Ugh! What have I done! Odyssey upgrade is under the windjammer!!

dleahy4444

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yup me too.

When booking I take great care to pick a good location away from public locations, elevators, and white space.

Now I have to avoid the front of the ship too.  While on Anthem in November, I was right under the bridge facing forward and still hears the crew area laughter and music at 2am in the morning.  Got it stopped by calling but it came back again in 4 days.   oh well.  I feel the Royalup is enticing but buyer beware.

Yes, lesson learned… sort of. I gambled that there were so many others available at the time of the bid, that there was very little chance of getting either of the 2 available on the 13 floor. So, gambler’s remorse lol

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I was so excited when I received the email that my Royal Up bid on the Odyssey from a OV balcony to a OV with large balcony was accepted, until I saw the room assignment 13652, under the costal kitchen and windjammer areas. I’m an extremely light sleeper. How much of an issue will this be? Does anyone have any experience with this stateroom?

That cabin is primarily under the walkway. Coastal Kitchen is carpeted, so the noise should not be too bad. I do not think you will get much noice from the Windjammer. That is a long walkway from the exit of the windjammer to the elevators, and you are closer to the elevators. Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

In all seriousness, Apple has these special noise cancelling ear buds (not cheap) but from what I have heard they really work wonderfully blocking out noise.  Good luck!

Most noise cancelling only works against continuous noise.  Like wind or engine noise.

Processors are still not fast enough to handle transient noise.

Better would be good ear plugs and a white noise generator.

• Thanks 1

I think you will have zero issues with this cabin. It's only the hallway area near the elevators, not under the Windjammer/CK area. My recent Royal Up was the same cabin on deck 11 and we loved having the extra space on the balcony.

• Thanks 1

Dleahy4444~If you do decide to stay in this stateroom can you please let me know if there is a noise issue.  I’ll be cruising 2/26 the following week in room 13646.   It looks like a great location but I’m thinking that gray area on the ship map is probably the kitchen for El Loco & Coastal Kitchen.  May be looking for a downgrade too. Thank you and enjoy your trip!

48 minutes ago, loomabunch said:

Dleahy4444~If you do decide to stay in this stateroom can you please let me know if there is a noise issue.  I’ll be cruising 2/26 the following week in room 13646.   It looks like a great location but I’m thinking that gray area on the ship map is probably the kitchen for El Loco & Coastal Kitchen.  May be looking for a downgrade too. Thank you and enjoy your trip!

The gray area is the service kitchen for those two locations.  As I had said earlier in this thread, we stayed in JS 13640 on Anthem and had terrible noise at night when they were cleaning the kitchen.  The cabin numbers do not line up exactly between the two ships as there is a different configuration of cabins on the forward part of the hump.  Noise was fine most of the other times of day but not around midnight for about an hour.  The location is great but we would not book that cabin again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, loomabunch said:

I think I am going to try to change once on board. I called again and the representative I spoke to said the gray area was storage space, but then I found a review for the Odyssey on CC written by someone who stayed in my exact stateroom 13652 who said that there was a lot of noise from 4am to 5:30, prepping for the CK probably as they serve breakfast. Our Royal UP bid was low so if we lose that $ by downgrading to a regular OV balcony in a better location, it will be the price of a lesson learned.  Did you win it via Royal UP? If not maybe you can still change it if you call. 

Hi,

I just got off the Odyssey yesterday. We were in 13692.  It was awesome!!!! Our balcony was huge and we had no noise at all. I was so worried about being under the Windjammer and I never heard a sound.  It was a great location. We were able to just walk up 1 flight to the windjammer and main pool deck.  I do wear earplugs at night fyi.  My boyfriend doesnt and he was up late or very early and didnt hear anything.

Have a wonderful time, the ship is amazing!

• Thanks 1

I’m a little embarrassed to admit this but I picked the room. I called C & A yesterday to see the cost to move from a obstructed balcony and 13646 was offered to me at minimal cost so I jumped at it.  Immediately after getting off the phone and realizing what was above me I had buyer’s remorse.  My old room is no longer available or I would call and try to get it back.  I’m going to continue to watch the rooms and if a better location opens I will try to move.

Hopefully once you get onboard they can switch you. Let me know how you make out.  Happy sailing!

I was so excited when I received the email that my Royal Up bid on the Odyssey from a OV balcony to a OV with large balcony was accepted, until I saw the room assignment 13652, under the costal kitchen and windjammer areas. I’m an extremely light sleeper. How much of an issue will this be? Does anyone have any experience with this stateroom?

While not under a noisy area, there are a lot of carts full of food being moved in the wee hours of the morning. If you are a light sleeper, even distant noises may be heard. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, LGW59 said:

In all seriousness, Apple has these special noise cancelling ear buds (not cheap) but from what I have heard they really work wonderfully blocking out noise.  Good luck!

But they have to be recharged after 3 hours of use. Better off with a bag of foam ear plugs. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, loomabunch said:

I’m a little embarrassed to admit this but I picked the room. I called C & A yesterday to see the cost to move from a obstructed balcony and 13646 was offered to me at minimal cost so I jumped at it.  Immediately after getting off the phone and realizing what was above me I had buyer’s remorse.  My old room is no longer available or I would call and try to get it back.  I’m going to continue to watch the rooms and if a better location opens I will try to move.

Hopefully once you get onboard they can switch you. Let me know how you make out.  Happy sailing!

I know your old room is taken but I’m sure that they have balcony rooms that don’t show up on the website inventory. Keep calling. Since this was not a royal up they should be able to help you. If not, maybe it wont be too bad with ear plugs and a white noise machine. I’m packing both! I’ll let you know how I make out

17 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I think I am going to try to change once on board. I called again and the representative I spoke to said the gray area was storage space, but then I found a review for the Odyssey on CC written by someone who stayed in my exact stateroom 13652 who said that there was a lot of noise from 4am to 5:30, prepping for the CK probably as they serve breakfast. Our Royal UP bid was low so if we lose that $ by downgrading to a regular OV balcony in a better location, it will be the price of a lesson learned.  Did you win it via Royal UP? If not maybe you can still change it if you call. 

It's highly unlikely to be able to change cabins once onboard unless there are major problems with the cabin. GS posts a notice about no onboard upgrades on day 1 even though they do have a few empty upgrades, and I'm sure they won’t move you to the same category either. 

They have lifeboat rosters already set when you board and won’t change them for you.

2 hours ago, Sobro said:

It's highly unlikely to be able to change cabins once onboard unless there are major problems with the cabin. GS posts a notice about no onboard upgrades on day 1 even though they do have a few empty upgrades, and I'm sure they won’t move you to the same category either. 

They have lifeboat rosters already set when you board and won’t change them for you.

You are probably right, but I guess there is no harm in trying, especially since I’m not trying to upgrade, and I would downgrade to a lower category just to get away from the noise. All they can say is no. I’m prepared for that.

There is a difference between an on board upgrade and an on board change in cabin to the same category or down one.

But I would be on the phone NOW to try to change cabins to another one in the same category oe downgrade if you are worried/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in 13262 on the Odyssey very recently and had no noise issues from above. It was very quiet.

I cannot say the same for deck 13 on the Anthem.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SRF said:

There is a difference between an on board upgrade and an on board change in cabin to the same category or down one.

But I would be on the phone NOW to try to change cabins to another one in the same category oe downgrade if you are worried/

I agree. I would do my best to have this settled before I ever got on the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I called right away ad was told that since the cruise is “closed” I would end to wait. But I am going to try calling again. As we all know, sometimes it depends on who you talk to. 

5 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

I called right away ad was told that since the cruise is “closed” I would end to wait. But I am going to try calling again. As we all know, sometimes it depends on who you talk to. 

I just can't see how someone who already has a booking for the cruise cannot make changes to the booking. It may be true but I cannot understand the reasoning.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I just can't see how someone who already has a booking for the cruise cannot make changes to the booking. It may be true but I cannot understand the reasoning.

Update! I called the general rccl number ( not the option for third party booking) and spoke to a different representative. After some back and forth  I was able to change my stateroom to one with a smaller balcony but on a different deck. Yay!!! The downgrade on the balcony is worth the peace of mind. Thank you all for your helpful tips.!!! 

• Like 2