English woman confused over Covid test

georgegirl

We will be flying from London on Friday 11March to Memphis arriving close to midnight. We will be boarding American Queen on Monday 14th. Our trip has been put back couple of times due to pandemic. Originally we were supposed to be getting complimentary Covid test at hotel. It seems now that we need to get PCR test no more than 2 days before. Anyone boarded recently that can confirm which is correct please?

I have tried to find somewhere that does rapid pcr test which is a nightmare. Either drive through (we don’t drive) or they cost $180

plus. We will be staying at Peabody Hotel 

mid anyone can advise please 

We have exactly the same issue in May, we arrive during the Thursday so too early to use any of the airport based testing. I wasn’t aware AQSC had removed their help a little disappointed at that. So following 

• Like 1

I checked Walgreens and CVS websites to see what they offered for PCR testing.  CVS said you could get a test at their store 2115 Union Avenue.  This is about 3.5 miles from the Peabody; Bus #1 (1$pp) would go directly between the two.

CVS says this is a "drive-through test, vehicle recommended."  So maybe it's possible to walk in. There seemed to be a generous supply of appointments available, including Saturdays.

They ask a series of questions regarding reasons for getting the test.  If you answer "No" to all the questions, they say "sorry, not eligible for free test" but offer an option to pay in advance via CC.  The cost is $139.

For most of the questions, "No" would be the necessary answer for most of us, but there are two that seem rather open-ended:

1) Are you seeking a test because of high transmission rates and difficulty maintaining recommended  social distancing? Or,

2) Were you at a place where social distancing was not possible?

If you can answer "Yes" to either of these, the test is free.  Seems to me that being in an airplane for many hours would certainly meet the social distancing aspect.

Both Walgreens and CVS say results can be viewed on an account you would have already set up, or a text message will send a secure link to access the results.  I'm ignorant about how this works (don't even have a smartphone), but I'm guessing since you have to get a test one day before departing the UK, you'd be able to figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps contact American Queen and ask who they would suggest. There must be several guests affected. 
The thought of giving up planned sightseeing and somehow managing on a local bus doesn’t enthral me !

I've got the same problem with an Alaska cruise from Sitka. I will be flying to Sitka two days before embarkation, so I would need the test in Sitka. This is completely unreasonable of American Queen Voyages to expect their passengers to find tests at their embarkation ports instead of arranging it for us.

I'm also not happy that American Queen Voyages did not notify me of the major change in requirements for boarding. They just posted it in the fine print on their website, which I don't read for updates every day. The only reason I knew to look at their website was because of this post. It's still in the $250 penalty period, so I may end up cancelling the cruise before the start of the 25% penalty period.

• Like 1

This is alarming. I do see that on the website under the Health and Safety tab at the top of the page that

• Guests must bring a negative PCR test completed within 2 days of embarkation.

We sail 3/26/22 on the American Countess leaving from New Orleans.  When I spoke with a AQSC rep on the phone about 3 weeks ago she told me that we would be tested the day of hotel check-in which is 1 day before embarkation.  She also said to be sure an make an appointment as soon as we get our paper work which would be sent 30 days prior to our sailing.  I assumed the covid test was an antigen test since it's only 1 day before, but since I didn't ask, I don't know for sure.  

I've got another phone call to make!

I do not travel until May but was completely unaware of the change to AQSC requirements re testing.  They had previously communicated that they managed the testing at embarkation (which is the industry norm). This change affects the travel logistics of many, I hope the cruise line reviews their policy.

I’m annoyed at the very least I’m going to have to lose at least one museum or attraction to somehow fit this test in - and how crazy to heighten my personal risk using a public bus to go and find a test in a strange city.  (Not a criticism of Daves advice more a reflection on what AQSC seems to want). 
Thanks to Georgegirl for alerting us. 

I found this on page 2 of my Guest Invoice which makes me hopeful that the lady on the phone AQSC gave me good information..  

COVID-19 Testing: Guests will check-in at the pre-cruise hotel stay on the day before embarkation. At this time, all guests will complete a health questionnaire and
participate in a COVID-19 test.

On the Ticket Contract it states this in regards to testing: 

1. CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE
a. Pre-Embarkation
Prior to embarkation, ALL GUESTS MUST COMPLETE A
CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE AND CONSENT
TO COVID-19 TESTING, which is considered part of the embarkation
process. Any Guest who (i) answers “yes” to any of the health questionnaire
questions regarding symptoms of or exposure to COVID-19 or (ii) receives
a positive test result, will be denied embarkation and will be directed to
nearby medical facilities for further voluntary medical evaluation, testing or
treatment if necessary. For Your peace of mind and to limit the likelihood
of quarantining or being treated away from home, We strongly recommend
that You and Your travel partner participate in COVID-19 testing within
five days of the scheduled embarkation date.

I'm not opposed to testing, it just needs to be convenient for us to do so with such a short turnaround.  In our area it's taking 3-4 days to get PCR test results.   

Edited by blctlc

That is the same info as on my 202- rebook paperwork but their website which was updated January 2022 says you have to get the tests. 
Im not against testing I’m just against having to take time out of Memphis sightseeing to go a distance to get a test. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blctlc said:

When I spoke with a AQSC rep on the phone about 3 weeks ago she told me that we would be tested the day of hotel check-in which is 1 day before embarkation.

I've got another phone call to make!

53 minutes ago, blctlc said:

I found this on page 2 of my Guest Invoice which makes me hopeful that the lady on the phone AQSC gave me good information.  

Re the lady on the phone giving you good information -- you mean the phone call 3 weeks ago or did you call them again recently?  If recently, what was it the rep said...PCR 2 days prior, or AQV-administered test day before?

10 minutes ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Re the lady on the phone giving you good information -- you mean the phone call 3 weeks ago or did you call them again recently?  If recently, what was it the rep said...PCR 2 days prior, or AQV-administered test day before?

I have not made a second call yet to AQSC, but will do so Monday.  I did send an email through their website last night asking for clarification of the testing requirement.  I'm hoping for a written response, and will share the responses to both the phone call and email response, once received.    

• Thanks 2

I contacted AQSC today and was told that as of 2022, passengers ARE required to provide a negative PCR test completed within 2 days of embarkation and that they are not providing this testing for the passengers.  I asked what day I would need to take the test in order to make the 2 day period and was told Saturday. When I asked if they had any issues with passengers not receiving their results in time he said they have had this problem and have a contingency if you show that you have made the attempt to have it done in the 2 day period.  He did not elaborate but said they would make every attempt to assist a passenger with being able to board.  

I asked about CVS and Walgreens testing in the NOLA area and was told that their test results do not usually  get  back in time and was told that a Rapid PCR would probably be my best bet. He gave me a recommendation for Gretna Medical in NOLA, which he said is about 6 miles from the hotel. https://www.gretnamedical.com/same-day-covid-testing-new-orleans  

I started searching for Rapid Test locations in my area and found that our airport has testing at $150 per person; other clinic and pharmacy locations ranged from $150 to $200+.   

Not great news, but I hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1

American Queen haven’t got back to me on Facebook messenger even though I have begged for help. Shocking customer service. Iglu who we booked through suggested CVS but can’t have access to their website from UK. I contacted AQ London office and spoke to a gentleman who actually understood my concerns and is going to try and sort it. I have no problems getting a test but helping customers would be helpful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgegirl said:

American Queen haven’t got back to me on Facebook messenger even though I have begged for help. Shocking customer service. Iglu who we booked through suggested CVS but can’t have access to their website from UK. I contacted AQ London office and spoke to a gentleman who actually understood my concerns and is going to try and sort it. I have no problems getting a test but helping customers would be helpful 

I agree, this change and how it’s being handled is shocking and shows no understanding of the impact on guests particularly those travelling from overseas.  Sorry but wandering six miles in a strange city is a no no for us.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:26 AM, uktog said:

I’m annoyed at the very least I’m going to have to lose at least one museum or attraction to somehow fit this test in - and how crazy to heighten my personal risk using a public bus to go and find a test in a strange city. 

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Sorry but wandering six miles in a strange city is a no no for us.

Just a thought:  Would a taxi possibly work?  And, assuming you're taking a taxi from the MEM airport to the Peabody, perhaps your time frame occurs within the normal times for appointments.  Distances from MEM to downtown are about the same whether taxi goes past drug store or not.  Of course, there would be extra $$ wait time -- Memphis taxis charge $20/hour wait time, but test should only take 15 min.

(BTW, I understand your concern about the bus.  After spending 10 or 15 hours in crowded Covid-high-risk airplanes and airports, who would want to add another half-hour on public transit?)  

Edited by DaveinCharlotte

16 minutes ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Just a thought:  Would a taxi possibly work?  And, assuming you're taking a taxi from the MEM airport to the Peabody, perhaps your time frame occurs within the normal times for appointments.  Distances from MEM to downtown are about the same whether taxi goes past drug store or not.  Of course, there would be extra $$ wait time -- Memphis taxis charge $20/hour wait time, but test should only take 15 min.

(BTW, I understand your concern about the bus.  After spending 10 or 15 hours in crowded Covid-high-risk airplanes and airports, who would want to add another half-hour on public transit?)  

Thanks. Good idea to use taxis certainly wouldn’t use a bus. Unfortunately we come in too early to meet the 72 hour rule. We will use a taxi in on arrival but would need to change our  Saturday plans to fit in the test. 
It’s clearly a cost cutting measure by AQSC. Let’s hope they change their tune as it’s going to add several hundred $ to our trip and mean we have to cut out one of our planned Memphis activities otherwise 

15 hours ago, blctlc said:

I asked what day I would need to take the test in order to make the 2 day period and was told Saturday. When I asked if they had any issues with passengers not receiving their results in time he said they have had this problem and have a contingency if you show that you have made the attempt to have it done in the 2 day period.

Thank you bictic, for making the call and reporting back.  What you asked was exactly what I was wondering about.  AQV's response seems to ring true...surely many results will not come back in time or in the right format.

On 2/14/2022 at 11:01 PM, ericosmith said:

According to Walgreens and CVS they offer free test with results in less than 24 hours at many locations.  My understanding is that the rapid molecular test is processed at the store.  

In the US covid tests are not covered by insurance or  free if being used to verify that you are Covid free for personal travel. They are covered by insurance or free under certain limiting circumstances such as possible contact with a known covid carrier or signs/symptoms of being infected present, etc.

• Like 1

Here is the first part of the CVS questionnaire for a Covid test:

1014129603_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_29_55AM.thumb.png.49e6f5b625f762a0ceb1cdfe79310148.png

Notice that the heading is "Travel and exposure" – because until recently there was a 5th question asking if you were seeking the test prior to travel.  This has been removed, but IMHO anyone needing a test prior to travel can honestly check the first box because omicron has high transmission rates and the forthcoming travel will involve difficulty maintaining social distancing.  [I'm sure others will disagree with this reasoning, so everyone must make their own decision.]

12 hours ago, georgegirl said:

Finally. Booked our test with Zupmed on the Saturday morning at 9am so at least we won’t lose any time with what we have planned. You can go to airport or have location on Poplar Ave Memphis. Pay when you get there. 

Good luck. Do come back and tell us how it goes.  I want to get it right so chancing my arm at CVS is an absolute no no.  I think AQSC have overlooked the fact that in addition to timing challenges international guests have no option to use medical insurance unlike some others (ok not all but some). I hope lots of people give them feedback on the unfairness of their cheapskate policy.