NCL Drop Masks Mandate as of March 1st - Will HAL Follow?

Spire2000

3 hours ago, fshepinc said:

The problem with testing at the pier is that you can't get an appointment -at least not in San Diego! The first appointment they had available was two days after my ship sails... : ( 

It's getting harder and harder to find testing appointments. I have a stack of home tests, but those don't count for sailing as the test has to be "medically supervised." 

My last cruise had everyone test at the pier before boarding -I think that's a good system. It took a lot of space for lines, testing booths, and waiting areas -but it did inspire more than a little confidence.

The antigen COVID test that you can purchase from eMed qualify.  https://www.emed.com/airline-travel. The kits are really easy to use and it is medically supervised.  Just do not open the box and the proctor will guide you through every step.  Here is a YouTuber showing his experience with the kits. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zelker said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, it seems like the big question is - is HAL going to commit, by 2-18, to voluntarily opt into the CDC guidelines and of course mandate that at least 95% of passengers and crew are "up to date" with their vaccines in order to be rated at the new level of "vaccination standard of excellence" which then means isolation can be 5 days.  But if not, then it's still 10 days in isolation .... I think ....🤷‍♀️

"vaccination standard of excellence" requires that more than 95% are boosted!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I too felt 'very safe' after being fully vaccinated and boosted... until I got COVID and had a very rough time with it. 😷

That is what happened to my brother in law. Six days after his booster shot, he ended up in the ICU. A few days later he needed to be intubated. And then another few days later, he no longer needed to be intubated. The doctor and the nurses said his recovery was a miracle that could only be attributed to his vaccination status.

• Like 6

On 2/10/2022 at 2:01 PM, mcrcruiser said:

We feel that cruises for people who are elderly & have  other medical issues will be out of the question . We fit that category  . We will have to wear masks the rest of our lives  when shopping .We won't go to a movie or indoor restaurant 

Unless this virus   leaves  within the year ,we are finished with cruises . Why take the risk  where there are many people congregating  . A lot of  space between people is the answer  for safety  .There are no ventilating systems designed that can completely stop a virus 

I don't get this.  If I was in my 80's  with medical issues; I figure I am nearing the end of my life anyway and would want to enjoy the little time I had left.

Would I rather go cruising and enjoy life and risk getting a disease which may kill me  OR live like a hermit; almost never leaving home ; never eating out; never going to see a movie, etc.   and trying to squeeze another year or two out of life?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 4:53 AM, zelker said:

Are you talking about the 10 day onboard isolation being gone?  That's been our biggest concern for the upcoming 35 day HI/SoPac cruise (which I know you're on, too).  Do you have more info to share?

Under the voluntary CDC plan, the 10 day quarantine remains, unless the cruiseline requires both vaccination and boosters in which case it is shortened to 5 days. the new plan provides for 3 levels. Not 95% vaccinated, atleast 95% vaccinated, and atleast 95% vaccinated and boosted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would  love to be a fly on the wall hearing the cruise line's discussion about this new CDC "voluntary" program. I'm not sure what percentage of the US population is boosted at this point, but I would imagine that it's below 50%. This is going to severely limit a cruise line's passenger base. There are some very real concerns with getting boosters for those that are not at high risk for covid complications. In my opinion, the CDC shouldn't be pushing this issue. 

Edited by seatrial
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, seatrial said:

I would  love to be a fly on the wall hearing the cruise line's discussion about this new CDC "voluntary" program. I'm not sure what percentage of the US population is boosted at this point, but I would imagine that it's below 50%. This is going to severely limit a cruise line's passenger base. There are some very real concerns with getting boosters for those that are not at high risk for covid complications. In my opinion, the CDC shouldn't be pushing this issue. 

The existing 95% vaccinated without boosters still remains an option for the cruise lines so no change there.

The third tier with boosters shortens the quarantine time.

Also keep in mind that some countries have time limits after your last shot to be considered to be fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, seatrial said:

I believe it is well below 50%. Remember only around 65% are in the category of fully vaccinated with or without the boosters. I saw a figure for the % boosted recently; I don't remember the exact figure, but IIRC, it was in the mid 20s, maybe 26 or 27%.

it is interesting that Carnival Cruise Lines, not CCL, is accepting proof of recovery from Covid in lieu of a vaccine.  So that certainly increases the number of eligible persons.  March 1, dear lads and lasses.  I am betting there will be a major announcement on the evening of March 1.

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe it is well below 50%. Remember only around 65% are in the category of fully vaccinated with or without the boosters. I saw a figure for the % boosted recently; I don't remember the exact figure, but IIRC, it was in the mid 20s, maybe 26 or 27%.

That's about right, but I imagine if places start requiring a booster the rates will go up more quickly.

6 minutes ago, brainy blonde said:

Why March 1?  

State of the Union Address.  Last year he so wanted to declare a declaration of independence from Covid on July 4th but facts constrained him.  He did make some premature remarks about the end of covid. I expect something momentous on that date.  This is just my hunch.

4 hours ago, seatrial said:

The reason is pretty simple  they really do not want serious cases popping up on cruise ships.  The efficacy after 6 months Pfizer without booster  drops to 30-40% in preventing illness with Omicron, and 70% against hospitalization.  After booster those number increase for 4 months  to around 75% protection against infection and 88% against hospitalization.  In other words it reduces spread considerably, as well as keeps considerably more cases out of the hospital.

Note that the hospitalization numbers are compared to the numbers that would occur in an unvaccinated population.  So if 10% would be hospitalized without vaccine, then without booster it would be reduced to 3% and 1.2% with booster.  

Of course all of the numbers will degrade over time so the numbers for the vaccine only at 12 months will be worse than 6 and the numbers for booster at 6 will be worse than 4.

Edited by smbt1

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

State of the Union Address.  Last year he so wanted to declare a declaration of independence from Covid on July 4th but facts constrained him.  He did make some premature remarks about the end of covid. I expect something momentous on that date.  This is just my hunch.

If he could not do it last July when cases were down to about 12,000 and deaths around 200, it is unlikely it will happen on March 1 considering that daily cases is about 164,000 and may be at best, down around 50-70,000 on March 1. Especially considering the time lag in deaths which is still around 2000 per day.

Edited by smbt1

@smbt1  we will see.  Walensky made remarks this week indicating that a timeline to end restrictions is in the works (MSN article published this weekend).  Omicron is giving great hope that this is now a disease that can be dealt with on a normal basis.  Fauci and others in the bureaucracy have indicated that case counts are not what they are watching anymore but instead verified covid-caused hospitalizations and covid-caused deaths

Edited by Mary229

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@smbt1  we will see.  Walensky made remarks this week indicating that a timeline to end restrictions is in the works (MSN article published this weekend).  Omicron is giving great hope that this is now a disease that can be dealt with on a normal basis.  Fauci and others in the bureaucracy have indicated that case counts are not what they are watching anymore but instead verified covid-caused hospitalizations and covid-caused deaths

which is why I mentioned the deaths as well.  Certainly the end is in the works but the data is not there yet.  Especially considering the number of non-vaccinated in the population.  IF everyone were to vaccinate it would be over already.

As far as the question of deaths for all of the claims that the covid death numbers are overblown look at the US total death numbers for 2015 to 2020. increase per year from 2015 to 2019 was about 1% a year.  2019 to 2020 the increase was 18% and the total size of the increase was larger than the Covid caused number.  Making it likely that the Covid death count for 2020 was under reported, especially in the first few months before they realized the  true scope of body systems impacted. 

It takes about a year for total death numbers to get totaled so we will see 2021 total around the end of this year which will confirm if an over count is taking place.

Also keep in mind that the requirements will probably come off in layers.  First masking, second testing and last vaccination.  Unlikely all to happen at one time.

Edited by smbt1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@smbt1  let me underscore that I expect changes to travel restrictions but for the fully vaccinated only

That is the reason why it most likely would not come in the State of the Union.

Cruise ships can make the decision on lowering rules for those vaccinated because they have the information.  

The airlines and in general in the US that information is not known, so any restrictions would have to apply to vaccinated or unvaccinated because no way to enforce.

Airlines/airports will probably have masking around for a while considering the density of population and time.  

Because of the issues the SOTU may address progress, but it will not be the venue for federal dropping of restrictions or recommendations.  Especially since most of the restrictions are imposed at state or local level.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, ontheweb said:

That is what happened to my brother in law. Six days after his booster shot, he ended up in the ICU. A few days later he needed to be intubated. And then another few days later, he no longer needed to be intubated. The doctor and the nurses said his recovery was a miracle that could only be attributed to his vaccination status.

Just to update since even though this is old it is still getting likes---he is now out of rehab and at home.

• Like 3