MUST NOT MISS on Seabourn Ovation!

CwazeAndCwaze

On 2/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, SLSD said:

On the first evening sail away,  be sure to go up to the Sky Bar.  We have met some great cruisers there.  And, it is a wonderful vantage point for a sail away. 

After you get settled in your suite on the first day, consider going by the TK Grill and meeting the crew member there.  If you want additional reservations, you can ask her what is available.  We like to make reservations for four--even if we do not initially know anyone else on the cruise.  We always meet people and it is fun to share a reservation. 

Check out the hot tub at the bow of the ship.  Mr. SLSD and I like to go there right after lunch.  We are not pool deck people, but enjoy the hot tub and sometimes have it all to ourselves.   Crew members come by to take your drink order here.  

Enjoy room service breakfast in your suite prior to an early morning excursion at a port.  You can order what you want--even if it is not on the room service menu.  

If there is a Bridge Tour and you don't respond early enough and it is full--you can ask for an additional tour and usually your request will be granted.  

Go to cooking demonstrations offered in the Grand Salon.  We have enjoyed them--humor is usually an aspect of these demonstrations.  

If you like a particular waiter in the Main Dining Room, don't hesitate to ask to be seated at one of their tables for subsequent meals.  

If you like a serene quiet breakfast, don't miss having breakfast in the main dining room.   We also enjoy having lunch there.  We are not buffet people and enjoy a white tablecloth meal. 

The staff at Seabourn Square can help you with most any issue that comes up.  Don't hesitate to ask them for whatever you need. 

At embarkation, be sure to ask to be seated on the deck outside of the Colonnade for lunch.  It is such a great way to start a cruise.  

Avail yourself of the $50.00 bag of laundry.  Seabourn will provide a laundry bag.  It doesn't look very big, but you will be amazed at how  much laundry can be stuffed into it!  Be sure to accurately count your laundry items on the provided form--otherwise, your laundry will be delayed.  I am terrible at counting pairs of my husband's socks---you just have to get the count right.  The laundry will be returned folded and/or hanging in your closet.  They do a great job. 

Accept some of the dinner invitations to dine with officers, entertainers, etc.  It is a great way to learn more about how the ship works and meet fellow guests.  

Unfortunately, right now they cannot have hosted dinners. Probably won't have them again until the crossing...

On 2/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, whystayhome said:

Back to what not to miss...

SEABOURN SQUARE: The grandmother's cake is a total winner.  Also, the little sandwiches they have there at lunch time are quite good if you want something light. The hot chocolate can be made out of hot frothy milk and a big chocolate lolly pop - make sure to specify that you want that version.

TK GRILL:  My recommendations - Caesar salad made table side, filet of sole, wilted spinach, carrots, and the ice cream sundae.  The lobster Newburgh is also usually quite good.  I'm not a fan of the whole roasted chicken, but some people really like it. Filets are always great, and appear to be better quality than what is served in MDR. The cookies they hand out after dinner are the best on the ship and make a great breakfast the next morning.

COLONNADE: The special TK nights are usually winners - particularly when they have the steak. I prefer the lunchtime buffet there to the buffet offerings on Crystal, particularly if you can snag an outdoor table.

POOL GRILL:  French fries! Pizza is not bad either.

MDR:  Lamb and scallops are our favorites, but the portions tend to be skimpy.  We always ask for a double portion when we order those.

Iramack - we will also be on the 7/16 Fjords adventure, getting on the week before in Stockholm, if the world is still in one piece. We are traveling with another couple and may be looking for 2 more people to share private tours.  Please let me know if you are interested - LSMEADEPHD [at] AOL [dot] com

Linda

As far as pizza goes, they always have 2 options. Margherita and 1 with meat BUT you can always order any kind of pizza that you want and they will make it for you.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:40 PM, sfvoyage said:

Are you currently on the Ovation, or is this based on a previous cruise?  The hot chocolate on a stick was out of stock (or discontinued) in Q4 2021.  Have they reappeared recently?

The grandma cake is indeed nice.  They also rolled out last December several new, delicious and decadent cookies and other treats, including 3 vegan items.

At the Club last December, they also rolled out new pre-dinner canapés that were elegantly presented and served.  (The vegetarian and vegan options were, however, not as good at that time.) 

I am currently on Ovation. I get the hot chocolate almost every day. The chocolate lollipops are back although not the same brand. Still, they are good.

Repeating a small-ish thing....but another thumbs-up for the Grandma's cake in the Square, as well as the soppressata/arugula focaccia.  Sometimes a 4:00-ish snack just hits the spot.   (had never heard of "soppressata" before - it's an Italian dry salami -  but just got a stick of it through Amazon, and will try to re-create at home...)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shark b8 said:

...also 4:00-ish gelato.  You can find it at the Square or at the Patio bar near the pool.  We hunted for our fave "caramel & sea salt" flavor this last cruise, but unfortunately, it was not to be.   😪

We love Grandma's cake as well.  For our 4pm snack, we go for Tea in the Observation Bar.  I enjoy the cucumber sandwiches and sometimes Grandma's Cake is served.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 3:48 PM, tryber said:

I have read several posts saying to avoid the sushi restaurant on Seabourn and that it is not as good as Crystal's, but I have not really see any explanation as to the differences.  Are those comparisons based on the quality of the fish or the selection? .   

I'm not picky about sushi.  Nobu is excellent, even I know that.   My experience on Ovation was very good.   IMO, accepting advice from strangers to avoid SB sushi restaurant is quite foolish.

In less polite terms.....it's borderline insanity. 

Edited by saminina
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, saminina said:

I'm not picky about sushi.  Nobu is excellent, even I know that.   My experience on Ovation was very good.   IMO, accepting advice from strangers advising avoid SB sushi restaurant is quite foolish.

In less polite terms.....it's insane.  

Think of a very nice Japanese restaurant at home.  Not Nobu, and definitely not the Peruvian touches of Nobu. 

We enjoyed it both at lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

Having dined at both Crystal Umi Uma and SB Sushi, SB is more of a sushi restaurant.  Umi Uma is a Nobu name paid (like TK on SB) venue with a lot more dishes beyond sushi and I found there were more actual sushi choices on SB.  IMO same quality of fish at both.  I'd gladly dine in either although only Sushi is an option now.  Too bad it is not an option on the O class ships....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Having dined at both Crystal Umi Uma and SB Sushi, SB is more of a sushi restaurant.  Umi Uma is a Nobu name paid (like TK on SB) venue with a lot more dishes beyond sushi and I found there were more actual sushi choices on SB.  IMO same quality of fish at both.  I'd gladly dine in either although only Sushi is an option now.  Too bad it is not an option on the O class ships....

If Sushi is our only option, then SUSHI it shall be.  I like the description of a "very nice Japanese restaurant at home." That works for me.    As Sushi lovers, I expect we'll be there at least a few times.  Having dined at a special Omakase dinner with Chef Nobu himself present, nothing can compare.So we won't try to make comparisons.  

• Like 1

Well if you had Nobu present then that must have been a great experience.  Good for you! Have dined at serveral of Nobu restaurants and all have been very good, love the one on Oahu. Your experience sort of sounds like when we had Guy Savoy actually be in the kitchen in his namesake Vegas restaurant and come out to talk to us about what we ordered many years ago to insure he got it correct and subsequently check on it.  A very memorable night indeed, if a very expensive (and very over priced) one.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
spelling error

9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Well if you had Nobu present then that must have been a great experience.  Good for you! Have dined at serveral of Nobu restaurants and all have been very good, love the one on Oahu. Your experience sort of sounds like when we had Guy Savoy actually be in the kitchen in his namesake Vegas restaurant and come out to talk to us about what we ordered many years ago to insure he got it correct and subsequently check on it.  A very memorable night indeed, if a very expensive (and very over priced) one.

Heeeere's Nobu  

IMG_2114.JPG

Scannable Document on Jun 26, 2018 at 10_25_30 PM.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 6:16 AM, SLSD said:

We love Grandma's cake as well.  For our 4pm snack, we go for Tea in the Observation Bar.  I enjoy the cucumber sandwiches and sometimes Grandma's Cake is served.  

Does tea have scones?

@AtA they are fine but I don’t think they are better than Crystal’s. In particular the clotted cream was softer and lighter.  The one thing hard to tell from the picture is that everything is very petite (not a bad thing!) for example there’s nothing on the trays larger than 2 inches. Loose tea was nice. 

So, while I am going to try caviar for the first time (I've avoided it in the past because of my aversion to 'fishy' tasting things) because it is so ubiquitous on Seabourn, I am more excited about a rumor that I've read and heard.  Apparently Seabourn does a radically good Guacamole! Can someone enlighten me?

Always needy,

Scott

13 minutes ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

So, while I am going to try caviar for the first time (I've avoided it in the past because of my aversion to 'fishy' tasting things) because it is so ubiquitous on Seabourn, I am more excited about a rumor that I've read and heard.  Apparently Seabourn does a radically good Guacamole! Can someone enlighten me?

Always needy,

Scott

Cannot enlighten you - but will find out!

Hmm - Guac & Caviar together?  Nah - don't think so.  🙂  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CwazeAndCwaze said:

Apparently Seabourn does a radically good Guacamole! Can someone enlighten me?

Always needy,

Scott

If you have lunch outside at the Patio Grill, guac and chips are brought to your table once you place your order.  It's standard guac, a little on the chunky side, if that's your jam.  Not sure I'd call it rad (mine is better!) but it is refreshing, especially with a chilled glass of something on the side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dahlings - I'm not a great fan of caviar tho w a glass of bubbly it is quite nice.....to a  degree...

YEARS AGO - I discovered a bite at a cocktail party & it was quite nice - 

The chef steamed little red potatoes, cut them in half.  Remove 3/4 of the potato leaving the skin to act as a cup.

put a dab of sour cream (oniion dip optional) into the cup & put the caviar on top of the  sour cream..delish & not so fishy!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Dahlings - I'm not a great fan of caviar tho w a glass of bubbly it is quite nice.....to a  degree...

YEARS AGO - I discovered a bite at a cocktail party & it was quite nice - 

The chef steamed little red potatoes, cut them in half.  Remove 3/4 of the potato leaving the skin to act as a cup.

put a dab of sour cream (oniion dip optional) into the cup & put the caviar on top of the  sour cream..delish & not so fishy!!!

Those are potatoes Moscovitch. You can place a special order for them with 24 hours notice.

• Like 1