Guarantee cabin assigned, can I request a cabin in the same category if available?

binro01

I booked a guarantee ocean view balcony on Allure of the Seas for our cruise in February. We have been assigned our cabin recently an it's a category 1D OV balcony.

I notice a cabin on the 8th floor that I would prefer to get us closer to central park that is the same category as our currently assigned cabin.

Can I request my assignment to be changed to that cabin on the 8th now that we have an assignment or is that not allowed because I booked a guarantee ocean view balcony?

Edited by binro01

• binro01 changed the title to Guarantee cabin assigned, can I request a cabin in the same category if available?
1 minute ago, binro01 said:

I booked a guarantee ocean view balcony on Allure of the Seas for our cruise in February. We have been assigned our cabin recently an it's a category 1D OV balcony.

I notice a cabin on the 8th floor that I would prefer to get us closer to central park that is the same category as our currently assigned cabin.

Can I request my assignment to be changed to that cabin on the 8th now that we have an assignment or is that not allowed because I booked a guarantee ocean view balcony?

If you booked through a TA, you'll have to call them to make the request, otherwise you can call Royal and ask to be moved. As long as it's a 1D to 1D and still available, they should be able to do it for you.  Hopefully others chime in with their experiences.  

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

If you booked through a TA, you'll have to call them to make the request, otherwise you can call Royal and ask to be moved. As long as it's a 1D to 1D and still available, they should be able to do it for you.  Hopefully others chime in with their experiences.  

I did book with a TA. I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully that room will still be available an it will work out. I will let you know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, locksley10 said:

In the past I had always been able to move in the same cat.

On my present cruise I CALLED C&A several times and got the same answer they will not move if you paid for a garantee.

Interesting, I just called the other day to do the same, and was told it would be re-priced at the prevailing rate. You can't move if it was a GTY rate.  I made the mistake of calling the reg reservations desk, and was on hold for over 40 minutes while they "checked with a supervisor", then I was cut off. I then called the C&A D+ desk and it was done in less than 10 minutes. 

So it seems like there is a little inconsistency here. If Royal figures out you booked at a guarantee rate, in theory you are not allowed to “choose” a cabin, but if that information is not offered, the request could be granted.

The only thing that worries me and I have seen threads about this, is sometimes people are being told they owe money at the port on embarkation day, and it concerning to me that something like this might be a cause for this to occur. 

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Never heard about that for Royal.

Not the best at the search feature for this board, but I’m pretty sure I seen that a couple of times here a few months back.

I think most of the times it occurred because of improper application of FCC to the booking, but something like this, I could see it causing potential issues too. Especially, if you had to not disclose your original booking category to accomplish a desired result.