* TK Grill Bar is great spot for pre-dinner cocktails
* Caviar in the Pool is a ton of fun
* try the TK Napa Burger and TK Yountwurst at the Patio Grill
* have dinner at Earth & Ocean.  Fab menu.  Go early as it fills up fast
* don't miss the Galley Lunch, if still offered
* don't miss Chef's Dinner in The Restaurant
* don't miss Officers on Deck party on final nite before disembarkation
* accept dinner invites to hosted tables in The Restaurant at least once
* Sushi is worth a visit on Encore/Ovation.  Menu on formal nites is quite special
* souffles in The Restaurant are usually excellent
* house made gelato is pretty decent
* SB breadsticks are legendary and addictive
* special order any meal with 24+ hour notice
* purchase an FCD while onboard to get 5% discount on future cruise

Finally, resist the natural temptation to compare and contrast everything to Crystal.  Just appreciate the differences and enjoy Seabourn for what it is.

On the Ovation now.  Tell us about the Chef's dinner.   Saw  information on it but only listed the wines.  Since it s in the Restaurant is the menu the same as that being served to everyone or is it special for the Chef's Dinner  

6 hours ago, cruiser02 said:

On the Ovation now.  Tell us about the Chef's dinner.   Saw  information on it but only listed the wines.  Since it s in the Restaurant is the menu the same as that being served to everyone or is it special for the Chef's Dinner  

The Chef’s Dinner happens once per cruise in The Restaurant.  It's a multi-course fixed menu featuring signature dishes and a few special touches of the culinary team.  There is also a vegetarian version of the menu and Seabourn Classics are also available.  After the meal, the Executive Chef usually makes the rounds in the dining room and stops by guest tables for a quick chat.  It's a fun night that we always enjoy.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last Seabourn cruise in October, we read the menu for the Chef's Dinner and for the first time, we weren't excited by the menu. Then we noticed the Colonnade was doing its French menu, which we had never had before, and it looked more interesting to us. So we "blew off" the chef and captain to dine in the Colonnade — and had one of our best meals ever on the ship! There were very few people on that cruise, and a dozen or fewer in the Colonnade, so we got unwavering attention, including a visit from the chef. The point here: there are always options! If one option doesn't tickle you, go for something else.

• Thanks 1

I'm another Crystal refugee who is considering a Seabourn cruise on Ovation later this year.  I have questions about Sushi restaurant.  My wife loves sushi, so it is a material (but not decisive) factor in deciding whether to try Seabourn.

I'm confused as to whether there is a sushi restaurant on Ovation.  it does not show up on the list of dining options for Ovation (but it does show up on the list for Encore).  Is this just a glitch on the website, or is there really not a sushi restaurant on Ovation (I see it shown on the deck plan, but not on the dining options)?

I have read several posts saying to avoid the sushi restaurant on Seabourn and that it is not as good as Crystal's, but I have not really see any explanation as to the differences.  Are those comparisons based on the quality of the fish or the selection?  We are not really very picky about the selection as long as the quality is good (though my wife would not be too happy if they do not have the spicy tuna on crispy rice).  Crystal's sushi restaurant has a lot of good non-sushi options that are quite good, but having those options does matter that much to us (we live in Los Angeles less than a mile away from the original Matsuhisa from which Crystal's originated, but much more often eat basic sushi without all the bells and whistles).   

The Sushi is available on both Encore and Ovation (but not on the 3 Odyssey-class ships).  It is open for lunch (3 bentos, 1 ramen, and 1 veggie sushi roll) and for dinner (assorted sushi and sashimi plates).

I am vegetarian/vegan and can't comment on the quality of their sashimi/sushi, but my relatives are big and experienced fans and find their products highly enjoyable and delicious.  On the other hand, they just sailed on Oceania and had nothing good to say about the sushi (or for most of their food in general).

On formal nights, The Sushi features a kaiseki-style menu (vegetarian version also available, vegan version upon request), and both versions are quite good.  (I like the veggie version, and my relatives and friends all like the regular version.)

..... and if you want to be really naughty you have sushi/bento for starters, then a cocktail at the thomas keller bar from where you move on to a restaurant of your preference for the main dish ....

All is possible on Seabourn!

• Like 4

On 2/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, CwazeAndCwaze said:

WOW!!! LOL!!!  I'm loading up an extra bag of Fairy Dust as I type!!!!

XOXOXOXO

Elmer Fudd (sings Patsy Cline) Here.  I grew up in Woodland Hills (south of Ventura of course) and graduated from Taft High in 1975............I will be on Ovation July 16th for Norway Fjords.  I know you will love Seabourn. Enjoy!!!

2 hours ago, iramack said:

Elmer Fudd (sings Patsy Cline) Here.  I grew up in Woodland Hills (south of Ventura of course) and graduated from Taft High in 1975............I will be on Ovation July 16th for Norway Fjords.  I know you will love Seabourn. Enjoy!!!

I graduated Taft in '74!

I however grew up in Canoga Park.  Low rent district.  We didn't have a lot to do with you rich kids. 😉

2 hours ago, AtA said:

Drew and Scott, I'm really looking forward to meeting you both. Have loved your videos. (We have a TA in common. 😉 )

Thank you for this kindness.  And YES we have WONDERFUL TA in common!  And all of us are going to laugh our hienies off over drinks!

6 minutes ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

Thank you for this kindness.  And YES we have WONDERFUL TA in common!  And all of us are going to laugh our hienies off over drinks!

Oh Dahlings.... I do so hope you dont continuosly resort to low rent terms such as "HIENES" when the correct term is "Daraires" on such luxe lines as SEABOURN.  Of course if someone has been introduced then a more familiar term such as Glutus Maxamas maybe used.

After living downtown NYC for almost 40 years GREENWICH VILLAGE / WASHINGTON SQUARE - where Elanor Roosevelt chose to live) I learned the discrete live downtown & only wear leather Monday  Thursday while the Upper Eastside go to Bloomingdales.

So looking forward to your(hopefully not discrete) videos once again.....

hugs dahlings...hugs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Speaking of Glutus Maximus...will  you, Gooch , Tom & Terry be going to the disco on this upcoming cruise - your CHa Cha Cha moves are quite revolutionary from prior cruises......one can always learn new moves...can't one???

Hugs

I won't dance.. don't ask me.

• Haha 1

Back to what not to miss...

SEABOURN SQUARE: The grandmother's cake is a total winner.  Also, the little sandwiches they have there at lunch time are quite good if you want something light. The hot chocolate can be made out of hot frothy milk and a big chocolate lolly pop - make sure to specify that you want that version.

TK GRILL:  My recommendations - Caesar salad made table side, filet of sole, wilted spinach, carrots, and the ice cream sundae.  The lobster Newburgh is also usually quite good.  I'm not a fan of the whole roasted chicken, but some people really like it. Filets are always great, and appear to be better quality than what is served in MDR. The cookies they hand out after dinner are the best on the ship and make a great breakfast the next morning.

COLONNADE: The special TK nights are usually winners - particularly when they have the steak. I prefer the lunchtime buffet there to the buffet offerings on Crystal, particularly if you can snag an outdoor table.

POOL GRILL:  French fries! Pizza is not bad either.

MDR:  Lamb and scallops are our favorites, but the portions tend to be skimpy.  We always ask for a double portion when we order those.

Iramack - we will also be on the 7/16 Fjords adventure, getting on the week before in Stockholm, if the world is still in one piece. We are traveling with another couple and may be looking for 2 more people to share private tours.  Please let me know if you are interested - LSMEADEPHD [at] AOL [dot] com

Linda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, whystayhome said:

SEABOURN SQUARE: The hot chocolate can be made out ... a big chocolate lolly pop

Are you currently on the Ovation, or is this based on a previous cruise?  The hot chocolate on a stick was out of stock (or discontinued) in Q4 2021.  Have they reappeared recently?

The grandma cake is indeed nice.  They also rolled out last December several new, delicious and decadent cookies and other treats, including 3 vegan items.

At the Club last December, they also rolled out new pre-dinner canapés that were elegantly presented and served.  (The vegetarian and vegan options were, however, not as good at that time.) 

• Thanks 1

I haven’t seen the chocolate stick in years. 
I did read where someone said don’t go to the sushi restaurant because it’s not nearly as good as Crystal. Haven’t been on Crystal but I really liked the sushi restaurant on ovation, great spot for lunch as well. 

Currently on Ovation:  mostly agree with what’s already been discussed.  Pool grill is outstanding for lunch.  TK exquisite.  Big disappointment with the operation of the MDR (The Restaurant)…food is wonderfully prepared and presented, but service equivalent to a Princess ship, far below the engaged and personal service we’ve experienced on Oceania, Azamara, and even Cunard.  We’re hoping to score some extra evenings in TK.  

• Thanks 1

Wonder if you just had a change of staff due to the ship having a turn around at a port ? Should not have happened but no big deal  No one took our order as they thought others had taken order

I can image getting on a strange ship for the first time not knowing many other staff or how the ship is run

Had a cruise awhile ago where was a large crew change with us getting "the wrong table" with the staff still having to become a team?

Has happened to us on other cruise lines as well

• Like 2

Staff in the restaurant is just there to take your order and serve the food.  Never greeted by name by the reception staff or waiters.  No explanation of the offerings that day, or recommendations (absolutely standard practices on Regent, Oceania, Azamara, and Cunard).  Offer of after dinner coffee or drinks mostly not done. We’ve had to ask for the petit fours a couple of times.   We had far better service at one of the top restaurants in Epcot a few days before boarding Ovation.

2 hours ago, don731 said:

Staff in the restaurant is just there to take your order and serve the food.  Never greeted by name by the reception staff or waiters.  No explanation of the offerings that day, or recommendations (absolutely standard practices on Regent, Oceania, Azamara, and Cunard).  

We were on Ovation in January and this was not our experience at all. I agree that their service SHOULD be up to the level of the other top lines and in our case it was - except the hostess did not greet us by name as in past cruises - while other Restaurant staff did. I admit that I let that go. In hindsight, I should have pulled the food and beverage manager aside and expressed my disappointment. They need to know because that experience has caused you to lower your Seabourn expectation - not acceptable! 

• Like 1

We’re generally very easy going, but will share our experiences if they do a mid cruise survey.  On the Riviera , we were “adopted” by a top waiter and his assistant (they have open seating as well), and every meal in the MDR was joyous.  Based on many reports here and elsewhere, we were eagerly expecting over the top dining experiences.  Except for TK, so far that has not been the case.  

1 hour ago, don731 said:

We’re generally very easy going, but will share our experiences if they do a mid cruise survey.  On the Riviera , we were “adopted” by a top waiter and his assistant (they have open seating as well), and every meal in the MDR was joyous.  Based on many reports here and elsewhere, we were eagerly expecting over the top dining experiences.  Except for TK, so far that has not been the case.  

All I can say is that I have experienced what you are reporting on SB--and also wonderfully attentive and detailed  service which my husband found to be "too much".  I think people differ on what they expect and want.  My  husband wants very low key service with very little talking, but I sometimes enjoy more interaction (depending on the waiter).  I am thinking of one meal in particular which we shared with onboard friends in the MDR.  I thought the service was absolutely fun and delightful--while my husband said he did not want to sit at that waiter's table again.  I was so happy to encounter that same waiter the next morning--very very early in the morning  in the Observation Bar.  He insisted on bringing me tea and a  selection of pastries--saying I should just take one bite of each just to try them.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

We are currently on Ovation and have had incredibly attentive service. We found a team whom we are very pleased with and ask for their section each night.   They are very careful of my food allergies, keep our wine glasses full and pace our meal according to our request that night.  Our dinner at Sushi was also superb.  Take care

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CRUISER94044 said:

We are currently on Ovation and have had incredibly attentive service. We found a team whom we are very pleased with and ask for their section each night.   They are very careful of my food allergies, keep our wine glasses full and pace our meal according to our request that night.  Our dinner at Sushi was also superb.  Take care

It sounds like Don731 needs to contact you and find out what "team" and "section" of the MDR you are in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1