Warning about Taxi Driver in Fort Lauderdale

geoherb

Beware of any taxi driver who wants to charge you a flat rate. The driver who picked me up at the airport this morning asked me if I was paying by cash. When I said "yes," he said it would be $25 from the airport to Embassy Suites. I told him that was wrong and he needed to use the meter. He told me his meter was broken. I told him what the price should be based on my experience, and he accepted that. 

According to the Consumer Protection Division of Broward County, taxis are supposed to charge "based exclusively on an operating taximeter." It's a good thing I knew what the price of a cab between the airport and my hotel should cost. I hate to think of the people this driver has cheated by charging too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also beware of “Princess Taxi” who was in the taxi line after a cruise a couple months ago.  Lots of beads hanging from the rear view mirror. Dirty car.  Didn’t speak a word.  Took off on some unpaved road behind the dock and got to the airport in 10 minutes.  She wanted $30.  I gave her a $20 and said keep the change.  She popped the trunk but didn’t help with my one suitcase. I felt very lucky that she pulled in right next to a police car at the airport.
I swore I would never use another FLL taxi after two other disastrous trips.  I’m sure there are honest, non intoxicated or non drugged taxi drivers in Fort Lauderdale.  I just haven’t found one.

29 minutes ago, nhraformula00 said:

My guess would be right around $ 10.

It's up to the time of day. I just did a fake reservation on Uber and it shows $32.00 for the the cheapest. It says its busy right now and fares are much higher.