Upgraded from VF to VT Balcony?

strickerj

I'm on the Eurodam roundtrip to Alaska from Seattle on May 21, and I got an unsolicited confirmation from HAL yesterday with a new cabin number (switched from VF balcony on deck 4 to VT balcony on deck 11). From what I can tell, the cabin we were moved from has the solid railing that you can't see through when sitting down, but the cabin we've moved to has what amounts to a French balcony without any furniture. Anything I'm missing here, and any thoughts on if this is a good switch or if I should call to try to change it?

29 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I'm on the Eurodam roundtrip to Alaska from Seattle on May 21, and I got an unsolicited confirmation from HAL yesterday with a new cabin number (switched from VF balcony on deck 4 to VT balcony on deck 11). From what I can tell, the cabin we were moved from has the solid railing that you can't see through when sitting down, but the cabin we've moved to has what amounts to a French balcony without any furniture. Anything I'm missing here, and any thoughts on if this is a good switch or if I should call to try to change it?

Those Juliet balconies are tiny.  They don't appear to have any chairs and they definitely have no protection from sun or rain.  They are pretty high up too, for those who have fear of heights.

You may want to contact HAL to see if they would be willing to relocate you to another balcony location.  It is very possible they moved you from your VF due to that area being set aside for COVID-positive passengers.  That doesn't mean there aren't other balcony cabins available beyond these VT cabins...never hurts to ask, especially over 3 months out from the cruise.

eudm11001DSCN8500

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

That's a bummer; I saw that pic on halfacts.com and thought that might be the case. I'm thinking deck 6 or 7 instead then, away from the public areas and above the row of lifeboats.

We had 8022 and 8024 on the Eurodam in December.  It looks like there are some cabins available very near there on your cruise.  Our cabin location was nice in that it was the floor below the lido deck but was very quiet due to being below spa treatment rooms that aren't used at night.  It was nice just going up one floor to the fitness center, lido pool, lido market buffet, etc. and up a few floors to the Crow's Nest or roof top for great views.

If you do book in that area, be careful to not get one much further forward or you won't be able to use your balcony light at night due to being too close to the bridge wing windows (the light would affect the bridge crew's night vision).

• Like 1

I hadn't considered deck 8; I'd read a number of posts on here saying don't stay right below the Lido deck because of the noise. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do. I can pay a modest amount for an upgrade if necessary since I still have some FCC left that would otherwise go to waste.

16 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I hadn't considered deck 8; I'd read a number of posts on here saying don't stay right below the Lido deck because of the noise. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do. I can pay a modest amount for an upgrade if necessary since I still have some FCC left that would otherwise go to waste.

I made sure to check what was above us before booking deck 8 too.  Cruisedeckplans . com has a nice cabin check tool that shows the deck plan directly above and below whatever cabin you select. 

It was nice having an unobstructed view straight down too with no lifeboats in the way.  By the way, we could see those little Juliet balconies 3 decks above ours.  They were definitely tiny. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, strickerj said:

Just a suggestion.  Download the Eurodam stateroom pdf online https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/eurodam-deck-plan-100520.pdf then looking at the staterooms you can see what is above, side, and below.  I personally would NOT have a stateroom below LIDO because even when the Lido is closed, staff is moving things around using the carts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

Just a suggestion.  Download the Eurodam stateroom pdf online https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/eurodam-deck-plan-100520.pdf then looking at the staterooms you can see what is above, side, and below.  I personally would NOT have a stateroom below LIDO because even when the Lido is closed, staff is moving things around using the carts.  

Already did. I was looking at it when I got my initial stateroom assignment a couple weeks ago. (We switched to this from the Noordam Glacier Discovery Northbound out of Vancouver, since I didn't want to deal with Canada's entry requirements.)

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I like deck 8 IF I can be below the lido dining area, NOT the pool area.

Funny. I’m just the opposite. I hate hearing the lido carts going across the floor in the early morning hours, but I don’t hear much movement above me when I’m under the pool area. Once in a while, I might hear a chair scrape across the floor, but it’s mostly during the daytime. 

If you are not able to switch cabins, you might want to think about purchasing Club Orange for your cruise. With that purchase you will be able to move to the best available cabin in the verandah category and also receive the additional benefits.

looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

Rochelle

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

The assigned VT might be the highest in the verandah category.

Just did a really quick search and Cabin 4183 is available. It is a VB category. For me the charge to add Club Orange would be worth it to score an aft facing balcony, especially for Alaska. The OP mentioned being willing to pay nominally for an upgrade if necessary. I think this would be a great way to spend that extra FCC.  Would be great to enjoy views of both sides and the rear of the ship while enjoying that mimosa delivered with breakfast every morning. 👍

Rochelle

Despite the Juliet balcony, that would be a great location on a ship to me. I’d grab a corner retreat cabana for the length of the cruise— it’s mere steps away. Crows nest and great morning coffee right there, too.

My two cents is that a spacious cabin with easy access to an exterior viewing deck is the best for Alaska— way more important than your balcony size.

18 hours ago, matthewthompson87 said:

My two cents is that a spacious cabin with easy access to an exterior viewing deck is the best for Alaska— way more important than your balcony size.

So, you enjoy standing on that small VT balcony with no place to sit for a long time?  

On 2/1/2022 at 5:49 PM, strickerj said:

Were you on the port or starboard side? We’re on the Eurodam, in cabin 4041 (starboard) for our August Alaskan cruise this summer. I’m getting nervous that they may move us as well. There are 3 of us in the cabin so the extra balcony space was perfect! I thought I’d read that only one side of deck 4 is for quarantine (but of course, can’t find the post now). Hoping, probably against hope, that we don’t get moved. I know they definitely wouldn’t move us to a cabin with a Juliet balcony as we need a triple. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Were you on the port or starboard side? We’re on the Eurodam, in cabin 4041 (starboard) for our August Alaskan cruise this summer. I’m getting nervous that they may move us as well. There are 3 of us in the cabin so the extra balcony space was perfect! I thought I’d read that only one side of deck 4 is for quarantine (but of course, can’t find the post now). Hoping, probably against hope, that we don’t get moved. I know they definitely wouldn’t move us to a cabin with a Juliet balcony as we need a triple. 

Starboard side in the forward third (rooms 4037 and 4039). I picked starboard for the northbound itinerary we had originally, but for a roundtrip, it didn't matter as much to me.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I would not consider a VT as an upgrade from any V category.  If I had deliberately booked an inside or OV I would be loathe to move to a VT. 

While I agree with you, HAL does not and it can really mess you up when you have booked a guarantee cabin (with some offers you do not have a choice I know).  If you have a guarantee, I would cinsider booking Club Orange for the free upgrade BEFORE HAL assigns you cabin, as it might be difficult to do this once you are assigned to a VT, thus you cannot upgrade this to a VA or whatever,  Of course, I would call HAL and ask about this approach as you would have nothing to lose and HAL is known for its inconsistancy in many things.

So I think I'll ask for the aft section on deck 5 or 6. I tried calling but didn't even get the option to hold, just "Due to call volumes, we are unable to take your call. Please try again later." I'll call back Monday; I imagine they have reduced staff on the weekends.

Just putting my 2 cents in, about recommending the Club Orange and what HAL as done in this case. With the Signature Class ships for Verandah categories the lowest category is VH, then VF, VE, VD, VS, VB, VA V. VT. then VQ. VT is the one mentioned in this post and VQ is a Spa Verandah. If you do the Club Orange and take the Upgrade option you must move to the Highest available category above what you currently have. If there are no higher categories above what you have booked they will give you ship board credit in lieu but say you are booked in VH and want the VB you cannot get that category if there is a higher category you must get the highest available under Club Orange. For this particular ship that most likely will be VT or VQ of which most do not want so they are usually always available. Other Class of ships taking the Club Orange can be a good move but not so on the Eurodam. I feel bad for the OP because unfortuately in HAL's Eyes they see this as a big upgrade and Buying Club Orange would not help this situation at all. He can try to talk them into moving to a different category but he would be better to offer to pay the different to choose a different category and cabin.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, strickerj said:

So I think I'll ask for the aft section on deck 5 or 6. I tried calling but didn't even get the option to hold, just "Due to call volumes, we are unable to take your call. Please try again later." I'll call back Monday; I imagine they have reduced staff on the weekends.

Actually keep trying you can call back three minutes later and not get that recording.