Cozumel Rental Car

WVHillbilly

I want to explore Cozumel at my own pace and take some photographs especially on the east side, so I'm considering renting a car.  I heard some bad reviews regarding some of the cars.  Has anyone rented from a major company like Hertz or Budget, if so what was your experience?

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

There are major car rental agencies on the pier shopping areas, but google "Rentadora ISIS".  Older cars  but in good condition and cheaper and good service.

I second this.  I think the car we got in January was a 2019 Isuzu if I remember correctly 

2 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

I second this.  I think the car we got in January was a 2019 Isuzu if I remember correctly 

DId you leave a cash deposit or credit card?  Not keen on leaving them a credit card.  Also did you reserve on line?

• 2 weeks later...

We ALWAYS use ISIS Rentadora on Coz and in PDC. Yes they have older cars that are very inexpensive, but also nicer, new intermediates that are only ~$45/day.

The owner, Margarita, passed away earlier this year, but the family continues to operate the business here and in Playa.

We never have to leave a deposit and we pay in pesos. But they may ask to place an $8,000 ($400 USD) hold on your card which is removed upon return with no damages…

Cannot recommend either location enough!

Edited by blue_water

Never rented a car and always go private driver route. I suggest you do thorough research before you decide if it is worth it to you, especially on a cruise ship day.

That said, also take into account which pier you will be at. Rentadora certainly  gets good reviews, esoecially with land visitors but they are located in town, which may mean $8 each way taxi plus time unless you dock at Langosta.

Not sure if you can make arrangements for pick up at pier.

We did a land vacation and rented with Rentadora ISIS and didn't have a bit of trouble with the car at all. Service was awesome and our car was nice. 

Just a little tid-bit of information about driving in Cozumel:

*Streets going to or from the waterfront are called "Calle"

*Streets going parallel to the waterfront are called "Avenida"

*Almost all of the streets are one-way with the exception of the main streets

*Every other street goes the opposite way

*Speed limits in town: 30 km per hour / 18 miles per hour & open road 50 km per hour / 30 miles per hour & the main street heading to the beach clubs (once out of town) did get up to 60-80 km per hour (or around 50mph). 

*Do not park anywhere the curbs are painted either red or yellow