Which cruise lines are now testing at the port?

Markanddonna

I know MSC is now testing before you enter the processing area at the port. You also have to have the documents showing a negative test result 2 days before sailing. Some other cruise lines have canceled many of their sailings in Jan and Feb.

Do you think port testing is in everyone's future?  BTW- MSC started the policy just a few weeks ago after many passengers developed COVID onboard and needed to be quarantined and their travel partners were isolated in their cabin. Also, many ports refused them entry. This new policy seems to have made sailings much more palatable. BTW- I don't believe there was any warning about the change in policy when MSC added port testing.

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I know MSC is now testing before you enter the processing area at the port. You also have to have the documents showing a negative test result 2 days before sailing. Some other cruise lines have canceled many of their sailings in Jan and Feb.

Do you think port testing is in everyone's future?  BTW- MSC started the policy just a few weeks ago after many passengers developed COVID onboard and needed to be quarantined and their travel partners were isolated in their cabin. Also, many ports refused them entry. This new policy seems to have made sailings much more palatable. BTW- I don't believe there was any warning about the change in policy when MSC added port testing.

Oceania has required 100% vaccination AND no-charge pier-side testing since it restarted cruises several months ago. Pre-Cruise testing (PCR or Antigen) 48-72 hrs (depending on departure location) pre-embark is “strongly recommended” but, actually, this pre-test (with negative results) is required should you test positive at the pier IF you want Oceania to cover your land quarantine and travel home costs (should you be denied boarding).

January 17th was supposed to be the start of passenger responsibility for mandatory 48-72 hr pre-embark PCR or Antigen tests (though pier-side option would be available at $95 per person. However, that plan was scrapped due to Omicron and O is back to the original plan of recommended pre-Cruise and required no charge pier-side testing . This, in conjunction with 100% vaccination (no exceptions) and strict onboard mask requirements will remain in effect indefinitely.

Of course, ship capacity has been significantly reduced. We just cruised on the 1200 passenger Riviera with a passenger load of only 600.

It’s wonderful to see a cruise line that is taking testing, vaccination and masks seriously.

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Do you think port testing is in everyone's future? 

I know DCL tests at the port.  Currently, all unvaccinated (under 5 years old) must provide a pre-trip test taken 3 day and 24 hours prior to the cruise.  And everyone, vaccinated or not, must do a test at the port before boarding.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Not just Oceania...all three NCLH cruise lines, NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas have these requirements.

As have the UK-based Saga and Cunard to my personal knowledge, and probably others, too.

21 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Do you think port testing is in everyone's future? 

Before I answer the question I highlighted above, I'll give a partial answer to the question in the title of this thread.  Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal all have limited testing at or near the terminal.  Costs vary, as does availability.  None of them require testing at the terminal yet.

Which brings me back to the highlighted question.  I actually DO NOT think universal port testing will be universal.  It is increasingly looking like we've seen the worst of the current wave, and the current testing policies have proven to be enough to keep cases on board to a minimum.  I do think terminal testing will still be around for a while, and available from many if not most cruise lines.

7 hours ago, Sekhmet said:

As have the UK-based Saga and Cunard to my personal knowledge, and probably others, too.

Cunard does not provide testing at its US embarkation port, Brooklyn, NY. You have to provide your own test, taken no more than two days prior to embarkation.