PCR Testing done?

NSnewcruiser

Sounds like PCR test is on it's way out - but that does not mean an antigen test won't be required (at least it's cheaper and faster?) - also wondering if they will do away with some/all of the random testing after getting off flights in Canada?

9 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Sounds like PCR test is on it's way out - but that does not mean an antigen test won't be required (at least it's cheaper and faster?) - also wondering if they will do away with some/all of the random testing after getting off flights in Canada?

It may be faster however, it wont be cheap.  Those companies providing the testing will just increase the Antigen Test cost to absorb there lost in the PCR Test.  The inconvenience and hassle of getting tested will still remain the same.  My opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

The inconvenience and hassle of getting tested will still remain the same. Plus, you maybe tested again upon arrival (random testing).  Trusting there more news on this next week.  I was hoping to see "no testing" at all prior to your flight back to Canada. Its somewhat good news (no PCR) for me plus I'm retired so I don't really care about the random testing however, people that are still working or visiting will be effected and will care. And furthermore, there a person on the other thread and he/she is not from Canada and they are flying into Vancouver for a cruise.  There concern is they may be selected for random testing and needs to be quarantine until they received there tests result and will most likely miss there cruise.  Trusting the government will address this also.

Edited by DHP1

50 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

The inconvenience and hassle of getting tested will still remain the same. Plus, you maybe tested again upon arrival (random testing).  Trusting there more news on this next week.  I was hoping to see "no testing" at all prior to your flight back to Canada. Its somewhat good news (no PCR) for me plus I'm retired so I don't really care about the random testing however, people that are still working or visiting will be effected and will care. And furthermore, there a person on the other thread and he/she is not from Canada and they are flying into Vancouver for a cruise.  There concern is they may be selected for random testing and needs to be quarantine until they received there tests result and will most likely miss there cruise.  Trusting the government will address this also.

The wording in the CTV article is a bit fuzzy, but seems encouraging:

Currently, any person who travels outside the country must provide proof of a negative molecular test, such as a PCR test, prior to returning to Canada. The test must be taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure on a flight or arrival at a land border.

Ottawa is set to remove those requirements at the end of the month, CTV News has confirmed. However, Canadians will still need a negative antigen test upon arrival.

Exactly what that last statement means is quite important. Does it imply that no test is required BEFORE returning home, only upon arrival? And how would they require an Antigen test of all returning travellers, both Canadians and non-Canadians?  Random sampling at the border or required testing within x hours of returning perhaps? Not having to deal with the aggravation of getting tested immediately post-cruise would be great.

On the other hand, if this is just a case of poor wording on the part of a CTV writer, and the only change will be swapping a PCR test with an Antigen test, then we're no farther ahead and leaving the country will still be as onerous and risky as it is now. Perhaps even more so, with the massive loosening of rules in the great republic to the south and the inevitable rise in cases, increasing the risk of testing positive and preventing your return home. If I'm going to test positive, I'd rather do it on THIS side of the border, at home

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

...There concern is they may be selected for random testing and needs to be quarantine until they received there tests result and will most likely miss there cruise.  Trusting the government will address this also.

People selected for arrival testing are allowed to proceed to their final destination before and regardless of test results.

Given current turnaround, it's likely test results would not be known before ship departure.

31 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

If I'm going to test positive, I'd rather do it on THIS side of the border, at home

So you'd be OK with placing  those around you on the plane at risk, or possibly infecting them, too. Well alrighty then.

26 minutes ago, mom says said:

So you'd be OK with placing  those around you on the plane at risk, or possibly infecting them, too. Well alrighty then.

I don't understand. If the testing requirements to return to Canada were removed, are you saying we should all test ourselves anyway, even though it's not required?

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I don't understand. If the testing requirements to return to Canada were removed, are you saying we should all test ourselves anyway, even though it's not required?

I did not say that. Nor has the govt said anything officially about what the new entry protocols will be. People seem to be jumping to conclusions based on little actual facts right now. However, if any testing is going to be done, I would rather it be before getting on a plane, not after getting off of one, for the safety of the passengers and crew. The double testing of fully vaccinated travellers under the current protocol has never made sense to me. JMO.

• Like 2

This is not an exact science unfortunately. In BC we cant access rapid tests at the moment and even if we did, the results are not registered with the health authority. The rapid tests in the UK have a QR code for submitting results. The system states that you do not require a PCR test if you have tested positive between 11 to 180 days. But how does one represent that result? Then a PCR could show a positive result 30 days or more after your home rapid test. Whoever put these rules in place needs to rethink this.i say go the way of the UK and have a test within 2 days of arrival for Canadians. Foreign travellers maybe a pre departure antigen test. They are free anyway in most countries.

9 hours ago, mom says said:

I did not say that. Nor has the govt said anything officially about what the new entry protocols will be. People seem to be jumping to conclusions based on little actual facts right now. However, if any testing is going to be done, I would rather it be before getting on a plane, not after getting off of one, for the safety of the passengers and crew. The double testing of fully vaccinated travellers under the current protocol has never made sense to me. JMO.

FWIW, I didn't say I would knowingly get on an airplane COVID positive, and would never do so.

10 minutes ago, julzcruizes said:

Just watching lunch news and supposedly an announcement is coming for this at 1 pm today so we shall see 🤞

Yes breaking news!

Will need antigen test for fully vaccinated travellers and still random PCR tests at the borders, presumably to check for variants.  Announcement 10am for BC.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 12:05 AM, mom says said:

One can fly domestically in Canada with no tests, and therefore I fail to see any benefit with testing for international travel.

In Canada you must be vaccinated to fly in or out of the country which makes perfect sense.  So stop with the testing nonsense.

If you are fully vaccinated no need for tests period.  

• Like 2

Just now, maryann2 said:

Yes breaking news!

Will need antigen test for fully vaccinated travellers and still random PCR tests at the borders, presumably to check for variants.  Announcement 10am for BC.

It is breaking news, however does nothing to change what one must do to cruise if you have to fly home from your departure port.

Time to end all testing for vaccinated travelers period.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, truckswain said:

It is breaking news, however does nothing to change what one must do to cruise if you have to fly home from your departure port.

I'll still take antigen test over PCR any day. Much cheaper. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Agreed, but they're taking political baby steps here as expected.  Will greatly reduce costs, result wait times, and make a lot of people/families happy. 

• Like 2