Food on Labadee

schwabby

25 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

They didn’t have lamb chops last week. Shrimp skewers, minute steak and bbq ribs along with the burgers and hot dogs. 
Skewers and steak was good but the ribs were tough as a boot. 
Sand flies hovering the sand everywhere but they were not a bother at all. 

4D4A832E-3343-4CBA-BFC3-EDBDB136E013.MOV

Menu sounds good.  Too bad about the ribs.  Glad sand flies were not a bother.

10 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

Thanks!!  It's a nice beach.  I rented a Cabana a few years ago when we sailed on Freedom.  

Just a bit of reminiscing.  It certainly has changed over time.  Our first visit there was in the early 90's when it was nothing more than a large beach area over by what is now Columbus Cove, which is also where the original tender dock was located.  Had to tender from the ship which was anchored off what is now Barefoot Beach.  There was a straw market - pretty much where the ones run by the locals is now, a few original shells of old buildings, and a few walking trails.  Barefoot and Nellies beaches were there, but open to everyone, with no cabanas.  Still had the main dining area where it is now in the center of peninsula, but nothing developed at the far end and no beach on the opposite side - that was rocky and undeveloped. 

Very rustic and castaway-like.  And a lot of fun.  Became one of our favorite stops because at the time it was very unique.  Have been there many times over the years and watched the development from cruise to cruise.  Still a nice stop to make and one we still enjoy, but it is hardly recognizable from the early days.

Also was at CocoCay for the first time in 1992, and can make the same comparisons - and feelings - to Labadee over the years.  The water themed park it is today is a far cry from the barren island it was in the beginning....

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I should add that you can wait until you are there to book your lunch time, but your options will likely be limited.  That happened with us the first time in October as we only decided once we were at CocoCay to go the Beach Club, and the only times open were 11:30 and 2:30.  We chose the earlier time, which turned out to be fine.  But on our next visit earlier this month we reserved 1:30 in advance.

Hmmmm… I think I’ll see if I can request our concierge to set up our time in advance…

We enjoy the ship on Labadee stops. The beach food is just average in our opinion. 

We like to just stay on the ship and enjoy the solarium hot tub by ourselves (or sometimes with a couple other people) with a few drinks. The Windjammer lunch is nice with few people. Very relaxing.