Wifi prices, oh my

aubreyc1988

12 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This is for an 8 days cruise sailing in about 9 days:

image.png.b4cb026fdda56d54df150cc6f190ea9a.png

wow, weird. Was if always this price for your booking? Wonder if the price fluctuates...might wait until I board to see if they are better...or just make due to with the free minutes...

I was just coming here to say the same thing and ask a question. Is the streaming plan really worth it? I only want to use it to be able to use WhatsApp to check on the kids back home. Also do you use it while your phone is on airplane mode? So confuzzled lol any guidance would be much appreciated. Doing a Mex Riviera Cruise. 

6 minutes ago, Kclovesken said:

I was just coming here to say the same thing and ask a question. Is the streaming plan really worth it? I only want to use it to be able to use WhatsApp to check on the kids back home. Also do you use it while your phone is on airplane mode? So confuzzled lol any guidance would be much appreciated. Doing a Mex Riviera Cruise. 

Previously I have had both packages when they were around 90.00 to upgrade for 1 person. We shared the package a little bit. If my husband needs to work on the ship a little bit, he needs the upgraded premium package to unlock the VPN.  If he doesn't need to work or make any calls, the non premium package is fine. You will need the premium to use WhatsApp because the premium unlocks wifi calling and VPN. 

As it stands right now, idk if he is going to work or not on our upcoming cruise.  I usually leave it up to him, as they are his precious vacation days 🙂

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kclovesken said:

Just got back from a cruise a few days ago. 

Used the 150 minutes per person.

Stayed on airplane mode and tapped into ship WiFi. Were able to use all other apps on my phone through ship WiFi. Wasn't the best connection - very slow - but could ultimately connect.

Also, interestingly learned that there are several free sites on ship app - could connect with NCL.com and CruiseCritic - again, slow, but free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

wow, weird. Was if always this price for your booking? Wonder if the price fluctuates...might wait until I board to see if they are better...or just make due to with the free minutes...

The increase in prices is due to the fact on new bookings and modifications made to existing reservations we only get 150 free minutes as opposed to the old 250 minute perk. 

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

sorry but some of us have to work on vacation, so it's not always ideal but necessary evil of life. 

This applies solely to the Getaway, as it doesn’t match my experience in the past.  I paid the uplift for premium and Norwegian has delivered.  I have had to join several conference calls on sea days and have had no problem with various video call apps - Teams, Zoom, and WebEx.  So far I’ve taken all calls on my balcony and have had video on even with parties who don’t normally turn their videos on.  (Schedule a conference call during my vacation and there has to be some price to pay - it didn’t hurt that we’ve had fantastic weather.)  On one call one of my partners who lives in the exurbs of a cold northern city had worse connection problems than I did.  

I’m very happy I paid for it and I will have no problem justifying charging the firm for the expense.

Good luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

1246386867_ScreenShot2022-02-10at8_23_11AM.png.b01fe41a85d9c619630e5f9c9454eeb4.png

Wow, end of Oct I was able just to get one device Premium Wifi upgrade for 90.00! Won't be paying 358 WOW 😮 

Looks like that's a total price for both to be upgraded. New packages come with minutes for guests 1&2. This upgrades both guests.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

Two months ago, Bliss, I paid $87 for the unlimited upgrade.  Of course could be only used on one device at a time.  That looks like what the $114 package is now.  And subtle counseling as to how I use my time on the ship, not necessary for me.  We each have our respective and possibly different individual lifestyles.  And get to choose accordingly.  

• Like 1

Just now, jlseymour3 said:

This applies solely to the Getaway, as it doesn’t match my experience in the past.  I paid the uplift for premium and Norwegian has delivered.  I have had to join several conference calls on sea days and have had no problem with various video call apps - Teams, Zoom, and WebEx.  So far I’ve taken all calls on my balcony and have had video on even with parties who don’t normally turn their videos on.  (Schedule a conference call during my vacation and there has to be some price to pay - it didn’t hurt that we’ve had fantastic weather.)  On one call one of my partners who lives in the exurbs of a cold northern city had worse connection problems than I did.  

I’m very happy I paid for it and I will have no problem justifying charging the firm for the expense.

Good luck.

that is awesome, we had a similar experience, but unfortunately my husband can't charge his company for the expense 😕 

2 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Looks like that's a total price for both to be upgraded. New packages come with minutes for guests 1&2. This upgrades both guests.

I'll have to try again later because it will not let me add it to my cart right now for some reason 

Let me see if I can help solve this puzzle on those crazy WiFi pricing bundles ... 

** shof515 booked a 8 day cruise under the old, grandfathered WiFi offers under Free At Seas - issued 250 free minutes to passenger #1.  The basic unlimited WiFi is $30 per day x 8 = $240, less a $125 trade-up value and credited = balance is about $110 (rounded up to nearest dollar for simplicity) 

** aubreyc1988 "recently" booked a 7 day cruise (around/after Jan 18th) under the new WiFi offers under Free At Seas - changes made - and, pax #1 and pax #2 each get 150 free minutes (for a total of 300 minutes, except for those sailing solo ... it is a "better" deal with 300 free airtime minutes instead of 250 minutes, NOT necessary.  To upgrade, that 150 free minutes get a $100 (I believe, read it here somewhere a short while ago) trade-up value for passenger #1's free allowance - thus, $30 per day for unlimited basic WiFi x 7 = $210 for 7 days, less a $100 credit in value = $110 as the balance due ****

Under the old scheme, $30 p/d x 7 = $210 less a $125 credit as valued for 250 minutes = $85 as the balance due for doing the upgrade, to register as many devices as one like, with one active connection at any given time ... 

Going forward, each person get more airtime to use, but when it comes to upgrade to unlimited - end up being charged extra and paying more.  That's NCL's math & accounting, for your convenience, of course. *** $110 is per person but in finer prints, to upgrade guests #1 AND #2 - that means, $110 x 2 or $220 ?? but will that be for two active connections at any given time, or, is it only one connection - and, why isn't the 2nd. guest's 150 airtime minutes being credited with another $100 in value ??   Sorry, cannot answer that - I am afraid.  

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile over at Princess without booking a bundled rate (Princess plus) you can purchase an unlimited WiFi package that supports streaming for $9.99/day for one device …..  NCL’s internet pricing is truly a cash grab, especially after giving “more” internet, spreading it over two guest and then requiring both guests to pay for an upgrade if they want an unlimited plan, and charging even more to support streaming ….

So for an 8 day for 2 people a cruise on NCL to upgrade to streaming from the “free” minutes to streaming is $310.  Comparable price to purchase on Princess would be $160, about 1/2 the price.

Additionally if you book Princess Plus you get drink package (which includes specialty coffees/teas and bottled water), gratuities and WiFi for ALL guests in the cabin with no service fees charged on the value of the beverage package. 

Im not trying to bash NCL, they have a great onboard product, but it does pay to compare pricing to other lines

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I'll have to try again later because it will not let me add it to my cart right now for some reason 

im curious if you can book for just one person. i did want 2 people upgraded but i dont remember the option for just one

gotta say royal's internet at 12  a day is quite the bargain. and free if you get a suite...ncl should do that!

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

im curious if you can book for just one person. i did want 2 people upgraded but i dont remember the option for just one

gotta say royal's internet at 12  a day is quite the bargain. and free if you get a suite...ncl should do that!

still won't let me add it to cart,  but I just booked yesterday so might have to wait another day or so 

16 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

sorry but some of us have to work on vacation, so it's not always ideal but necessary evil of life. 

I thought I was like that for work too until I realize how much the company cared less about employees. Knew things were coming to an end about 2-years before being let go. Decided then I would not feel like a slave to a company. I grew up being taught loyalty to your employer. It took 20 years to realize it was not a two-way street. Given a project with an estimated cost of $10M on a 1-year schedule, then Exec saying no you have $100,000 budget on a 6-month schedule. Spent all 6-months knowing it can't be done, looking for jobs, and getting laid off when it couldn't be delivered. Took the severance and started a month later at a place that respects and appreciates employees.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Meanwhile over at Princess without booking a bundled rate (Princess plus) you can purchase an unlimited WiFi package that supports streaming for $9.99/day for one device …..  NCL’s internet pricing is truly a cash grab, especially after giving “more” internet, spreading it over two guest and then requiring both guests to pay for an upgrade if they want an unlimited plan, and charging even more to support streaming ….

Celebrity is giving free Wifi for two, a truly free basic drink package (cheap to upgrade), and including tips. NCL needs to step it up

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I thought I was like that for work too until I realize how much the company cared less about employees. Knew things were coming to an end about 2-years before being let go. Decided then I would not feel like a slave to a company. I grew up being taught loyalty to your employer. It took 20 years to realize it was not a two-way street. Given a project with an estimated cost of $10M on a 1-year schedule, then Exec saying no you have $100,000 budget on a 6-month schedule. Spent all 6-months knowing it can't be done, looking for jobs, and getting laid off when it couldn't be delivered. Took the severance and started a month later at a place that respects and appreciates employees.

While I am glad for you, you have to understand that some of us simply don't have that luxury of just taking the severance and finding another month later. 

All I am saying is, don't judge too harshly the people who have to work a bit while on vacation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Celebrity is giving free Wifi for two, a truly free basic drink package (cheap to upgrade), and including tips. NCL needs to step it up

Just compared Celebrity against my Cruise in a week and C was $4k, NCL was $2500 with unlimited wifi and then add $350 for tips.

Under $3K verse $4K and that was the cheapest one!

53 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Just compared Celebrity against my Cruise in a week and C was $4k, NCL was $2500 with unlimited wifi and then add $350 for tips.

Under $3K verse $4K and that was the cheapest one!

I was looking for next Feb. Aft balcony on Prima is at $5,600. Aft on Dawn $4,700. Regular bal on Bliss $3,400. Got an Aft balcony on their newest ship Beyond for $3,700. Add the open bar tips, included tips and WiFi to that, and I think it's a pretty good deal.

Week out comparison doesn't really  give you a good picture.

Edited by Hutcha
  • Like 1