PCR Testing done?

NSnewcruiser

. Antigen Tests in  order to test positive have to be taken during the sweet spot time. Where I’m at in Germany we can get these taken everywhere. These are the official German proctored ones. I test positive on Monday it’s a good chance I’ll test negative on Tuesday or maybe even Monday evening. Who’s gonna know? I’m referring to the 11 Day rule. Many countries don’t even track who is testing positive for antigen tests. So just get your negative tests a day or two later and head home. Maybe that  positive was a false positive? 

My kids get tested in school and they have two brands. Sometimes the kids will be positive with one for some reason my daughter saying this is some weird fluke and so then the teacher will test with the other brand that would be negative and then they stay

Edited by mousefan73

11 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Since I already purchased the Switch PCR test, I plan on still taking that test while on the ship, between 48-72 hours prior to my flight back to Canada.

Did you purchase the Switch Health COVID-19 RT-PCR Collection Kit or the COVID-19 RT-LAMP Test Kit? While the LAMP test kit can be used aboard ship, the PCR collection kit can only be used within Canada. As the name suggests, the latter is only a collection kit, not a test kit, and your sample must be packaged and shipped by courier to Switch Health for analysis.

1 hour ago, Welly9 said:

Many havent paid attention to the wording - PCR testing dropped for 'Fully Vaxxed' Travelers.

Wait till they move the posts on this one! That's what our lovely Liberal Govt enjoy doing! IMHO

What exactly are suggesting will happen?

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

What exactly are suggesting will happen?

What is Fully Vaxxed mean??? The booster is in play, in some parts of Canada and elsewhere a 2nd booster is in play! So thats what - 3 to 4 jabs at this point!  So from a basic understanding of the meaning - right now we assume two jabs is Fully vaxxed, or is it? When will they add the label 'booster' to the meaning of Fully Vaxxed!? 

So hence why I say lose the testing  for all travel. Its should be common sense if one is ill, of any magnitude you stay home or take care of yourself! 

It all comes back to - A healthy Society doesnt make money for the big Pharmas and or Govt! IMHO

4 minutes ago, Welly9 said:

What is Fully Vaxxed mean??? The booster is in play, in some parts of Canada and elsewhere a 2nd booster is in play! So thats what - 3 to 4 jabs at this point!  So from a basic understanding of the meaning - right now we assume two jabs is Fully vaxxed, or is it? When will they add the label 'booster' to the meaning of Fully Vaxxed!? 

So hence why I say lose the testing  for all travel. Its should be common sense if one is ill, of any magnitude you stay home or take care of yourself! 

It all comes back to - A healthy Society doesnt make money for the big Pharmas and or Govt! IMHO

Current definition of fully vaccinated traveller - no mention or requirement of boosters at this time:

• This means you have received:
    • the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty, Moderna Spikevax, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/Covishield, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson, Bharat Biotech Covaxin, Sinopharm BIBP and Sinovac/CoronaVac/PiCoVacc) 
    •  

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Did you purchase the Switch Health COVID-19 RT-PCR Collection Kit or the COVID-19 RT-LAMP Test Kit? While the LAMP test kit can be used aboard ship, the PCR collection kit can only be used within Canada. As the name suggests, the latter is only a collection kit, not a test kit, and your sample must be packaged and shipped by courier to Switch Health for analysis.

I got the LAMP test from Switch!

6 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Current definition of fully vaccinated traveller - no mention or requirement of boosters at this time:

• This means you have received:
    • the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty, Moderna Spikevax, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/Covishield, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson, Bharat Biotech Covaxin, Sinopharm BIBP and Sinovac/CoronaVac/PiCoVacc) 
    •  

I agree, and exactly - At this time!? lol 

41 minutes ago, Welly9 said:

I agree, and exactly - At this time!? lol 

Awww. Are we afraid of a booster shot?  My 10 year old DGS actually asked his mom to book his third shot asap once he was eligible. I would hope that the 3rd shot will be part of the "fully vaxxed" criteria as soon as all the provinces are in agreement. The feds can't mandate it until then.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mom says said:

Awww. Are we afraid of a booster shot? 

The CC member you are directing this at has returned from a cruise, as they reported upon it here on the Canadian discussion section.  They would have already been vaccinated, with a least two doses to sail. Who knows, maybe they have had their booster too.  They just questioned how many doses should mean that they are fully vaccinated which can be considered a fair question.  

Some DRs on the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table have questioned the same thing, as cases and rates of hospitalization have dropped they are saying it’s time for a changed approach.

49 minutes ago, mom says said:

My 10 year old DGS actually asked his mom to book his third shot asap once he was eligible. I would hope that the 3rd shot will be part of the "fully vaxxed" criteria as soon as all the provinces are in agreement. The feds can't mandate it until then.

My wife, and myself are doubled and boosted as soon as it was available. Our son is finally eligible this Friday for his booster.  He will be getting it ASAP, as he is active in sports and school.

I am personally fine with 2 doses being classified as double dosed.  You will never get every province  to qualify that three doses is to be fully vaccinated. I am OK with this because where we are today VS a year ago, in relation to Covid, is a much different and better place.  

• Like 2

If I remember correctly the ArriveCan app only uses 2 shots as fully vaccinated.  Probably boils down to wording.  Fully vaxxed is 2 shots, 3rd shot is the booster.

Edited by ALD18
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Awww. Are we afraid of a booster shot?  My 10 year old DGS actually asked his mom to book his third shot asap once he was eligible. I would hope that the 3rd shot will be part of the "fully vaxxed" criteria as soon as all the provinces are in agreement. The feds can't mandate it until then.

lol, ok I will just say this - you do you and Ill do me, just roll your sleeve up every time they suggest lol

"Its not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters"

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Can someone tell me if I am understanding correctly, and if this plan seems reasonable:

Since I already purchased the Switch PCR test, I plan on still taking that test while on the ship, between 48-72 hours prior to my flight back to Canada.

If PCR test is negative, I'm good to fly using the test result.

If PCR test is positive, I inform ship - I would assume (?) they would want to do their own test to confirm? If their test is PCR and negative, I'm good to travel with THAT result? If their test is antigen and negative, I couldn't use it to travel as it's outside of 24 hours...BUT if I disembark and then take an antigen test (we fly day of disembark) and that is negative, I could use it to fly?

Am I missing something? I could theoretically just keep testing until negative? 

When you test positive, GOC regulations require you to isolate for 10 days before entering Canada. or risk facing a fine.  A subsequent negative test before the end of that 10-day period doesn't negate or shorten the required period of isolation:

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result taken less than 10 calendar days before your planned entry or flight to Canada is not valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 10 calendar days before arriving will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive test result. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the first day you could use it
  • January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water
  • if your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests
  • Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

So to answer your question, theoretically you could just keep testing until you achieved a negative result, but you would be in breach of Canadian regulations if you attempted to use it to enter in less than 10 days following the positive result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So to answer your question, theoretically you could just keep testing until you achieved a negative result, but you would be in breach of Canadian regulations if you attempted to use it to enter in less than 10 days following the positive result

And yet people have been returning to Canada with a negative test result after only 5 days all winter. Have a look at the TA Cuba forum. I also spoke with 2 Canadians ( not traveling together) who got their negative result after 5 days in quarantine at their resort and who flew back home with the full assistance if their airline resort rep. All they needed to show was that negative test result.

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When you test positive, GOC regulations require you to isolate for 10 days before entering Canada. or risk facing a fine.  A subsequent negative test before the end of that 10-day period doesn't negate or shorten the required period of isolation:

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result taken less than 10 calendar days before your planned entry or flight to Canada is not valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 10 calendar days before arriving will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive test result. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the first day you could use it
  • January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water
  • if your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests
  • Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

So to answer your question, theoretically you could just keep testing until you achieved a negative result, but you would be in breach of Canadian regulations if you attempted to use it to enter in less than 10 days following the positive result.

I knew I must have been missing something...technically, how would they know? Not that I would risk doing it, but I'm sure others would....

48 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

..So to answer your question, theoretically you could just keep testing until you achieved a negative result, but you would be in breach of Canadian regulations if you attempted to use it to enter in less than 10 days following the positive result.

That is one interpretation (and probably the correct one), but if you tested Positive on day 0 and negative on day 6 then you could say the negative was your "entry test" and was therefore valid and the bottom section would not apply.  I think the section you are referring to is for if  you only have one test (the day 0 test).

35 minutes ago, mom says said:

And yet people have been returning to Canada with a negative test result after only 5 days all winter. Have a look at the TA Cuba forum. I also spoke with 2 Canadians ( not traveling together) who got their negative result after 5 days in quarantine at their resort and who flew back home with the full assistance if their airline resort rep. All they needed to show was that negative test result.

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

I knew I must have been missing something...technically, how would they know? Not that I would risk doing it, but I'm sure others would....

I've no doubt that people don't follow the entry rules, just as I've no doubt that some people speed when driving or <<gasp>> cheat on their income tax. I'm simply pointing out what the regulations are.

• Like 2

While I agree with playing by the rules, some Provinces like BC put people at a disadvantage because they are not allowing testing. If you buy a rapid test, it is not eligible as a legitimate test. So what does one do when the virus is still potentially in the system up to 90 days after rapid testing? If anyone has a suggestion please advise as the playing field is not equal.

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've no doubt that people don't follow the entry rules, just as I've no doubt that some people speed when driving or <<gasp>> cheat on their income tax. I'm simply pointing out what the regulations are.

I went through the wizard and put I had a positive test (by land - the air one is different).  This clearly says if you test positive then you can have a negative test OR your positive test is 11 days old...

Find out if you can travel to Canada - Citizen with symptoms - By land or sea

You indicated that you are:

• a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • showing signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering by land or water

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until at least 10 calendar days have passed after your positive test result. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• For example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, the first day you could use it for entry into Canada by land or water would be January 11. If you’re flying, the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada would be January 11.

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR,
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.
    • For example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, the first day you could use it for entry into Canada by land or water would be January 11. If you’re flying, the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada would be January 11.
Edited by CKCruising

21 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

I went through the wizard and put I had a positive test (by land - the air one is different).  This clearly says if you test positive then you can have a negative test OR your positive test is 11 days old...

Find out if you can travel to Canada - Citizen with symptoms - By land or sea

You indicated that you are:

• a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • showing signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering by land or water

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until at least 10 calendar days have passed after your positive test result. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR,
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

As I've noted previously, the policies as reflected in the trave.gc.ca website are very poorly presented and are, at times, contradictory. What you have quoted and what I quoted in post #114 definitely appear to be at odds with one another. Additionally, the phrase "we recommend postponing..." really doesn't belong in a policy, as the natural question is "what if I don't follow the recommendation?"  That is not addressed at all on the website.

With any luck, with the policy revisions that will be forthcoming by the end of the month, there will be some attempt clean things up at the same time.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With any luck, with the policy revisions that will be forthcoming by the end of the month, there will be some attempt clean things up at the same time

Forlorn hope I suspect. Given the subject complexity, while previous inconsistencies may be clarified undoubtedly new contradictions will be introduced.

• Like 1