Tours out of Cherbourg and Le Havre

ILoveScotland

I'm on the May 2nd Anthem of the Seas transatlantic from Cape Liberty, NJ to Southampton.  A ll of Royal Caribbean's shore excursions out of Cherbourg and Le Havre are sold out - well, the ones to the Normandy beaches.  I'm looking for recommendations of other reputable tour companies that do those tours in either port.  I will ask this question on our Roll Call forum but thought I'd ask here as well.  I'll add that I'm cruising solo. 

At Cherbourg it is dead easy to hire a car from Europcar (they'll come and pick you up from the port). We did a bus tour from Le Havre to the UK/Canadian beaches and next day did all the US beaches, Pont du Hoch and St, Mere l'Eglise from Cherbourg on our own with plenty of time to spare....just a thought.

Simon

On 2/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, tony s said:

Overlord Tours. We used them out of Leharve,excellent

+1. we had a fantastic tour w/Overlord in October out of Le Havre in October 2021......Saw the Normandy beaches, the cemetery and a couple of French villages.   

On 2/6/2022 at 4:33 PM, spunks said:

out of Le Harvre we used label West and got the best tour we ever had.....included the German cemetery...which was amazing to compare with the Allies Cemetery.

You are amongst the very few Americans, Brits, & Canuks who have visited a German war cemetery, and I'll hazard a guess that this was at the main Normandy cemetery at La Cambe.

And yes, it's a stark contrast to the American cemetery ten miles away at Colleville sur Mer, and the other cemeteries of the Allies. Dark & sombre, much of it shaded by trees. Some graves with stubby black stone crosses, some with just a small  plinth in the ground, many with the names of several who were buried in a single grave. A centrepiece mound topped by a large black cross is a mass grave for 300 of the soldiers.

Well-maintained, but sooooo sombre.

Best La Cambe German War Cemetery Tours & Tickets - Book Now

JB 

• 1 month later...

If you've done Normandy tours in the past, is a tour to the town of Bayeux something that is easily arranged? I'm helping to plan for someone who is also on Anthem which seems like it will be in Cherbourg from about noon to 8pm. She has done the Normandy beach tours so is looking to see the town of Bayeux which looks like it might be great for a few hours? She does have some mobility issues so a guide with a driver is probably best. Most of the tour ideas even on TripAdvisor for this area are for WWII tours so just looking or other ideas.

• Like 1