NCL Drop Masks Mandate as of March 1st - Will HAL Follow?

Spire2000

15 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Common sense says if you've been vaccinated and test negative,  then masks aren't needed. There is a slight problem with the testing as you do have a 48 hour window where you still can get exposed to the virus. IMHO the answer and solution is that all passengers should be rapid tested at the pier at the expense of the cruise lines .

This is what NCL did in December.  We gave them a try because of that policy.  There were no problems.  Some ports required masks when off the ship.  We complied when required.  

• Like 6

The mask mandate for air travel expires March 18th.    The last one was due to expire Jan 18th and they extended it on Dec 2.    If they were following the same timeline, they would have extended this mandate on Feb 2nd.   They didn't 

I think they will let the air travel mask mandate expire on March 18th and then all the cruise lines will follow eliminating the requirement on their lines.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Common sense says if you've been vaccinated and test negative,  then masks aren't needed. There is a slight problem with the testing as you do have a 48 hour window where you still can get exposed to the virus. IMHO the answer and solution is that all passengers should be rapid tested at the pier at the expense of the cruise lines .

My wife and I are 100% in favor of requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated, boosted, and tested prior to boarding. They can also choose to wear a properly fitted N95 mask to offer additional protection. But if someone is in such poor health that they are still susceptible to hospitalization or worse if they get Omicron, then common sense says they should be isolating until Omicron is completely eradicated and not be cruising, or in areas where social distancing cannot be guaranteed.    

• Like 7

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Well then!. You'll easily find a cruise line that accommodates your wishes. You don't have to sail with oldies like us. 

In fact, I strongly urge you to turn your attention elsewhere. 😁

Just because we feel that being fully vaccinated, boosted and tested should offer enough protection to not make us wear masks, doesn't mean we would disregard / violate the rules on a particular ship. We just hope these restrictions will end sooner than some may want them to....... 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Our country has always been about individual freedom. And that's the only reason I will give up my rights for a stranger - to protect their freedom.

Weird. Seems like you grew up in an America very different from the one I grew up in. This country would never have been settled without cooperation and caring about others, not just ourselves. I grew up on stories from my grandparents about life in small farming communities where the survival of all was as important -- if not more so -- than the survival of any one individual. Food was shared, help was offered when needed. Children of parents who died were adopted and raised as their own. 

It's a shame that narrative is slowly being erased from memory and replaced by the strident "My freedom is more important than anything else!" crowd. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Masks. Ok who amongst us have been properly trained in the use of? I will attach a guideline for doing so. I guarantee less than most have read and followed. 

Masks are a not optimal solution. My opinion. Masks may make you feel safe, but when it gets uncomfortable and you for a second pull it away from your face it becomes nothing to save you.

Get your shot. and go enjoy life. This life of fear and worry is not my cup of tea. I need to enjoy a few days before I am no more. I will not be stupid. I will follow the science. I will also get out and have a great time with my cruise mates. Hopefully some of you will be those who we enjoy with. 

Anyway,  want to wear a mask? Here ya go. Oh dont forget to toss it out each and every time you do use it. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/proper-mask-wearing-coronavirus-prevention-infographic

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Weird. Seems like you grew up in an America very different from the one I grew up in. This country would never have been settled without cooperation and caring about others, not just ourselves. I grew up on stories from my grandparents about life in small farming communities where the survival of all was as important -- if not more so -- than the survival of any one individual. Food was shared, help was offered when needed. Children of parents who died were adopted and raised as their own. 

It's a shame that narrative is slowly being erased from memory and replaced by the strident "My freedom is more important than anything else!" crowd. 

I think you may have misunderstood my point. Many times as a Rotarian I have helped others thru volunteer work. When I'm going into a nursing home to read to residents, I would wear a mask when appropriate, or when serving food at a lunch kitchen. But that is quite different than forcing me to wear a mask anytime I go inside a building for almost the past 2 years. One is for a specific activity that I'm fortunate enough to participate in, the other I feel is a violation of my person.

• Like 7

Regarding masks and upcoming maskless cruising,, I’m in.

The protection provided has always been questionable (basic virus sizing versus paper masking protection, e.g. similar to mosquito protection utilizing chain links).

Basic requirements for cruising for now, I.e., “shots” and a booster, testing as required & basic hygiene seems equitable for the cruise line industry and passengers at this point in time.

With that said, if some folks wish to continue wearing a mask, that’s their choice and should not be considered a big deal to anyone else aboard if all the folks have followed the cruise line embarkation requirements.

JMO.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Scotto97 said:

They can also choose to wear a properly fitted N95 mask to offer additional protection.

You say that as if the mask is to protect the person wearing it. No, the mask protects the person near the mask wearer.
People you pass may be vulnerable, or they may have a vulnerable person to go home to. Not wearing a mask endangers others much more than you. Wearing the mask helps you keep your germs to yourself. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

I'm hoping that in June HAL will require masks INSIDE the ship but make them optional on the outside decks and the open pool deck. A nice sea breeze will help immensely.

That is the policy now

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You say that as if the mask is to protect the person wearing it. No, the mask protects the person near the mask wearer.
People you pass may be vulnerable, or they may have a vulnerable person to go home to. Not wearing a mask endangers others much more than you. Wearing the mask helps you keep your germs to yourself. 

So much for facts.  The N95 mask was literally designed to block OUT 95% of aerosols from coming in, not to keep in 95% of aerosols from coming out.  If the people you pass are vulnerable or live with the vulnerable, than it is their responsibility to protect themselves.   If you're vaccinated and boosted and properly wear an N95, you honestly shouldn't even worry about catching Covid, but again, so much for facts.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, shebag said:

Funny how the virus knows not to infect us while eating or drinking!!  Just saying

It seems your pragmatism is not welcome.

Me thinks, most folks on the CC board rather appreciate the “word salads”  provided by “the science” folks, as it were.

BTW, if cruising, please clear your throat / cough down wind.

Happy cruising!

Be well.

Bob

• Like 6

17 hours ago, KirkNC said:

After the last two years I have zero faith that people will do the right thing.  It’s not just you, we are all in this mess together.

You are missing the point.  I’ve been double vaxed and BOOSTED.  At that point it is just you if you feel a mask is necessary.    The science shows that if you want to wear a mask..fine, but it’s nt going to help

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lovetocruisee said:

You are missing the point.  I’ve been double vaxed and BOOSTED.  At that point it is just you if you feel a mask is necessary.    The science shows that if you want to wear a mask..fine, but it’s nt going to help

There are lots and lots and lots of scientists and experts who have spent decades studying and treating virus transmissions who would disagree with your assertion that wearing a mask doesn't help. 5 minutes of research might be a good idea.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, dockman said:

There are lots and lots and lots of scientists and experts who have spent decades studying and treating virus transmissions who would disagree with your assertion that wearing a mask doesn't help. 5 minutes of research might be a good idea.

I am a doctor.. but thank you.    I’m sure you will

be wearing a mask through ALL of the cold seasons 

• Like 5

I can't wait for all of this COVID stuff to end. Everyone has an opinion and my opinion may not agree with your opinion but it is still everyone's right to have an opinion.  Everybody needs to take a deep breath, relax, enjoy each day as it comes to you.  When COVID fades into the background there will just be something else we can all debate. Relax, life is short.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Sorry, but it's not my job as a stranger to protect you........Our country has always been about individual freedom. And that's the only reason I will give up my rights for a stranger - to protect their freedom. If you are too fragile to place yourself on a cruise ship after being fully immunized and wearing a properly fitted N95 mask, then you should not put yourself in that situation. I shouldn't be forced to wear a mask because of another person's health concerns / issues. BTW - I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and have no co-morbidities.

Would you support the elimination of all laws restricting the operating of a motor vehicle while intoxicated or impaired?  One persons rights end when they harm another.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lovetocruisee said:

My doctor has told me that wearing a mask will help protect me and others around me.  If masks don't help then why is it that every hospital, clinic, vax site, testing site,nursung home, airport, and doctors office that i have ever seen since covid appeared requires a mask to enter?  What do you know that they don't?

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, lovetocruisee said:

Some countries do! Think Japan and China. And they do not seem to have a problem wearing masks.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lovetocruisee said:

Interesting. In other posts here on CC you claim to be an agent. 

You must have quite the busy professional life...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2