Covid entry confusion

Hightackle84

Hi all. 

We are due to sail on Azura in April, with port stops in Croatia, Greece, Malta, Turkey and Italy. There seems to be some contradictions between the covid entry advice on the websites of P&O the FCO and the countries themselves. 

Has anyone been to these countries recently? and if so, what did you need to do to get in?

Any help really appreciated. 

Ade. 

P.S. I am guessing there is every possibility that the covid rules will change between now and then

Good question.  We have a lot of experience traveling in Europe (from the USA) but do not have any idea what rules we will face in the Spring.  Like you we are planning on heading to Europe (a Transatlantic that will deposit us in Monte Carlo) but we have no clue as to what requirements will exist in April-May.  The best we can do is be fully vaccinated (with a booster) and than just go with the flow.  I am convinced that Europe will be open to tourism but the question mark is whether, and how, we can easily obtain a vaccine passport (not currently available from North America).   Over forty years of extensive independent travel experience tells me that we need to relax and assume it will all work out for those who are fully vaccinated (with a booster).  

Last summer we did fly to Greece (via Turkey) and you should feel very confident that Greece will have welcoming rules that will not be a big problem.  The Greek government made it clear by both words and deeds that they want tourists.  But as to the other countries, although I think there is reason toe optimistic there is just no way to know what the rules will be in a few months.  If you are visiting these countries on a ship then you should depend on your cruise line to get you through the formalities.  On land it is on you....

Hank

Hi Ade,

Sadly, I don't think that at this time of year many Brits will have experience of cruising Eastern Europe.

I'm guessing that you're a Brit.

If you're fully vaccinated & print-off your NHS vaccine record a few days before travel, that's about as much as you can do. If not vaccinated, shortly before travel you'll need to take such tests as the countries require (but don't do a Djokovic 😉), altho there's the risk - a tiny risk in Europe) that only those vaccinated will be premitted to travel.

And P&O may have their own rules.

Like you say, rules will probably change before your cruise.

And like Hank says, P&O will take care of things - if necessary, switching or missing ports (or even departure port if this is a chartered fly-cruise)

In the meantime, I'd be inclined to go by the advice on the website with the latest date.

(Hank - don't most countries accept the CDC Covid vaccine card?)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

For those traveling, country Embassy web sites would be a good source of information.  I have been checking one for Israel which has changed many times.  Airlines also have links to current information by country.  You need to know what to expect when you get off the ship and travel independently.  

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Focus on countries you are flying in to. If a cruise line takes you into a country they will make sure you can legally enter it. If there’s anything extra you need to do they will advise you.

How much in advance of recent entry requirements will they advise you?   It's nice to think that you can rely on cruise line employees to keep you fully advised about all tangential travel requirements -- but can you explain how cruise lines will know EVERYTHING about entry requirements of countries "...you are flying into."

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

How much in advance of recent entry requirements will they advise you?   It's nice to think that you can rely on cruise line employees to keep you fully advised about all tangential travel requirements -- but can you explain how cruise lines will know EVERYTHING about entry requirements of countries "...you are flying into."

I said countries you are flying into are on you, countries you are cruising into are on them. the cruise line won’t be able to disembark unless people meet the ports requirements. If they would like to sell shore excursions they will have to keep up with it. 

• Like 1