Retreat Lounge vs. Michael’s Club

asnaleah

17 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We liked it best when they came around with the tea cart in the afternoon.

So did I.  It was nice to be able to chat with your butler a bit.  And a plus that you did not have to get dressed to go to the lounge to get some tidbits.  To me, late afternoon is R&R time and getting ready for dinner time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So did I.  It was nice to be able to chat with your butler a bit.  And a plus that you did not have to get dressed to go to the lounge to get some tidbits.  To me, late afternoon is R&R time and getting ready for dinner time.

We are exactly the same. Our first conversation with our butler every cruise now is that we want a small afternoon tea (mini sandwiches and mini cakes) delivering daily at 4.30…We never have any problems getting a delivery, just with the word small….

• Like 1

We were in the PH on Edge a few months ago and our PRH discouraged us from requesting afternoon snacks saying that there was a set up in the Retreat Lounge. We really didn't mind because we wanted to enjoy lunch and dinner and a midday snack would have been too much. As it was I could never finish dinner and only had a bite or 2 of dessert.  He made up for it in other ways by keeping our champagne supply well stocked and having a special meal prepared for us that was served in our suite.

12 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We were in the PH on Edge a few months ago and our PRH discouraged us from requesting afternoon snacks saying that there was a set up in the Retreat Lounge. We really didn't mind because we wanted to enjoy lunch and dinner and a midday snack would have been too much. As it was I could never finish dinner and only had a bite or 2 of dessert.  He made up for it in other ways by keeping our champagne supply well stocked and having a special meal prepared for us that was served in our suite.

that's unfortunate, though I wonder if the reason is because they have reduced the number of butlers on board?

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

that's unfortunate, though I wonder if the reason is because they have reduced the number of butlers on board?

No, I don't think so. I suspect if we had requested delivery of afternoon snacks we would have gotten them.  We had a small party and he did quite a set up, along with serving us an Indonesian meal that he suggested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Because we sail in a RS where I believe there is ample room for six to dine on any X ship.  And we have tried in large part to avoid ships where she has left her mark - hence our recent B2B on Constellation, and our upcoming cruise on Reflection.

Although some of her design shortcomings impact others greatly in ways that don't necessarily impact us, it's not that we don't have a bit of empathy, and will feel free to comment in support.  We haven't always sailed in RS comfort.

We will be on the Reflection in a Royal suite also in a couple of weeks- I am not sure if the royal suite on the edge class table is big enough for 6. Didn't sail in the royal suite on the edge.

Just now, CHEZMARYLOU said:

No, I don't think so. I suspect if we had requested delivery of afternoon snacks we would have gotten them.  We had a small party and he did quite a set up, along with serving us an Indonesian meal that he suggested.

We often had to ask NOT to have the afternoon goodies delivered since we were often down in the Retreat lounge around tea time.  We discovered that they were on 'automatic pilot', along with a whole host of other tasty items that kept magically appearing unless we cried 'Uncle'!

7 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think there is a balance between butlers (retreat hosts) offering advice and listening to requests. Over the years butlers have suggested many options which have enhanced our cruise experience.

However, there  is no way at 4/5pm we want to go to the Retreat Lounge. We are either resting after a shore excursion or reawakening from an afternoon nap…Perhaps it is being British (or just our cruise routine) but we do like a small afternoon tea in our suite.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

A butler (not necessarily ours) did appear daily with snacks at the same time we wanted our afternoon tea. It did take a couple of conversations last cruise before we actually got what we wanted. First day we got a large plate of (not afternoon tea) snacks, second day we got afternoon tea (large) plus large plate of snacks finally after third conversation we got exactly what we wanted.

Our philosophy for getting the most of butler/retreat host service is communication. In our experience butlers so want to please they often try to exceed what you ask for…Hence a large snack platter when you want 4 dinky sandwiches and 2 mini fruit tartlets…

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We will be on the Reflection in a Royal suite also in a couple of weeks- I am not sure if the royal suite on the edge class table is big enough for 6. Didn't sail in the royal suite on the edge.

S class RS tables are the best of the bunch.  The M class we've had are ovals, and since part of the available seating is a cushioned bench, not quite as practical. No problem for 2, but 6 is more of a challenge. 

Edit: no, Edge class definitely NOT.  It's just adequate as a 4 top, but only if you keep the plate count down!

Edited by canderson

When considering the price of a PH suite I am very surprised a butler (or PRH) would discourage the occupants from any request (although I am sure it happened).    If you request something and it is within their means to accommodate that request, that’s what they should do.  

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Most likely, wondering what day of the week and what time would you disembark?

It would be Monday, 3 October. The ship is scheduled to be back at port at 7:00 AM. We don't do self disembarkation but I could request early disembarkation tickets/time. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

It would be Monday, 3 October. The ship is scheduled to be back at port at 7:00 AM. We don't do self disembarkation but I could request early disembarkation tickets/time. 

If you are off the ship by 9-9:30 you will be fine even with traffic.  Moderate traffic day is maybe 15 minutes, it's a quick drive to the tunnel and you don't have to go on the expressway.  Even with traffic you are looking at 30 minutes.  One piece of advice if I may, don't call for Uber/Lyft, while I love them, on a cruise day taxis galore will be just outside waiting, ride-shares cannot do that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If you are off the ship by 9-9:30 you will be fine even with traffic.  Moderate traffic day is maybe 15 minutes, it's a quick drive to the tunnel and you don't have to go on the expressway.  Even with traffic you are looking at 30 minutes.  One piece of advice if I may, don't call for Uber/Lyft, while I love them, on a cruise day taxis galore will be just outside waiting, ride-shares cannot do that. 

Thanks and you answered my other question about taxis. 🥂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks and you answered my other question about taxis. 🥂

Oh and taxi can drop you off right at or very close to the entrance to your gate at Logan, ride shares cannot and it is a 10 minute walk then elevator ride to get to your gate, a royal PITA!

• Thanks 1