Food Advice for an Idiot

Eggtuary

Just to be clear, the idiot I’m referring to in the thread title is me. 😀

I have a tendency to overeat.  I’m currently getting my weight under control.  I know that one of the great things about cruises is the opportunity to try lots of delicious foods.  And since a big reason to go on vacation is to relax, I do not plan to be uptight about calorie counting when I go on my first Viking cruise next month. 

That being said, I don’t want to be stupid about it.  So I’m wondering:  Is it possible to ask for half-portions of less healthy food options?  Because I’m one of these folks who hates to waste food, so I either eat the whole thing or feel guilty for wasting.  I know that food is completely included in the price of the cruise, so it’s not a matter of worrying about wasting my money.  I just genuinely hate for something to get thrown out that someone else could have enjoyed. 

I think I read somewhere that Manfredi’s offers half portions?  That’s perfect for me, because my wife and I both like to try a variety of things.  So if we could both do a number of half portions, that would be awesome.  But I’d like to know if I can do that elsewhere, especially in terms of sweets.  As much as I want to try Success Cake, I’d prefer not to get a whole slice. Especially because my wife doesn’t care for sweets, which means it does no good to ask her to split them with me. 

I realize the whole premise of this question may seem silly to some. Perhaps I just have a hang-up I need to overcome. But I am curious how others approach this. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

I don't know if this will be helpful, as food is always subjective, but I was pleased that the portions served in the Restaurant were much more reasonable than ones we often find at home in restaurants. I don't want to imply that we ever went hungry, but more "comfortably full" rather  than stuffed. In the World Cafe, many of the desserts are presented as mini portions, so you can select more than one for variety. In Manfredi's, the trick is not to feel like you need to select something from each course, and Chef's Table is five courses but smallish portions.

As far as the Success cake, I am afraid you might just have to grit your teeth and eat it! Try not to worry about it too much, and do lots of walking to help balance out what you eat. Enjoy!

• Like 3

At Manfredi's you can get 1/2 portions of many items - pastas and the incredible steak!  I always asked for appetizer portions of the pastas and had 2 half steaks in our two visits there.

The World Cafe also offers opportunities for smaller portions.

• Like 2

To be honest, I felt that I ate less in the World Cafe than anywhere else. I know it sounds ridiculous because it is a "buffet", but I could get a salad or made to order chicken, or whatever, or just skip that and get a small portion of whatever I wanted without feeling the pressure of bread, appetizer, etc. You'll be fine no matter where you eat, just tell them what you want and they will comply. I actually lost 10 lbs on a 6 week cruise. I was walking and exercising every day, not having to worry about cooking, etc. Not stressing at home. March 2019 before pandemic!!

• Like 4

I'm a "small eater" by nature, and usually have difficulty finishing the portions routinely served in US restaurants. Fortunately the portion sizes on Viking are smaller and very reasonably sized (which is typical of most European countries), and Viking is all about service - all you need to do is request a half portion of anything on the menu and they can accommodate your request.  My hubby has to watch his weight as well and as Stretchcruz mentioned, he has actually lost weight on our cruises thanks to the activity & walking involved in many of the excursions (almost every port stop he's been able to exceed a 10K steps goal).   PS - you are NOT an idiot for being aware of what you need to do for your overall health and well-being.  On the contrary, I congratulate you.

• Like 8

I have requested half portions in all restaurants except for the Chefs Table.  In the WC you can serve yourself just a spoonful or if staff is serving you, a small portion.  I dont think you can get a half hamburger at the Pool Grill or a half waffle in Mamsens however.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We almost always order half portions. The serving size is usually a little more than half of the original serving. We usually start with a half portion of their Caeser salad which is wonderful (minus the anchovies 😄.  My husband is not a dessert eater but every once in a while he will order one scoop of ice cream. But they usually give him two scoops. I love the creme Brulé that they offer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I have requested half portions in all restaurants except for the Chefs Table.  In the WC you can serve yourself just a spoonful or if staff is serving you, a small portion.  I dont think you can get a half hamburger at the Pool Grill or a half waffle in Mamsens however.

Agreed Lorna!

we also felt the WC was easier to eat light.  Manfredis was tougher.  We tell them to remove the bread basket.

as for Pool Grill. We might have 1 burger a cruise as a treat.  But we love the 4 oz grilled Ahi steak.  No bread no fries, and just add a small green salad. The waiters got to know us and would ask if we wanted our usual Ahi, since very few people order it.  Hot dog and burgers with fries and onion rings are most passengers choices.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

To get a half hamburger at the Pool Grill you do need a companion willing to share. Lucky for me, my husband is willing to do so, even if he has a tendency to be a little uneven in cutting it in "half".  Soo good!  😊

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1

We found Viking to be the best line for healthy food and watching your weight.  My husband typically will lose a pound or two.  As others have said we found the WC to be really great.  Their seafood choices make it easy to eat healthy, yet enjoy a lovely meal.  I love the different assortment of side dishes, and being able to take just a bit of them, not dealing with large portions.  

However one word of caution....do not order eggs benedict.  I would have lost weight also if it hadn't been for those.  I heard another passenger state that as well. They are dangerous, don't get started.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

To get a half hamburger at the Pool Grill you do need a companion willing to share. Lucky for me, my husband is willing to do so, even if he has a tendency to be a little uneven in cutting it in "half".  Soo good!  😊

Ha!  You can ask the staff to split the hamburger in 2 even halves and put them on separate plates even!  Post-Covid, you now have to sit at a table at the Pool area for the Pool Grill, and they will come and take your order.

Note:  we also sometimes have them split an Ahi Tuna steak as well, and then with a little salad, it is a perfect sized lunch - to tide us over to Success Cake in the afternoon at Mamsen's !! 🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

However one word of caution....do not order eggs benedict.  I would have lost weight also if it hadn't been for those.  I heard another passenger state that as well. They are dangerous, don't get started.  

Thanks for the warning!  They are not a temptation for me, but my wife lives a good eggs benedict!

19 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Thanks for the warning!  They are not a temptation for me, but my wife lives a good eggs benedict!

My favorite breakfast (a variation on @Clay Clayton recommendations) - lamb chops, pistachio bun from Living Room, and Eggs Benedict.  I did not get the warning soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I get the hollandaise! 😂 

9A4D1AA0-65FD-4FBF-ADAD-436A816EA050.jpeg

Courtesy if your posting of getting lamb chops at breakfast, DH ‘dragged’ me there multiple mornings so he could get his lamb chop fix.  For him, his perfect breakfast was lamb chops, bagel with cream cheese and salmon and a chocolate croissant.  

I just stuck with eggs Bennie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Where do you get Lamb Chops for breakfast?????????😃

The Restaurant!  The pistachio bun is from the Living Room. I went down there first and got my tea latte and pistachio bun and took them up to The Restaurant.  I've had lamb before, but that was my first lamb chop - loved them.

• Like 3

We usually get room service for breakfast so we can quickly dress and leave. However, if I show my husband the pictures above, he might insist upon trying it. He likes a hearty breakfast and that certainly looks like one. I'm guessing it is in The Restaurant where you can order this.????

23 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Ha!  You can ask the staff to split the hamburger in 2 even halves and put them on separate plates even!  Post-Covid, you now have to sit at a table at the Pool area for the Pool Grill, and they will come and take your order.

Note:  we also sometimes have them split an Ahi Tuna steak as well, and then with a little salad, it is a perfect sized lunch - to tide us over to Success Cake in the afternoon at Mamsen's !! 🙂

That's exactly what we did at the Pool Grill! Agreed on a choice, the staff then split it onto two plates and we then served ourselves generously from the fab salad bar.

It's such a sensible thread, not idiotic at all. We found the WC perfect. We could serve ourselves little tasters of anything that was offered in the restaurant and indulge in the seafood bar too. So many good things!

It's far too tempting to overindulge  but apart from the delicious steak in Manfredi's we managed to receive smaller portions as we requested. Thankfully I don't have too much of a sweet tooth so the wonderfully tempting array of desserts doesn't do much for me. Those little raspberry tarts in Mamsen's however, well what can I say?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, miami mama said:

We usually get room service for breakfast so we can quickly dress and leave. However, if I show my husband the pictures above, he might insist upon trying it. He likes a hearty breakfast and that certainly looks like one. I'm guessing it is in The Restaurant where you can order this.????

Yes!  We also enjoyed breakfast at Mamsen's (waffles) and cinnamon rolls in the World Cafe.  Too many choices!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Courtesy if your posting of getting lamb chops at breakfast, DH ‘dragged’ me there multiple mornings so he could get his lamb chop fix.  For him, his perfect breakfast was lamb chops, bagel with cream cheese and salmon and a chocolate croissant.  

I just stuck with eggs Bennie.

If they run out of lamb chops you'll know I'm aboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, miami mama said:

We have taken to scheduling some of our excursions in afternoon time slots for the pleasure of a more leisurely morning. Sleep a little later and then go have a nice breakfast.

Of course, it all depends on the excursions on offer and the particular port. In ports of special interest, we want to spend as much time as possible ashore.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Pistachio buns? I missed those last time. Oh dear.

Unfortunately I didn’t discover them until the 2nd to last day of our first cruise but they are now the first thing I want when I get aboard. 

Available only at The Living Room Bar’s snack case in the morning, they are a delicious pastry with pistachios and raisins and have a lovely shiny glaze.  So so good. 

CD2A0037-5D13-4A46-AC30-77315B467A2C.webp

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I get the hollandaise! 😂 

9A4D1AA0-65FD-4FBF-ADAD-436A816EA050.jpeg

Clay, help a brit out, what do you say to order the eggs fried like that? In the UK a fried egg is as pictured, the sunny side up/easy/over easy is a bit of American I can't seem to get the hang of.

It's bacon that is multiple choice in the UK. (American style bacon is thin cut streaky, very crispy here)