Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

37 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

John said in the days ahead her new name would be revealed, hopefully that means this week or next. 

I am more than a little baffled that they have already started work on her and we still don't know anything. I would have thought they would have at least put a few sailings on sell by now. At this rate she will be finished and no one will be booked on her.

• Like 1

I think it’s imminent - they will announce name and more importantly, deployment. With various regions opening up they are diligently working with the local governments. They also wouldn’t have wanted to overshadow the Celebration and Jubilee press with news about an older ship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

I am more than a little baffled that they have already started work on her and we still don't know anything. I would have thought they would have at least put a few sailings on sell by now. At this rate she will be finished and no one will be booked on her.

I believe there are still some Carnival Spirit bookings in limbo awaiting the ship change. Even if Carnival moves another ship to Australia (i.e. Conquest), Costa Magica is likely going to be absorbing some number of another ship's bookings.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Beezo said:

I think it’s imminent - they will announce name and more importantly, deployment. With various regions opening up they are diligently working with the local governments. They also wouldn’t have wanted to overshadow the Celebration and Jubilee press with news about an older ship. 

I mean Jubilee could have been announced at the end of the year, it’s not due out till sometime 2023. 

31 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Is this slated to start sailing immediately after it's refurbishment? If she's out for 3 months, she'd start sailing in late July most likely. No name, no itineraries, no details. Yawn!

Unless they are planning something really unique, it should be finished by the end of June (looking at Sunrise timeline), so the timing of the announcements is certainly bizarre but then again they did offer the ship for housing first. 

12 hours ago, tidecat said:

I believe there are still some Carnival Spirit bookings in limbo awaiting the ship change. Even if Carnival moves another ship to Australia (i.e. Conquest), Costa Magica is likely going to be absorbing some number of another ship's bookings.

Hoping Magica bumps Conquest, rather Magica go Australia but I think either way it’s debuting in the US first. 

I don't understand why this announcement is taking so long to come out. At this point to find out the name someone will have to go to Marseille to read the name off of the ship and find out the homeport by tracking the ship and watching to see where it will go.

Hopefully this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I don't understand why this announcement is taking so long to come out. At this point to find out the name someone will have to go to Marseille to read the name off of the ship and find out the homeport by tracking the ship and watching to see where it will go.

Hopefully this week.

It really isn’t making sense, if it’s going to start sailing this year (probably July) they need to put her cruises up to fill up space unless she’s bumping another ship? 

On 3/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, tidecat said:

Except any ship heading to Australia has to have Australian power plugs installed in all of the staterooms at a minimum.

Or... they start installing universal plugs... Airlines figured this out 10 years ago.  Why not cruise ships?

Hang on I found something:

On John Heald's facebook, yesterday he said, "On Wednesday we will have some exciting news on Carnival Celebration and I am sure lots more news to share as well."

I know we have said this A LOT, but this could be the announcement about Costa Magica.

If not, we will at least hear about Celebration.

3 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

On John Heald's facebook, yesterday he said, "On Wednesday we will have some exciting news on Carnival Celebration and I am sure lots more news to share as well."

I know we have said this A LOT, but this could be the announcement about Costa Magica.

My gut tells me that the refurbished Magica will be sent to Australia.

• Like 2

Well it’s the big conference this week so it’s now or never. I think (hope) she bumps Conquest to Australia, her dry dock shouldn’t take that long and with the US in demand, Australia isn’t there yet; P&O’s two “new” ships aren’t even starting till late in the year I believe. 

Edited by CruiseAdict218

With the drydock being done in France, Magica's "inaugural" could be a Transatlantic. She could then saunter about the Caribbean out of Miami for a few weeks, transit the Panama Canal, run a open jaw sailing to Vancouver, then do a Transpacific to Australia.

It's going to be hard to delay the announcement much longer, the ship is sitting in drydock, and it won't be long before there are visible changes from the work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tidecat said:

With the drydock being done in France, Magica's "inaugural" could be a Transatlantic. She could then saunter about the Caribbean out of Miami for a few weeks, transit the Panama Canal, run a open jaw sailing to Vancouver, then do a Transpacific to Australia.

It's going to be hard to delay the announcement much longer, the ship is sitting in drydock, and it won't be long before there are visible changes from the work.

Was thinking the same thing - and last thing they'd want is it leaked in a picture.

28 minutes ago, Beezo said:

Was thinking the same thing - and last thing they'd want is it leaked in a picture.

I saw a video a crew member did of the Destiny/Sunshine conversion. The old name was torched off the bow fairly late in the process (and the "Carnival" part on the starboard side actually was left alone) but I would think in this case it will be sooner since the livery is going to be significantly different.

When Costa did their recent livery change, the name on the bow was simply painted over. If you pass close enough to a Costa ship (such as on a tender boat) you can see the old lettering.

23 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Celebration news is out, they hinted at this a few months ago, but now with more details; Celebration will feature a lot of old memorabilia from the past fleet from the original Mardi Gras to Carnival Sensation. 

20 minutes ago, mz-s said:

My guess is they're waffling on whether they send Magica to Australia or replace a ship at another port. Selfishly I'd love to see her replace Sunshine in Charleston.

Only if it gets all the restaurant upgrades!