Rhine water levels 2022 and similar topics

notamermaid

18 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Not so. The Redemptorastines do.

I should have expected you to find an exception :classic_biggrin:. Speaking of colours, apparently the buoys on the Rhine on the right used to be black, then international regulation meant  those had to be sprayed green (says the video I linked).

Videos and the Rhine Gorge. Continuing from post #274, here is a short video of an excursion boat trip on  the Rhine by Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/upper-middle-rhine-valley-a-unesco-world-heritage-site/av-16995075

And a drone flight video with commentary (which I have posted before but is worth doing so again):

notamermaid

Before I get too busy this week with tourism (hooray the tourists are back!) and helping out at an event, a quick look at the river levels:

Maxau 463cm, on a slight upward trend forecast to end tomorrow, followed by slow steady decline

Kaub 143cm, unlikely to react much to Maxau, slow steady decline

Koblenz 142cm, following Kaub trend quite closely as no river in the Rhine Gorge will add much water in this heat

Cologne 206cm, has reached a plateau, as the Moselle is low I expect that stretch from Koblenz to Cologne to follow the trend of the Rhine Gorge

Kaub falling below 100cm? Unlikely this week.

The Danube in Bavaria? Struggling!

notamermaid

On 6/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, notamermaid said:

EF39DF1C-D657-490D-95F4-D0F02022C51D.thumb.jpeg.5d230d67b8ec87f725a25f466389c251.jpeg

As always, if you have some photos from your recent river cruise that you feel like sharing, do share. 🙂

notamermaid

Here’s a couple from our sailing between Rudesheim and Koblenz on the Scenic Jade on 26 June.  

BDE5C0C6-7442-4A6F-952F-2E3521A566D5.thumb.jpeg.6475e948f2ae52256bddc15c4f18f975.jpeg
I’m sure @notamermaidtalked about these in previous discussions about the Rhine, but they are so interesting.  Faux castles along rail lines built during WWII in Germany as the Allies had a pact not to bomb cultural sites.

• Like 2

Thank you for the photos.

17 hours ago, loriva said:

I’m sure @notamermaidtalked about these in previous discussions about the Rhine, but they are so interesting.  Faux castles along rail lines built during WWII in Germany as the Allies had a pact not to bomb cultural sites.

Hah, you have giving me another topic to talk about, I should have warned you. :classic_biggrin: I think I have actually not mentioned the railway tunnels in that aspect. At least I cannot remember doing so in the last three years. Apart from the somber connections, I find they fit well into the landscape.

Talking of war and deception. I leave you with a topic for the weekend that I am not sure all US folks know about. It also involves crossing the Rhine so fits into this thread. There was the Ghost Army which I myself have learnt about only very recently. They were non-combat soldiers employed to deceive German troops and and those in command about what the (mostly US) Allies were doing. It worked. They even used inflatable tanks!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-the-ghost-army-of-wwii-used-art-to-deceive-the-***-180980336/

notamermaid

• Like 1

notamermaid (I don't believe you, I think you are most certainly a mermaid!)

Anyway, regardless of your aquatic status, can you let us know how the Rhine & Moselle levels are faring these days? I think the boat swaps I've been reading about apply to the Danube and/or Main, but we're travelling from Basel to Trier next week, thus my interest in this topic.

And vielen dank for your fine commentary on this site!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loge23 said:

I think the boat swaps I've been reading about apply to the Danube and/or Main, but we're travelling from Basel to Trier next week, thus my interest in this topic.

It has been a busy weekend at work and rest is needed, so I shall be brief. It applies to the Danube. The Main is fine as it is controlled by locks and the navigation channel is deep-ish. The Moselle is equally controlled by locks where the river cruise ships sail and is low but fine as far as I know.

As indicated earlier this week would be the case, the level at Kaub on the Rhine has stayed above 100cm, now at 124cm. It certainly has steadily gone done, though, in the last few days and is expected to fall below 100cm on Tuesday. Expect this trend to continue.

Things along the river to catch up with, but for now, I will rest my weary head.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Firstly: Germans are celebrating like anything and I have been dragged into the fun and organisational work, partly because I had to, partly because I volunteered and on top of that I volunteered to stay longer when I saw the panicked look on my team leader's face when a message popped up on her smartphone saying a colleague was not coming because they may have covid. Which probably means I will get it soon. Oh well... Be prepared for life in Germany that is more or less normal (with a high potential to pick up a virus), but the odd place will still want you to wear a mask indoors (theoretically it is voluntary but they may insist it is their house rule, so in such a case do not argue...).

Secondly: it is going to be hot this week quite likely so I need to get some work done that I do not want to do in hot temperatures. I have no air conditioning or plunge pool. When you come, be prepared with hat, sun cream and stamina (or enjoy the ship's air conditioning).

This leads to thirdly: Kaub gauge is now at 117cm. Lake Constance is losing water and at Maxau there are clear signs that we can expect the level in the Middle Rhine valley to fall further. There is just not enough water coming from the Upper Rhine valley and the tributaries. Some regions of Germany have had a third less rainfall than what is normal average in June, says the low water report of last week. We can expect Kaub to fall to 100cm on Wednesday and then 90cm on Thursday. Still enough water to float large river cruise ships but the narrow valley gets trickier to navigate. I imagine even more careful and possibly slower sailing around a few shallows and the rocks.

Fourthly: two accidents, one near Speyer that was not so pleasant (but not dramatic) and a curious one with a fun twist near Koblenz.

Details to follow.

And something about a statue in Bonn.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

A new forecast for the river levels is published every day, so is there any real change to this:

21 hours ago, notamermaid said:

We can expect Kaub to fall to 100cm on Wednesday and then 90cm on Thursday.

No, this still stands. Friday is now of course coming closer and looking at the figures for that day we see 85cm to 82cm. Saturday I am afraid could see potentially lower figures still, i.e. the downward trend continues.

notamermaid

It is Tuesday early evening and the level at Kaub has fallen to 104cm.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:35 PM, notamermaid said:

two accidents, one near Speyer that was not so pleasant (but not dramatic) and a curious one with a fun twist near Koblenz.

On Saturday a river cruise ship collided with a barge near Speyer. Two people were slightly injured, but after brief medical attention could return to the ship and continue sailing. Damage to the ship was just at the bow above the water line so the ship continued its journey (after a brief inspection). The barge turned sideways to the navigation channel and ran aground on a groyne. It was later freed and could also continue sailing. The cause of the accident is unknown and under investigation. Here is a short video: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/ludwigshafen/zusammenstoss-zweier-schiffe-rlp-100.html

Due to the sheer fact that police and authorities were informed of the potential number of people needing attention, i.e. the river cruise ship passengers, this initiated a major rescue operation, complete with helicopters. Thankfully, this turned out not to be needed.

The second accident happened at the island Niederwerth near Koblenz. A barge (consisting of two parts) got stuck and had to uncouple. Then another ship pulled the barge free. Trying to free the uncoupled part the second ship got stuck, so the freed barge came to the rescue and freed the ship, them in effect helping each other. Problem solved... To which one of the policemen of the police launch said: "Quite a curiosity. Have not seen this in more than twenty years of service." Both Dutch ships suffered no damage and continued on their respective journeys.

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, Oceancliff said:

What do you expect the water levels to be

Hmm, I expect the water level at Kaub to be between 40cm and 400cm. I am actually half serious, I have no idea and neither do most people apart from a few weather and hydrology experts that do modelling of weather patterns.

But generally speaking, late October is a bit on the low side. As regards a prediction, anything more than what I have just said would be like leaning myself out of the window very far. As regards a tentative forecast, that will be available ten days before your cruise starts.

Weather: nights in late October will be chilly, day temperatures without frost, often above 10 Celsius. Rain will vary. The Rhine has a micro climate of not that much precipitation, it will likely be more in the Netherlands than upstream.

Perhaps someone who has sailed around that time can give you more impressions.

Basel to Amsterdam is the classic route and a great introduction to this part of the world if you have never been there before. But it is enjoyable for repeat cruisers too, of course. :classic_smile:

Oh, and if you have not joined a roll call yet, you may like to do so. Some people prefer to answer questions more in that private space.

notamermaid

I don't know what is happening with river cruise ships these days... In the early hours of Tuesday a river cruise ship hit a yacht of sorts that was docked at a landing stage at Alken on the Moselle. Yacht and steel construction suffered a lot of damage. Apparently the river cruise ship also crashed into a supporting wall of the embankment, making the wall partly collapse. The name of the ship has not been disclosed. The accident is obviously under investigation.

Back to the Rhine, where conditions are of course worsening. With every centimetre of level lost, the shallows and rocks become bigger hazards.

Kaub as forecast fell to 100cm early this morning, now stands at 96cm. Fluctuation happens of course but it is not much during 24 hours. Here is the graph to illustrate what I mean:

image.png.8ec58c8b47875ae3729d53b8494d63a7.png

With the absence of rain we see the steady slow decline, which is forecast to continue. 90cm may be reached by lunchtime tomorrow, 80cm is suggested for late Friday evening. Which brings us close to the ominous figure of 78cm. What this is about I will explain briefly for the newcomers to the subject later.

But now

On 7/11/2022 at 4:35 PM, notamermaid said:

And something about a statue in Bonn.

to Beethoven. The statue of the famous son of this city on the Rhine was erected in 1845. Being exposed to the elements, it suffered and after restoration has now returned onto its base in front of the old Postamt. Famous is the unveiling ceremony, tourist guides in the city I think have been using this incident for chuckles from their listeners ever since (I have been a happy listener myself)!

https://www.dw.com/en/polished-beethoven-returns-to-bonn/a-60348962

notamermaid

22 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

In the early hours of Tuesday a river cruise ship hit a yacht of sorts that was docked at a landing stage at Alken on the Moselle. Yacht and steel construction suffered a lot of damage.

I have just read that it is not a yacht but the excursion boat "MS Goldstück" :classic_sad:.

Further reporting in the Moselle thread.

notamermaid

Ive done about half my cruising in October and November.  those trips always ended up being cold cloudy and occasionally misty rain.  Cold enough that you cant really be on deck if the ship is moving due to the wind.

It also gets dark fairly early.

Sorry if Im not selling the experience..I enjoyed my fall cruises but there is a definite "theme" to the pictures each time.(picture is from the Danube) 

IMG_2670.jpg

Thank you for the photo, I think it gets the mood across on the Rhine during the cloudy days nicely (the hilly river regions are quite similar to each other).

2 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

It also gets dark fairly early.

That reminds me. Last Sunday in October European Summer Time ends (30 October 2022) and that leap of an hour makes quite a difference to evening schedules, i.e. one will most likely have dinner with darkness outside from that evening.

If one wants to plan accordingly, I think this can help: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/germany/cologne

I have set it for Cologne in this example.

Also: 1 November is All Saints Day which is a public holiday in many areas (shop closure).

notamermaid

The river levels this lunchtime:

Maxau 384cm (Upper Rhine valley)

Kaub 89cm (Middle Rhine valley aka Rhine Gorge)

Koblenz 89cm (Middle Rhine valley just before Moselle confluence)

Cologne 143cm (Lower Rhine valley)

All rivers in the catchment area of the Rhine are suffering, as you can imagine. Those controlled by locks can remain navigable but like the Neckar for example are nevertheless showing up orange on the gauges map, meaning they are statistically low. The problem in the Rhine Gorge with the lack of rain is a combination of the level in Lake Constance falling (the Rhine's natural reservoir), the large tributaries not supplying enough water and the navigation channel being the shallowest of any sections of the river.

Ships are already slowing down it seems and yesterday I read of the nicko cruises Rhein Melodie not making it as far as Strasbourg on her planned itinerary. Strasbourg was done as an excursion from Mannheim (the itinerary was not supposed to go as far upstream as Basel it appears).

Let us have a look at the rocks exposed at Oberwesel (photos from a previous year):

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Jungfrauen_01_1.JPG

They are the seven maidens (the navigational/authorities word is Jungferngrund) at kilometre 551 and, as you can imagine on the Rhine, there is a legend attached to them.

Outlook for tomorrow: 86cm to 83cm. Modelling suggests the decline is slowing down and the figure 80 has been pushed to Saturday. No recovery in sight, which makes it all a bit ominous and brings 78cm into view for Sunday.

notamermaid

It is a cruel twist that on this day we hope to have some rain, mother nature can be brutal to us. A year ago today rain, torrential rain, swept the area and devastated the Ahr valley. We had flooding in Western Europe. People along the Rhine have not forgotten, while life goes on and the catastrophe was not covered in the news much, I am often reminded of it and so are many people. I live close enough and have met people from the Ahr valley and helpers.

It is good to read that international news outlets during the last few days have come back to the valley with coverage of life a year after the floods. But more on that in another thread.

notamermaid