Money Bar, Nachi or Paradise Beach?

Motorcycle Gma

We will be in Coz in about 10 days. I'm looking for a place with good snorkeling, a beach (rock or sandy) is fine.  We mainly want to snorkel and aren't into the party scene.  I would like some amenities, a pool, chairs and maybe a beach massage?  We will probably bring our own snorkel gear.

We honeymooned in Cozumel in 1995 and did land tours there for 10 years after that.  Our honeymoon was at El Cozumeleno (sp?) on the North side of the island.  I thought about getting a resort day pass there just for old times sake.  Not sure if there is any snorkeling there anymore. I know it would be a long drive from the pier. 

Thanks for any advice.   

Money Bar is the only one of the bunch that has good snorkeling from the shore. Nachi offers a snorkeling tour (extra fee); not sure about snorkeling tours from Paradise Beach?

But no pool at Money Bar - for a pool you will need to go to Nachi Cocom (small pool) or Paradise Beach (HUGE POOL).

In the past we have hit MB early to snorkel, had some snacks and drinks, then cabbed to Nachi for the rest of the day. Might be an option if you have a long port day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Money Bar is the only one of the bunch that has good snorkeling from the shore. Nachi offers a snorkeling tour (extra fee); not sure about snorkeling tours from Paradise Beach?

But no pool at Money Bar - for a pool you will need to go to Nachi Cocom (small pool) or Paradise Beach (HUGE POOL).

In the past we have hit MB early to snorkel, had some snacks and drinks, then cabbed to Nachi for the rest of the day. Might be an option if you have a long port day.

That sounds like a plan. Thank you for the info.  I thought all these places had good snorkeling.  It sounds like hit Money Bar first and then Nachi.  There are some really BAD reviews on Nachi right now.  I guess mostly from ppl who's cruises were cancelled & they didn't get their money back. What about Mr. Sanchos??  Is there snorkeling there??  Thank you again.

2 hours ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

That sounds like a plan. Thank you for the info.  I thought all these places had good snorkeling.  It sounds like hit Money Bar first and then Nachi.  There are some really BAD reviews on Nachi right now.  I guess mostly from ppl who's cruises were cancelled & they didn't get their money back. What about Mr. Sanchos??  Is there snorkeling there??  Thank you again.

You wont get good shore snorkeling from places with a good beach - you have to compromise one for the other. 

All the places you are considering are south of the piers - better sand some with pools as reported above. Better shore snorkeling south locations - Chankanaab, Money Bar, Sky Reef - last two no pool, ironshore.

Day pass to El Coz will give you a better mixture. Other suggestions to consider north would be Buccanos and Playa Azul small semi rocky beaches and pools.

I think Nachi ran into a cash flow problem during the pandemic. They did try to run a promotional rate to keep going but that has stopped now. It has never been an absolute “must-do” for us but we do go occasionally while on land visits and everything seemed fine last summer when we were there.

For convenience, no transport from Puerta Maya or International we like Del Mar Latino, (same group as Nachi) for a quiet relaxed location. Man- made beach like Money Bar,  small pool and shore snorkeling. We haven’t done it but have spoken to others who have enjoyed it.

Also consider day pass to Park Royal/ El Cid ( next door) similar snorkeling, pools small beach.

I have found reports of snorkeling very subjective depending on personal expectations, experience and sea conditions on any given day.

Edited by c-leg5

I can't even find the pricing on the Money Bar.  Really, it must be pricey if it's not on their website!

Funny you mentioned Park Royal. We have stayed there several times and gone to El Cid which was El Ceibo I think previously (a dive hotel?). It is really close to one of the piers.  Is the airplane wreck still there in front of El Cid?  We used to snorkel there and did shore dives occasionally.  We haven't snorkeled in Coz in many years. We always dive, but now we're getting older and diving isn't as attractive anymore. We also stayed at Casa Del Mar once or twice. Not sure if that's the same as the Del Mar you mentioned.

So, you think the snorkeling is best to the South. That would make sense because that's where the dive boats always take us, to Palancar Reef, etc.  I never cared for sandy snorkeling. I want to see actual reefs which we used to be able to see right near some of the shores, but it has been many years and I know some hurricanes have hit. We liked the snorkeling at El Coz in 1995, LOL. The fish were plentiful, but so was the FIRE coral. My hubs learned that the hard way!

A couple of years before COVID we hired a snorkeling guide to take us out to a couple of reefs.  It was really good and after it was over they took us by boat to Paradise Beach for the rest of the day.  Start early and you’ll be at PB by lunchtime and can enjoy the afternoon there before catching a cab back.  

32 minutes ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

I can't even find the pricing on the Money Bar.  Really, it must be pricey if it's not on their website!

Funny you mentioned Park Royal. We have stayed there several times and gone to El Cid which was El Ceibo I think previously (a dive hotel?). It is really close to one of the piers.  Is the airplane wreck still there in front of El Cid?  We used to snorkel there and did shore dives occasionally.  We haven't snorkeled in Coz in many years. We always dive, but now we're getting older and diving isn't as attractive anymore. We also stayed at Casa Del Mar once or twice. Not sure if that's the same as the Del Mar you mentioned.

So, you think the snorkeling is best to the South. That would make sense because that's where the dive boats always take us, to Palancar Reef, etc.  I never cared for sandy snorkeling. I want to see actual reefs which we used to be able to see right near some of the shores, but it has been many years and I know some hurricanes have hit. We liked the snorkeling at El Coz in 1995, LOL. The fish were plentiful, but so was the FIRE coral. My hubs learned that the hard way!

Yes Del Mar Latino is a beach club section they have made (2-3 years ago?) on the ocean side in front of Del Mar. Snorkeling is via rocky steps. They have a website with prices.

Money Bar will probably have an online menu on TA. No charge to enter but tourist prices for food and drinks.

I haven’t done much serious snorkeling on Cozumel because of the currents but I have read about and spoken to many divers and snorkelers. The “near” shore reefs seem to have been seriously damaged by the hurricanes and there have been determined efforts to restore the reefs with artificial balls etc. There is a restoration project ongoing of Sunset Beach but I heard there were reef balls at other locations too.

You will know from diving that the offshore reefs are very deep and the usual reports I hear from boat snorkelers are that most of them are too deep to see much snorkeling compared to diving.

Take a look at @mitsugirly intensive photo reviews of both snorkeling and diving locations on her blog. I seem to recall she wasn’t too  impressed with Money Bar but again as I said I think a lot depends on conditions on a given day. She has been recently to Sky Reef and Buccanos.

I think the plane wreck is still there. El cid does a few different day passes. We have done PAYG and the cheaper pass, maybe $20pp with $15? Credit towards food and drink to use wi-fi and facilities.

Edited by c-leg5

Money Bar is pay as you go for drinks and food - no admission fee to snorkel. Rental gear available if you need it.  Mitsugirly is a frequent poster and has links to photo intensive reviews of all of these beach clubs on her page.

If you stop to snorkel and enjoy some drinks/snacks you might not have enough time to make an all-inclusive beach club (Nachi or Sanchos) worth it - then I would choose to head to Paradise Beach for a few hours: $5 admission/chair rental, good food/drinks (love the taco truck!), nice beach, HUGE pool, great facilities, and water toys available for an extra fee.

As mentioned by C-Legs above, no sandy beach will offer good snorkeling from the shore, but if you wanted to choose one place most of them can arrange for a 90 minute or so snorkel tour.

Thank you all so much.  I didn't find all of @mitsugirly's Cozumel snorkel reviews, but I did find the one on Sky Reef.  I'm definitely going to check that reef out!!   We have an ICE STORM hitting and now I'm struggling with the stress of driving thru ice to get to our departure, and the covid tests, and UGH... 

I hope I make it after all this research and work. I'm so ready for a cruise. It's been over 2 years since I was on the Ruby in Australia.  Thanks again!

FYI - I can't speak to current full refunds from Nachi Cocum; however, I will say that when our ship's itinerary was changed, they were very quick to respond to my inquiry and were able to accommodate us on the new port date for Cozumel.