On embarkation, are we allowed to check in our suitcases and then go off to a supermarket without getting on?

mashisback

As we have to leave hotel room shortly, we wanted to go to a supermarket to grab our couple of bottles of wine plus some gluten free food for the wife etc and was hoping to drop suitcases then go off for a bit. Is this possible or will we have to get straight on and stay on?

Thank you

That’s great to hear, as for my Alaska cruise we have a tour before embarkation and we’re hoping to get a jump on the getting on the ship when it’s done....now if I can figure out when boarding starts for an 8pm departure.....we Don’t have to meet the tour until 11, and with some pre pandemic schedules, boarding was 10 (yeah, it could be very different in these days), and I was wondering if we could do the whole getting on the boat/registering/etc in that time.....

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You drop your luggage outside the terminal before you enter to complete your checkin. No one will know if you leave for awhile after dropping off your bags.

Where are you sailing from?

Leaving from Miami on symphony 💜

• Like 2

Talk to the head waiter in the dining room. They arranged for my sister to have a gluten-free meal every night for dinner. They even sent gluten-free raisin toast to our cabin for breakfast when we ordered room service. 

• Like 1

How are you getting to and from the port? It might be easier to leave your bags with bell services while you shop and pick them up before going to the port. Then you could some of the things you buy in your luggage instead of having to carry them on with you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also have to eat gluten free.  I pack all my favorite snacks in our checked luggage. I bring a lot of prepackaged food.  (Unopened jar of cashew butter, bags of crackers and tortilla chips, cookies, and other snacks.)

I know I’d get irritable without my favorite snacks, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable assuming I could quickly buy them before getting on the ship.

I bring a lot of ziploc bags.  I carry a small bag of crackers to meals to crumble over a salad, cookies to crumble over ice cream, etc.

@Marie51 Great advice on the dining room.  I also preorder my dinners, but I choose to bring a lot of my favorite snacks so I never feel deprived.

It appears to be unrealistic to walk from the cruise port back to any shopping.   If you want to spend a number of hours shopping, then it makes sense to drop your bags and take a taxi/car service to a shopping area, shop for hours, then take another taxi or car service back to the port.   If you are doing this, try to work with your driver to consider the trip from the hotel to the ship followed by shopping as hotel plus one stop, as luggage handlers should be able to take your bags in a minute or two as long as all of your bags have luggage tags.