Le Havre to Honfleur - DIY

Shiba_Lover

Hello - trying to find best way to get from Le Havre to Honfleur to explore a bit on our own.

So far I have worked out that we can take a ship shuttle into Le Havre, and from there we can catch a bus.

I am a bit lost on which bus, and how much it will cost (cannot read French, and cannot find a website with English translation).

So far, I believe this site is as good as I can find -- a bus 39 on Nomad transport -- ....https://www.nomadcar14.fr/fr/

But maybe taking a taxi is easiest?  Will it be easy to get a taxi in Honfleur for the return trip back to Le Havre? 

Thanks!!!!

When we were in Le Havre in 2017, we got off the ship and there were taxis at the dock.  We and two other couples piled into one car and the driver took us to Honfleur, about 30 minutes away.  My husband speaks french and so was able to communicate with the driver and we arranged a time for him to come back and pick us up, which he did without any issues.  His name was Gregoire Panel from Artisan taxi and he can be reached at gregoire.panel@yahoo.fr.  His english is limited but he did speak a little.  We enjoyed our time in Honfleur and had much more time to ourselves than if we had taken public transport or even the Princess tour which gave us limited hours.

Hope this helps

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, matamanoa said:

When we were in Le Havre in 2017, we got off the ship and there were taxis at the dock.  We and two other couples piled into one car and the driver took us to Honfleur, about 30 minutes away.  My husband speaks french and so was able to communicate with the driver and we arranged a time for him to come back and pick us up, which he did without any issues.  His name was Gregoire Panel from Artisan taxi and he can be reached at gregoire.panel@yahoo.fr.  His english is limited but he did speak a little.  We enjoyed our time in Honfleur and had much more time to ourselves than if we had taken public transport or even the Princess tour which gave us limited hours.

Hope this helps

A shared taxi from the quay is a great deal easier than the Bus Verts, even for those of us who speak French, because theit website  timetable is horrendous to understand.

https://s3.cloud.actigraph.com/busverts/upload/fiches_horaires/bis/L39S2.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=busverts&Expires=1644533999&Signature=EttbeltArrCPvOCikaUkqgBYsbo%3D

JB 🙂

On 2/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, ihopfar said:

I found this, but I have not been on my cruise stopping in La Havre so I cannot vouch for it!

https://www.beelehavre.com/guide/how-to-visit-discover-and-travel-easily-between-le-havre-and-honfleur-bus-shuttle-round-trip/249.html

I was able to find this company on Tripadvisor, and they have good reviews for this option.  This may be the way to go.  Thanks!

We went to Hon Fleur from LeHarve several years ago, there were French ladies, sort of a welcome group, arranging the group of vans helping folks to go where they wanted. We told them what we wanted, they called over a driver t take the 6 of us in a van, the driver spoke pretty good English and took us, then he picked us up at an arranged time, it is too long ago to remember the cost but it was reasonable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, ihopfar said:

I found this, but I have not been on my cruise stopping in La Havre so I cannot vouch for it!

https://www.beelehavre.com/guide/how-to-visit-discover-and-travel-easily-between-le-havre-and-honfleur-bus-shuttle-round-trip/249.html

I took it in 2018 and it was very easy. Walked around le Havre for about a 1 hr (that's all I needed / wanted) and then caught their bus. 

Le Harve:

20180629_092758.thumb.jpg.fb5943f3814a96d024cb199fa6301ef3.jpg20180629_092913.thumb.jpg.f2a14e7e32fcf35d8dd72cc576648bce.jpg

Ticket

819102095_Screenshot_2018-05-31-12-12-293.thumb.png.9192c347e77fe04ddeccc17dabcfb93e.png

Honfleur

20180629_123539.thumb.jpg.8c66da25330854c21e8fe58533978186.jpg

20180629_125239.thumb.jpg.c826b69f408c347236bd6002f5ee1916.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, matamanoa said:

Hope this helps

Can you remember how much this cost. We want to do the same thing and there are 3 of us so want something cheaper and more flexible than what the ship's excursion offers

• 2 weeks later...

We also taxi shared.  If you are on a RC for your sailing, there could be others on there also looking to share.

That failing, there may be other pax at the dock on the day who would also like to share.

Only difficulty could be finding a taxi big enough for 6 as there may be fewer of these, and other mini groups might also be looking for larger taxis., in which case be sure to leave the ship soon after clearance. And should there be a few larger taxis earlier on, you might also be able to look for a driver with some spoken english.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:50 PM, bjay3 said:

Can you remember how much this cost. We want to do the same thing and there are 3 of us so want something cheaper and more flexible than what the ship's excursion offers

If you simply want to go to Honfleur you can negotiate a price with a taxi (at the port).  Honfleur is a compact city that can easily be explored on foot on your own.  We strongly recommend a long lunch at one of the cafe/restaurants that surround the small harbor.  If you prefer to explore more of the region you might consider renting a car for the day (our preferred option).

Hank

On 2/8/2022 at 9:09 PM, ihopfar said:

Bee Le Havre is a reputablecompany.

But WARNING: there has been a labor action by dock workers (they handle walkways, tie up ship, etc) at that port and 15 cruises have already canceled stops since the beginning of April.  The tourist industry, including Bee, is suffering with no resolution in sight. Reputable companies will return any deposits if the stop is canceled, but you should stay as flexible as possible with your plans.

Edited by marazul

14 hours ago, marazul said:

Bee Le Havre is a reputablecompany.

But WARNING: there has been a labor action by dock workers (they handle walkways, tie up ship, etc) at that port and 15 cruises have already canceled stops since the beginning of April.  The tourist industry, including Bee, is suffering with no resolution in sight. Reputable companies will return any deposits if the stop is canceled, but you should stay as flexible as possible with your plans.

Industrial action - by French port workers?

Surely not 😉😉😉 🙄🙄🙄

JB 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

Ooops, I forgot.

British sarcasm doesn't travel well 😉

JB 🙂

You are right. Having lived in both Britain and France for several years, I think it says more about the Brits than the French. 😉😁

• Haha 1

I read a news article about the work stoppages/strikes. For those of us on cruises this spring stopping in France, we better have back up plans or be happy to have another day at sea. Perhaps the ships could get to Dover as a substitute?  I was in Guadeloupe (French) a few years back and our stop was severely impacted by a spontaneous strike. The passengers had no clue until we got off the ship and were ferried to buses. The protesters stopped all buses and taxis at the terminal. The German cruise ship didn't have any back up plans, but MSC did.