January 28, 2022 Panama Canal Full Transit - Live From Emerald Princess

Shelly97060

Shelly and Nerd. If you enjoy wine, stop by vines and meet the marvelous Romeo and Ron. Romeo was very helpful in getting Jean a wine that she really enjoyed, it was a Moscato d'Asti, but I failed to get the Label name. Romeo likes to chat and he informed us that during his time off he started the procedure to become a Sommelier. He is two semesters away from finishing. Good for him he really enjoys people, he will be a success.

Jim😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Can someone aboard advise about the KN95 mask being provided by Princess.  Is there any indication on the mask where it was manufactured?  From what I am reading, the vast majority of the KN95's are manufactured in China.  I'm not usually the paranoid type, but I'm not crazy about getting or using anything regarding COVID that has been made in China.  Apparently from reports, taken with a grain of salt, many of the home test kits being mailed out to homes were also manufactured in China.  Thanks for any information.

Bring your own If not getting a mask made in China or, as in our case on a cruise earlier this month, wanting masks you know will fit is important.  There is no guarantee (especially since Princess has not announced that they will provide masks) that 

• they will continue to provide masks upon embarkation
  • they will distribute additional masks upon request
  • the supply of masks will always have the same country of origin.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Bring your own If not getting a mask made in China or, as in our case on a cruise earlier this month, wanting masks you know will fit is important.  There is no guarantee (especially since Princess has not announced that they will provide masks) that 

• they will continue to provide masks upon embarkation
  • they will distribute additional masks upon request
  • the supply of masks will always have the same country of origin.

Yea, I think we are going to order the N95 mask (different from the KN 95).  There is a company that has both FDA and HHS certification as being made in the US with US material.  Gives me that extra little bit of confidence.  Thanks for the response.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, formerlyyanksdownunder said:

Appreciate all the good information, my wife and I will hopefully be on the return sailing out of LA.  Since I believe the first formal night was last night, was it lobster night in the MDR?

I didn’t see it on menu but could have overlooked it since I don’t eat it🙃

39 minutes ago, Robbie555 said:

It must be a real bummer to be anchored in Cartagena but to not be able to go onshore. 🥵

Not so much for us as we have been several times but know others were looking forward to it.  The Captain just explained why we were anchored her.  To meet CBP requirements for far and distant ports only Aruba, Bonaire, Curcaco and Cartagena can be used.  Going to Panama the ABC islands are too far to be able to be used for Canal cruises.  Hope this makes sense

Just now, coo359a2 said:

Sorry not a techie and have no idea how to do that.  

No worries, maybe someone else will see my post and have a few free moments. Loving following along and all the good information you're sharing.  Thank you!

I thought that to go through the Panama Canal testing had to be completed 48 hours in advance.

Perhaps this is why so many tests.  

I believe this ship was delayed a day coming from pacific ocean last month or so for testing that was not completed in time.

If all ports want a 48 hr window, then more testing will be done during cruising which could turn some folks away.   

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I thought that to go through the Panama Canal testing had to be completed 48 hours in advance.

Perhaps this is why so many tests.  

I believe this ship was delayed a day coming from pacific ocean last month or so for testing that was not completed in time.

If all ports want a 48 hr window, then more testing will be done during cruising which could turn some folks away.   

The ship was delayed on their first trip from LA to FLL as the bridge crew had not been tested within a day of the pilot embarking. Not all passengers have to be tested for the canal.

4 hours ago, whitecap said:

Can someone aboard advise about the KN95 mask being provided by Princess.  Is there any indication on the mask where it was manufactured?  From what I am reading, the vast majority of the KN95's are manufactured in China.  I'm not usually the paranoid type, but I'm not crazy about getting or using anything regarding COVID that has been made in China.  Apparently from reports, taken with a grain of salt, many of the home test kits being mailed out to homes were also manufactured in China.  Thanks for any information.

Those offered onboard are made in China. 32CDCE68-84E4-4A98-8D1F-845FEF790EC1.thumb.jpeg.3de102f8beab03b7f42fbbe50629f146.jpeg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

The ship was delayed on their first trip from LA to FLL as the bridge crew had not been tested within a day of the pilot embarking. Not all passengers have to be tested for the canal.

hmmm okay I do seem to remember that but still this trip all the testing does seem overkill so I thought perhaps it might be the Canal again making demands..  

1 minute ago, Shelly97060 said:

We spent the day anchored by Cartagena. Beautiful, sunny day, no winds. Many people outside on decks enjoying the sunshine. 55DC0A88-84F1-496B-9999-308988FE28FE.thumb.jpeg.48ea6555c56cb8c016aa9f404c9cfbd9.jpeg

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist and certainly try not to "over react" but it does boggle my mind why we would be buying medical supplies from China.  Not to worry though, we'll order the one made in USA.  Thanks again and hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

Shelly and Nerd. If you enjoy wine, stop by vines and meet the marvelous Romeo and Ron. Romeo was very helpful in getting Jean a wine that she really enjoyed, it was a Moscato d'Asti, but I failed to get the Label name. Romeo likes to chat and he informed us that during his time off he started the procedure to become a Sommelier. He is two semesters away from finishing. Good for him he really enjoys people, he will be a success.

Jim😎

Thanks for the scoop on Vines! We are on the Emerald in May!

For those of you who collect the ship stamps for the Princess Passport Books they have discontinued them completely.  

For those unfamiliar, these are the stamps that use to be in your cabin when you arrived in your cabin along with a “welcome back “ postcard. They had the ships name and destination on them.  They stopped putting them in your cabin several years ago but you could get them from the Captains Circle Desk. I checked today and they aren’t making them any more.

2 hours ago, SAKay said:

How have your dinner reservations been?  Has anyone been able to have the same table, same wait staff, and same time each night?  Thanks very much.

We have 6pm anytime dining at the same table reserved for every night. The aft dining room is only about 1/2 full then

• Like 1