Retreat Lounge vs. Michael’s Club

asnaleah

I found the spruced up version of MC on Constellation sort of the perfect mix of the old and the new.   As you all know Connie didn't get the planned Revolution but they did make some updated before returning to service.  The Rendezvous lounge is pretty much updated to what I saw on the Summit and MC still had the dark paneling but had a light carpet and all the furniture was very light in color.  I think the chairs were the old Rendezvous but had all been reupholstered and were quite comfortable.  The piano was still there and they had someone in playing one night.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

My biggest objection to the new Retreat lounge, is that when you wanted to talk to the concierge, he or she was standing- and you couldn't sit either.  Didn't feel as confortable in the new design- Since it was over two years ago, perhaps as they have removed the big ugly rocking chairs from the sky suites now, they have added a more comfortable area for suite concierge's and guests.  We like "functional design".

We did not like the standing concierge either…A desk makes much more sense as long as the concierge circulates too and interacts with guests asking how their cruise is going….

Many guests don’t mention little niggles unless asked if everything is ok. Also new cruisers can be unfamiliar with the role of the concierge and the concierge initiating conversations can be useful….Comments such as ‘Just let me know if you need anything’ are nice to hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

My biggest objection to the new Retreat lounge, is that when you wanted to talk to the concierge, he or she was standing- and you couldn't sit either.  Didn't feel as confortable in the new design- Since it was over two years ago, perhaps as they have removed the big ugly rocking chairs from the sky suites now, they have added a more comfortable area for suite concierge's and guests.  We like "functional design".

On our October Apex cruise the suite concierge was at a two station podium as you describe.  The massive natural light and additional outside seating are the best features of the Apex Retreat Lounge.  

• Like 1

Haven't done an E class Retreat yet, hopefully coming up in a few weeks.

Have done Reflection and post-rev Equinox twice, once before Covid, once after.

I'm in the hate the crowded overstuffed furniture of Michaels group - much preferred Equinox, especially after they changed out some of the original, chic, but utterly unfunctional furniture.

Our Retreat concierges on E did circulate and talk to people quite a bit, so maybe that's another training change they have made as operations have evolved.

I hated the passed horsdoeuvres, sorry, they were soggy, occasionally, good, occasionally nasty, and you had to wait and wait for the butler to come around (this was late 2019, with a full ship). Equinox, post Covid, you went up to the little buffet, chose what you wanted  and the butler plated it for you. That was actually better, s/he could tell you what was in the little pastry/.

I think it matters, too , if you are a sit at the bar person - Michaels does have much more space for that, and I know some people really enjoy the interaction. We do too, but it didn't overcome the other shortcomings of Michaels for me.

The current ships that have converted the old existing Michael's Club (on both M- and S-Class) to the Retreat Lounge basically updated the décor and furnishings.  Some people are not a fan of these changes mostly due to comfort issues.  This is nothing at all like The Retreat on E-class ships which is a premium concept overall.  They are all called The Retreat but a huge difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

On our October Apex cruise the suite concierge was at a two station podium as you describe.  The massive natural light and additional outside seating are the best features of the Apex Retreat Lounge.  

Natural light is always good in my opinion….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

We did not like the standing concierge either…A desk makes much more sense as long as the concierge circulates too and interacts with guests asking how their cruise is going….

Many guests don’t mention little niggles unless asked if everything is ok. Also new cruisers can be unfamiliar with the role of the concierge and the concierge initiating conversations can be useful….Comments such as ‘Just let me know if you need anything’ are nice to hear.

I totally agree with you.
Unfortunately, we have noticed that since X installed the podiums, the Concierges do not circulate and engage in conversation with guests as they used to. And if more than one Concierge is on duty they seem to be preoccupied with their own private conversations when not assisting guests.

I recall the days when entering Michael's Club you were greeted by name. That's a thing of the past along with “let me know if you need anything.”

• Like 3

I really did not like the Edge suite class. The retreat was cold in look, no real bar, furniture was uncomfortable. Suite concierge was at a podium. When we had to talk to the suite concierge we were moved to a breakfast area. Seemed dark with metal chairs and tables. Luminae was loud, limited food choices. Reminded me of a Bistro, not nice dining. Retreat sun deck was lacking shade. I did like the Retreat sun deck bar. The lunch tables near the bar get wet when it rains, floor drain in the wrong spot. Staff had a broom to move the water to the drain.

We did cruise on Millie last Oct. We were in Aqua. I enjoyed the changes we saw on Millie. Oceanview was great. We will be in a suite in June on Millie. I did hope I like the changes to MC/Retreat. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Two pictures one from Edge in sky suite breakfast table March 2019. The other having breakfast in a sky suite on S class. IMG_20190306_094445935.thumb.jpg.6d3a46fc7aa4337232078e59318a9b03.jpg 

This made me laugh!

The brown folding table was X's subsequent answer to the problem of serving in suite breakfasts on the Edge Inaugural, where they only had the small round “table” on the right.

It's apparent management never had two people actually try to eat breakfast on either of those.

It was really “interesting” watching the Butlers' reactions when they delivered the trays in the mornings. 😁

39 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

This made me laugh!

The brown folding table was X's subsequent answer to the problem of serving in suite breakfasts on the Edge Inaugural, where they only had the small round “table” on the right.

It's apparent management never had two people actually try to eat breakfast on either of those.

It was really “interesting” watching the Butlers' reactions when they delivered the trays in the mornings. 😁

On the Apex there's a stone coffee table large enough for two to be seated on the couch and have breakfast. 

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

I really did not like the Edge suite class. The retreat was cold in look, no real bar, furniture was uncomfortable.

Why does one need to sit at a bar to have a drink? I Love the Retreat Lounge on the Apex PRECISELY because there's no bar. You sit on chairs and couches and have drinks and converse like at your living Room at home. It's quiet and civilized. We were able to meet people equally and have conversations, no need to be sitting at a bar to do that. If you want a bar, there's bars all over the ship. Why can't there be one place to drink and converse that's not a bar? 

12 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

This made me laugh!

Maybe this is a reach. Some time between Jan 2017 and Feb 2018 Celebrity added a Suite Manager, but removed 2 butlers from Millie. One butler from each side. Putting more work on the butlers. Celebrity comes out with the Edge fall 2018 and Celebrity seems to not want you in your suite or on your balcony. Just look at the Royal Suite balcony on Edge verses RS on Millie. Celebrity management wants you out of your suite/cabin. Edge Class have very few real balconies.  

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I think it matters, too , if you are a sit at the bar person - Michaels does have much more space for that, and I know some people really enjoy the interaction.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me and my wife. 

The Retreat Lounge might look better, but Michael's feels better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Why does one need to sit at a bar to have a drink? I Love the Retreat Lounge on the Apex PRECISELY because there's no bar. You sit on chairs and couches and have drinks and converse like at your living Room at home. It's quiet and civilized. We were able to meet people equally and have conversations, no need to be sitting at a bar to do that. If you want a bar, there's bars all over the ship. Why can't there be one place to drink and converse that's not a bar? 

If you want to sit at a place that's not a bar, those are all over the ship, too, even if they are next to a bar. You never need to sit at the bar. You can choose. Well, you can choose unless you're in the Retreat Lounge. 

Why does there need to be a place on the ship where one cannot choose? 

15 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Maybe this is a reach. Some time between Jan 2017 and Feb 2018 Celebrity added a Suite Manager, but removed 2 butlers from Millie. One butler from each side. Putting more work on the butlers. Celebrity comes out with the Edge fall 2018 and Celebrity seems to not want you in your suite or on your balcony. Just look at the Royal Suite balcony on Edge verses RS on Millie. Celebrity management wants you out of your suite/cabin. Edge Class have very few real balconies.  

It's not a reach. You hit the nail on the head. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

We still enjoyed the experience but felt that the designer had focused too much on how things looked rather than how practical and comfortable the furnishings were.

Design and furnishings are all subjective. That I understand, however, design should start with functional use of space…

You've just successfully encapsulated the entire problem with the Kelly Hoppen School of Design.  And unfortunately, it insinuates itself into far more spaces than just the Retreat lounges.  See below:

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

This made me laugh!

You can blame management only for turning loose a virgin to appoint the interior of a cruise ship.  Management surely knows better.  Another functionless Hoppen concept.  Since she had never sailed as a passenger, she had no idea that someone might actually want to eat en suite (to use the expression in a somewhat different manner than normal!) in anything smaller than a Royal Suite. 

27 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If you want to sit at a place that's not a bar, those are all over the ship, too, even if they are next to a bar. You never need to sit at the bar. You can choose. Well, you can choose unless you're in the Retreat Lounge. 

Why does there need to be a place on the ship where one cannot choose? 

Oh sure, like the lounge seating near the martini bar is quiet and civilized!

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, asnaleah said:

I like the overall lightness of the design. Some of the seating is a bit off for snacking. Also, I preferred it when the butlers passed hors d’oeuvres and afternoon tea. The buffet set up didn’t work for me. 

Some of the seating is a bit off for seating!

We were very pleased that while brightened up a bit in decor during the July '21 refresh, the lounge in Constellation retained much of its old charm and comfort at the same time, and that tidbits were still being brought around (not buffet) during afternoon 'tea' time.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

You can blame management only for turning loose a virgin to appoint the interior of a cruise ship.  Management surely knows better.  Another functionless Hoppen concept.  Since she had never sailed as a passenger, she had no idea that someone might actually want to eat en suite (to use the expression in a somewhat different manner than normal!) in anything smaller than a Royal Suite. 

Curious why you still sail Hoppen Cruise Lines?  Many other lines have lovely en suite set-ups to dine.  

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

It can be entertaining at times. 😁

totally agree, just like the buffet, but now that they serve there, they have taken that on-board entertainment away from me, talk about continued reduction in services.  😞

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Curious why you still sail Hoppen Cruise Lines?  Many other lines have lovely en suite set-ups to dine.  

Because we sail in a RS where I believe there is ample room for six to dine on any X ship.  And we have tried in large part to avoid ships where she has left her mark - hence our recent B2B on Constellation, and our upcoming cruise on Reflection.

Although some of her design shortcomings impact others greatly in ways that don't necessarily impact us, it's not that we don't have a bit of empathy, and will feel free to comment in support.  We haven't always sailed in RS comfort.