Viking Homelands 2022 Season

NeilP57

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

Envogram_Blue_600x255_INFO-River_v2.jpg

Baltic Jewels & The Midnight Sun
London (Greenwich) to Stockholm

01MAR2022

Dear Viking Guest,

We are writing today to keep you updated on your upcoming Viking voyage.

We are deeply opposed to the unfolding conflict in Ukraine and are heartbroken for all the people who are impacted. On February 24, we canceled all 2022 departures of our Ukraine river itinerary. Today, March 1, we have made the decision to cease all operations in Russia in 2022. Therefore, we have canceled all 2022 departures of our Russia river itineraries—and will replace scheduled stops in Russia for all 2022 ocean itineraries.

Rest assured, we will operate your Baltic Jewels & The Midnight Sun voyage and are currently developing a modified itinerary that will provide you with the Viking experience you expect and deserve. We will notify you directly as soon as details are finalized.

As a company that has been helping people explore the world for 25 years, we strongly believe in the power of travel to build connections between cultures. We remain hopeful for a quick resolution to the current conflict.

Thank you for your loyalty and support.

Sincerely yours,

Viking Cruises

Richard Marnell
Executive Vice President
Viking

Viking Cruises

Guess this answers the question re: St. Petersburg port. Thoughts?

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

It’s official that we are not going to St. Petersburg but not a surprise as most of us (especially on early spring cruises) knew it wouldn’t be happening. Now for the suspense of what changes will be made.

11 minutes ago, jrkear said:

I just heard from Viking on 3 possible new routes for the Homelands cruise. Has anyone else received information?

Haven’t received anything. Can you share what the three are?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jrkear said:

I just heard from Viking on 3 possible new routes for the Homelands cruise. Has anyone else received information?

Yes, what are the three possible routes please? 

18 hours ago, jrkear said:

Do tell..... you are keeping us all in suspense. We are booked on the Homelands May 20 sailing

Edited by TeamBAlways

This should be of no real surprise to drop any port in Russia. What person as a resident in the free world would want to contribute to the Russian economy anyway? I am booked to do Viking Homelands in May 2023 and even if they still went to St. Petersburgs next year which I hope they don’t, I would elect to stay on the ship. An absolute disgrace of what Russia has done to the Ukrainian people. For no apparent reason.

• Like 7

On 3/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, jrkear said:

The multiple downloads didn’t help.  Can you just list the alternate ports-asking for someone on the WC who can’t check CC due to the malfunctioning internet onboard. 

We used TJ Tours in 2017 in St Petersburg for 2 days.  It was well worth it.  Small group of approximately 12, lovely bus, and a great tour guide that was very knowledgeable.  We did NOT  have to put a deposit down, but, paid in full the 2nd day.  They took care of getting all visa's.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNJEWEL said:

We used TJ Tours in 2017 in St Petersburg for 2 days.  It was well worth it.  Small group of approximately 12, lovely bus, and a great tour guide that was very knowledgeable.  We did NOT  have to put a deposit down, but, paid in full the 2nd day.  They took care of getting all visa's.  

River you need a Visa but as an ocean visitor on a 2 day visit you don't need an actual Visa, but you Do need a letter from your tour company. We loved TJ as well!
We in the US are inconvenienced but TJ employees, et. al. have lost their livelihoods.

Edited by philw1776

7 hours ago, philw1776 said:

(SNIP)
We in the US are inconvenienced but TJ employees, et. al. have lost their livelihoods.

I felt the same way about the tour guides in Cuba.  Hard working people who tried their best to explain their country to foreign visitors, and share the pride they have in their country.  Folks who were extremely well paid in hard currency.

Having a few thousand dollars under your mattress could be very comforting in Russia right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petrous said:

Any additional updates from Viking regarding the new ports of call on Viking Homelands?

Nothing that I have seen as yet.  We sail June 22nd and no changes to MyVikingJourney.

Many considerations come into play.  We have flights booked through Viking Air Plus and if the embarkation/debarkation ports change then flights are affected.

Even the tour companies (external) are suggesting not to book yet because Viking have not posted the new itinerary on their sales webiste - it still show St. Petersburg as a port.

You have to figure they will alter the itinerary as little as possible. Maybe "stretch" the time in Stockholm/Helsinki/Talinn to use up STP time? The issue for many like us, I assume, is whether the cruise will still be worth doing given STP is a huge part of it.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

You have to figure they will alter the itinerary as little as possible. Maybe "stretch" the time in Stockholm/Helsinki/Talinn to use up STP time? The issue for many like us, I assume, is whether the cruise will still be worth doing given STP is a huge part of it.

STP is a huge draw. I think Viking will be at a disadvantage when competing for berthing space in alternative ports. Viking brings at most 930 passengers, other lines will bring thousands. Viking will not compete well in terms of economic benefit to a country.  Viking will have to do something to the offer to keep people from rolling their cruise over for a year. Are port calls in Gotland and Bornholm equivalent to STP?  I would expect some onboard credit to accompany the change. 

Yes STP is a huge draw.  One of the major reasons that we booked this, however, world events are what they are and no one, especially Viking is responsible for what is happening.  We have always wanted to see Russia, but because of the humanitarian crisis that Russia has created with the Ukrainian people, I don't think that I will ever now or in the future step foot on Russian soil.

I don't think that we should expect onboard credit from Viking because of a war breaking out.  Viking is not responsible.

Now, might Viking offer something in good will?  Perhaps, but I don't think that anyone should expect that.  This is outside of Viking's control.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes STP is a huge draw.  One of the major reasons that we booked this, however, world events are what they are and no one, especially Viking is responsible for what is happening.  We have always wanted to see Russia, but because of the humanitarian crisis that Russia has created with the Ukrainian people, I don't think that I will ever now or in the future step foot on Russian soil.

I don't think that we should expect onboard credit from Viking because of a war breaking out.  Viking is not responsible.

Now, might Viking offer something in good will?  Perhaps, but I don't think that anyone should expect that.  This is outside of Viking's control.

It's not a matter of what's in or out of their control. It's a matter of business retention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwlmg said:

STP is a huge draw. I think Viking will be at a disadvantage when competing for berthing space in alternative ports. Viking brings at most 930 passengers, other lines will bring thousands. Viking will not compete well in terms of economic benefit to a country.  Viking will have to do something to the offer to keep people from rolling their cruise over for a year. Are port calls in Gotland and Bornholm equivalent to STP?  I would expect some onboard credit to accompany the change. 

The size of the ships has positives as well as negatives.

While the ships may have less pax, they also only require 750' of berth, rather than the 1000'+ of mega ships and with less draught they can get into smaller ports and/or further into confined or shallower ports.

Viking is also a local Norwegian company, rather than a multi-national, which may also be a positive.

Not sure why you expect Viking to provide OBC, as they are deleting a country that is currently at war, to ensure your safety.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The size of the ships has positives as well as negatives.

While the ships may have less pax, they also only require 750' of berth, rather than the 1000'+ of mega ships and with less draught they can get into smaller ports and/or further into confined or shallower ports.

Viking is also a local Norwegian company, rather than a multi-national, which may also be a positive.

Not sure why you expect Viking to provide OBC, as they are deleting a country that is currently at war, to ensure your safety.

I believe Viking is carrying a large liability in vouchers. I also believe that absent STP and the substitution of other ports will cause people to exercise 'cancel for any reason' and take vouchers to take the cruise in 2023 increasing Viking's liability numbers. I see OBC as inducement for people to take their cruises as scheduled with the alternate ports.

MVJ has been partially updated for my May 6 departure. Bergen (overnight), Eidfjord, Stavanger, Oslo (overnight), Alborg, Copenhagen, Berlin, Bornholm, Gdansk, sea day, Mariehamn, Stockholm (overnight). They haven't yet adjusted excursions that we already signed up/paid for after the change happens (from Oslo on) and haven't updated with new excursions for new ports. Hopefully soon! Disappointed to not be stopping in Tallinn or Helsinki, but maybe Viking thought that was too close to the unrest.

Edited by BethU86
  • Thanks 1