited group I'd seen. I'm hopeful we can find fun folks on this journey too. 🙂

Port info? I’m not too familiar with the functions of the board, so can anyone point me toward Port information for the Saturday Emerald departure? I have a sinking feeling (pardon the pun) that we booked our hotel near the wrong port 😱

2 minutes ago, swingle said:

Port info? I’m not too familiar with the functions of the board, so can anyone point me toward Port information for the Saturday Emerald departure? I have a sinking feeling (pardon the pun) that we booked our hotel near the wrong port 😱

• Cruises, Ferry

The World Cruise Center in San Pedro is the West Coast's largest cruise complex, handling both major cruise lines and... 

• Address: 600 N Harbor Blvd, San Pedro, CA 90731
  • Phone: (310) 832-6236

33 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

That is a really low number of folks doing the b2b.  You are not missing anything not walking around San Pedro!

The crown grill head guy told me there were around 80 so will know.for sure when we either test or do our walk off to zero out the ship 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 8:56 AM, coo359a2 said:

Humidity in Panama City and Puntarenas terrible - to me.  It was hot but since we were so cold in Alabama before leaving I can't complain to much.  We are in Huatulco today and doesn't seem to hot early in day.  

You stopped in Huatulco???  Was it a substitute for Nicaragua?