Discovery cruise March 27, 2022

MJU

I am booked on this cruise and getting worried.  I think I read somewhere that Discovery needs 60 sailing days to reach California as she cannot go through the Panama canal.  According to Cruise Mapper it is still in Italy.  Am I wrong about 60 days? 

Thanks in advance

54 minutes ago, MJU said:

I am booked on this cruise and getting worried.  I think I read somewhere that Discovery needs 60 sailing days to reach California as she cannot go through the Panama canal.  According to Cruise Mapper it is still in Italy.  Am I wrong about 60 days? 

Thanks in advance

Possibly you read she cannot go through the old locks?  The larger ships go through the new locks.

32 minutes ago, MJU said:

I don't think it is the canal she'd have trouble going through - it is apparently the Bridge of America

Clearance under the bridge is 201 feet.  The Royal Class ships are 217 feet high, but the draught is 27-28 feet, so that brings them down to 190 and therefore room to clear. 

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that a cruise line would reposition a ship to different coasts without going through the canal... I think they would shift schedules around to avoid that.  Of course...the Marketing Dept. could play their hand if they think they could "sell" that cruise!