The Daily for Sunday 02/13/2022

richwmn

I love reading the marriage stories ! We were one of those couples that no one ever thought would make it. I went on a 2 week vacation cross country with a relative. I met my husband the first day there, we dated for the whole 2 weeks, I returned home, we wrote and called each other and we were married 3 months later ! Everyone was flabbergasted. We are celebrating our 50th this year. Since every family member was very suspicious, we had no children for 5 years ! 

• Like 26

I've been to Robinson Crusoe Island twice, both times within a year.  Otherwise, it isn't an easy place to get to.  My first visit was on the Crystal Symphony in 2018:

https://www.leeabbamonte.com/south-america/getting-to-robinson-crusoe-island.html

There is also a supply ship that comes twice a month and carries 12 passengers, with priority given to citizens of Chile:

antonio.jpg

Even on a cruise ship, the tender landing is not the easiest  The first step off the tender was to grab a rope hanging from the rusty framework of the dock:

tenderslip.jpg

This is from the town as seen from the harbor:

bautista.jpg

The town was hit by a tsunami in 2017.  Recovery was apparently quite slow.  I hope to post photos similar to this from my 2019 visit on the Prinsendam in my next post:

tsunami.jpg

The main street runs uphill from the dock:

mainstreet.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  Our church was also collecting for the free clinic food pantry.

We were lucky to go to the Bucs Buffalo game (which we won!). I have a really good photo of Tom Brady since we had great seats.  

We will be watching game today for ads and halftime. 

• Like 23

Good morning and thanks all!  A great collection of days, especially pre Valentine’s. I really struggled with the whole name change thing in the early 70’s.  I was young and DH wanted me to have his name, so I did, but I also was the first at my university to insist on both maiden and married name on my degree.  My DD followed that tradition.  And recently my cousins son took his wife’s name . 
sadly more in my family with Covid, my niece and husband I am glad they are triple vaxed so doing ok.

@kazu glad Marley is moving in the right direction with his meds. 

6 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Thank you, that was very nicely stated. I married my husband after I had spent many years in my career, and was well known by my maiden name. I chose to keep it as all my degrees, diplomas and certificates were in my maiden name. In addition my naturalization papers were also in my maiden name.

Many years ago (after marriage) we travelled to Ireland on vacation, I had made all the arrangements and pre-payments. DH was frequently addressed as Mr "my maiden name" which amused him immensely!

Love it!

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Have a great Sunday!

It's going to be a girl !!!  My first granddaughter.

- Jack

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Time to Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò) is my absolute favorite song. I have the Italian words to it and it is so beautiful. Andrea Bocelli sings it so beautifully! 🥰

We first experienced this sailing out of Venice, brought tears! 

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. What a great combination of days. I met my husband when I was in grade 13(no longer exists in Ontario) introduced by my geography teacher who was my husband’s wingman! He was our best man a year later when we married. 52 years coming up at the end of the month. 

sports overload here. The olympics are on tv (mens hockey), dh is watching a Liverpool burnley soccer game on the iPad , Super Bowl later at our daughter’s house and possibly a late women’s hockey game as the Canadian women play then. Like I said, sports overload.

i appreciate this group because it is a peaceful, loving, caring group of people. My last few days have been stressful watching events unfold in Canada and especially here in Windsor (making no further comment only giving context) and coming here just brings down my blood pressure. I look forward to reading what everyone is doing and where people are travelling. If things continue to go well with omicron and if we can get out of country health insurance we hope to drive to Virginia to visit with dh’s sisters. Two of them live near Fort Lee (retired army) and the third one hopes to fly over from Germany in April. Other than facetime we have not seen the family in Virginia  since March 2020, and the sister in Germany even longer ago. Fingers crossed.

prayers for those needing them, will lift a celebratory drink later. 

Sending you extra hugs, this is all so upsetting!  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another morning of heavy frost (34F) but heading up to a sunny 54 degrees this afternoon -- the warmest day yet this year.  I won't be watching any of the Super Bowl, I plan to garden most of the day again today.  DH probably will watch off and on.  The taco recipes today look really yummy, but we just had tacos last night.  I haven't decided yet what will be for dinner tonight.

I enjoyed reading others' marriage stories yesterday and today.  DH and I are another couple "they" said would never last.  I was 18, he was 21 and in the military.  He was a Southern boy (Savannah) and I had never been further east than the Dakotas.  After being married only 2 months he was sent to Viet Nam for a full year....rough for anyone but especially newly weds, but we made it and have been married now for over 52 years.  

@HeartgroveYay a girl!  Congratulations!

Have a wonderful day everyone, stay safe and healthy 🙂  

Wow, what an inspiration! 

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  🏈 I am the caterer so will only stop to watch the halftime show and share some snacks.  Hubby found me doing prep work when he came home last night and asked what was on the menu.  His face fell when I said “crudité” so I laughed when I saw your meme.  😂

My son-in-law calls me his WingMom. 🙃  

When I was a teenager I changed my first name  because I had had it with people mispronouncing my name.  When my boyfriend (eventually my husband) suddenly showed up one day with it tattooed on his arm I told him “That’s not my name.” 😂 I reverted back to my given name and have resigned myself to the fact that the only time I will hear it pronounced properly is when I am in the UK.

I do not agree with the quote but I guess it could start a good debate.  Thank you to all who have shared their marriage stories, both yesterday and today.  I have really enjoyed them.

Oh!  I woke up to a winter wonderland today!  Quite the shock when yesterday it was t-shirt weather.  By the time it’s done we will have about 4”.  It’s very pretty.  Have a great day everyone!

I am guessing that your name may be similar to my daughters.   We met a lovely lady in the UK whose name started with G but was pronounced J when I was pregnant.  As a teacher it was hard to name a child and this one resonated! 

6C54E2ED-6482-42A6-9B07-40FC2CEE5AFB.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I still think this is the best Clydesdale ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyP0JsyvYnA

The least aired Clyesdale commercial ( I believe it was only aired once?) and the most memorable ♥️ 

33 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

TBH, I'm super tired because I've had to switch up my sleep schedule to accommodate our new puppy, so I'm only catching some things here.  

I feel your pain. Sorry about your interrupted sleep 😔  Puppies cost sleep for a little bit.  Hang in there - it will be worth it !

• Like 26

My second visit to Crusoe was on the Prinsendam Grand South America in January, 2019.  I actually took fewer photos the second time around even though the weather was nicer.  First, here's the tsunami damage almost a year later.  The building in the container is the post office:

tsunami19.jpg

One of the obvious sites in town is the "Patriot Caves".  The first 2 photos (caves and trail to them) were from my first visit.

patriotcaves.jpg

cavesteps.jpg

The weather was nicer in 2019 and I went into one of the caves:

cave.jpg

There are almost no cars on the island and this is a typical "street":

ircstreet.jpg

The town clinic is one of the nicer buildings:

clinic.jpg

Finally, if you take a right turn leaving the tender pier there's a nice little park type area with benches and play fields.  There are a couple of pretty strenuous hikes on the island and this would be a great place to relax afterwards:

armsirc.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

We decided to head into town this morning for a drive-thru breakfast, still not sure about eating in as very few here don't wear masks.  Town is really thinning out and getting back to normal.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Score is Marley 7 - Jacqui 0.  He was up at 4:30 having to “go”.  At least that’s a bit later so I’ll try the pill even later tonight.  There’s not much later time to go, though.

Thanks.  DH still thinks they are not for him 😢. Answered TBay on Marley but it was a bit later at least 4:30 is better than 3:45.  Now, if I can just get him to even 5:30.

Sorry Jose doesn't realize the flowers are for him.  Maybe if you keeping mentioning the flowers you brought him and ask the nurses to do the same, with time he will.  Hope he is enjoying them anyway.

I'll keep my fingers crossed 🤞 that with timing of the pills, Marley will let you sleep until 5:30. Too bad dogs can't tell time.  😄

51 minutes ago, dfish said:

I still think this is the best Clydesdale ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyP0JsyvYnA

That definitely the best.  I also like the one with the Dalmatian encouraging the colt, and the one with the horse recognizing his trainer.   I'll wait until the game to see this year's entry.

25 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Will probably watch a bit of the game... my Father was a real football fan and all the kids can call a game. I remember when I was in high school I had a date for a local game. My date spent the time before kick-off carefully explaining the broader points of the game to the girls. Game started .... a whistle blew on the field and I said "off side" before the refs signal. So much for that date.

Susan

Susan, I had to laugh at your football date story.  It reminded me of the time I outshot my date with his own hunting rifle, and it was a type I'd never fired before.  No great loss, as he was a jerk anyway.

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've been to Robinson Crusoe Island twice, both times within a year.  Otherwise, it isn't an easy place to get to.  My first visit was on the Crystal Symphony in 2018:

https://www.leeabbamonte.com/south-america/getting-to-robinson-crusoe-island.html

There is also a supply ship that comes twice a month and carries 12 passengers, with priority given to citizens of Chile:

antonio.jpg

Even on a cruise ship, the tender landing is not the easiest  The first step off the tender was to grab a rope hanging from the rusty framework of the dock:

tenderslip.jpg

This is from the town as seen from the harbor:

bautista.jpg

The town was hit by a tsunami in 2017.  Recovery was apparently quite slow.  I hope to post photos similar to this from my 2019 visit on the Prinsendam in my next post:

tsunami.jpg

The main street runs uphill from the dock:

mainstreet.jpg

Roy

Thank you for the pictures.  I've wanted to see the island, but never had the opportunity.  The second set of pictures is also appreciated.

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  A great collection of days, especially pre Valentine’s. I really struggled with the whole name change thing in the early 70’s.  I was young and DH wanted me to have his name, so I did, but I also was the first at my university to insist on both maiden and married name on my degree.  My DD followed that tradition.  And recently my cousins son took his wife’s name . 
sadly more in my family with Covid, my niece and husband I am glad they are triple vaxed so doing ok.

@kazu glad Marley is moving in the right direction with his meds. 

Love it!

Congratulations!

We first experienced this sailing out of Venice, brought tears! 

Sending you extra hugs, this is all so upsetting!  

Wow, what an inspiration! 

I am guessing that your name may be similar to my daughters.   We met a lovely lady in the UK whose name started with G but was pronounced J when I was pregnant.  As a teacher it was hard to name a child and this one resonated! 

6C54E2ED-6482-42A6-9B07-40FC2CEE5AFB.jpeg

Sorry your niece and husband have covid.  Glad they are triple vaxed and it seems to be a mild case.

9 minutes ago, 0106 said:

On board the Zuiderdam!  Will post against upon my return.

Boy Voyage.  Have a great cruise.  🥂 🎈

Lenda

• Like 22

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Super Sunday Daily, Rich.  You're a bit early and I'm late.  Marriage Day is surely appropriate after all of yesterday's great stories.  @4966and556 was just a bit early celebrating get a Different name day but was spot on in Australia.  Thinking of wings, although not necessarily wingmen, I understand they are very expensive this year.  While not in a taco I'll be having chicken tonight as I work on emptying my refrigerator before Thursday.  I love the quote.  Isla Robinson Crusoe is a great destination although off the beaten path.  We went from spring to winter overnight with snow at least in the grass and almost a 30-degree drop in the temp.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup and hand pain
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome abord 4966and 556
3 BHB in Everglades
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Hand appointment for Cruisin Terri
Grand Australia booked for durangoscots
6 days for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
Bon Voyage ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6)
Bon Voyage  0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
5 days for rafinmd (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
 Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), lb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Welcome home Highland Cruiser and Cruising single
HorizonChaser1957 to Palm Springs
Grandchild coming for Heartgrove
Great mattress for ger_77
ottahand7's brother free of covid and ready for knee replacement
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

ROY I hope   this  is  not  a  stupid  question but  for  some  reason  I  cant  remember  a  post so 

can  you  or  someone  tell  me  how  to  do  this. Thanks  in  advance any  help.

Jim. 

• Like 8

Just now, irishjim said:

ROY I hope   this  is  not  a  stupid  question but  for  some  reason  I  cant  remember  how   to  post.

can  you  or  someone  tell  me  how  to  do  this. Thanks  in  advance any  help.

Jim. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

You are correct!

• Like 13

Hope these that I borrowed from FB give you a smile and a chuckle.

I am posting this with a very heavy heart. 😢 😢 😢
I am selling/donating all of my many hobby items as I no longer have the desire to do anything with them.
Life gets that way sometimes. Having hobbies presents a lot of work for very little recognition. I am extremely tired..... exhausted actually
Please don’t ask any questions. I can’t handle talking about it anymore! 😔
Only serious inquiries, please......
Below is the list of items that I have available.
1. Broom and dustpan
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop & Bucket
5. Window Cleaner
6. Vacuum
7. Soap (laundry, dish, you name it)
8. Fabric softener
9. Trash bags
10. Toilet brush
Please let me know if interested.

Along the same lines:
May be an image of ‎2 people and ‎text that says '‎IT DRIES THE WASHING USING THE VERY LATEST TECHNOLOGY - -A A COMBINATION OF SOLAR AND WIND POWER ۱ک CHRIS MADDEN‎'‎‎

May be an image of text that says 'IF MOMS MADE CANDY HEARTS... SHUT THE DOOR LET ME JUST FINISH MY MY COFFEE IT'S WHEREVER YOU LEFT IT |SAID... GET YOUR SHOES ON YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY YOU'RE BORED SAW THAT'

May be a cartoon of 1 person and text that says 'Pickles BEFORE RETIRED LUSED TO DREAD MONDAYS. By Brian Crane NOT ANYMORE. THIS MORNING WOKE UP AND SAID TO MYSELF "IT'S MONDAY AND DON'T CARE.' 4/17/20 TODAY IS FRIDAY. YEAH, BEFORE RETIRED USED Το KEEP TRACKOF WHAT DAY IT WAS TOO'

If any husbands want to impress their wives, they might consider this or then again, maybe not.
May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Impress her with something expensive for VALENTINES DIRT DIRTROAD ROAD ROOKEORS'

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Haha 21

It’s interesting… okay, annoying… that CC hides posts from me and it’s not until someone else quotes them that I see them!  I suppose that’s better than not being able to log in but, sheesh.

Last night I was on a roll and made a cheesecake.  You can’t eat it until the next day so that was painful because it smelled so good.  😂 I will make a blueberry compote to top it later.  That will be my Valentine to my husband, along with a card I ordered off Amazon since that “lady” coughed all over me at the card store so I left before I could find one.  😡

• Like 24

26 minutes ago, irishjim said:

ROY I hope   this  is  not  a  stupid  question but  for  some  reason  I  cant  remember  how   to  post.

Not sure what you're asking.  How to post what?

Roy

• Like 8

Getting here late, but better late than not at all.  We went out for breakfast.  Went to a couple of stores and then came home. We are having ribs for supper.  Dh will be watching the game I think. He is a Bills fan because he lived  across the river in Fort Erie, Ontario, at the time.I won't be watching the halftime show as none of the acts interest me.  I will try to track down the American commercials online as they are far superior to the Canadian commercials...  that being said, I love the fact that there are so many Canadians posting on here. I don't want to talk about Ottawa or any of the bridges. We avoided driving down to the falls this weekend because we would rather avoid  2 of the bridges.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I am posting this with a very heavy heart. 😢 😢 😢
I am selling/donating all of my many hobby items as I no longer have the desire to do anything with them.
Life gets that way sometimes. Having hobbies presents a lot of work for very little recognition. I am extremely tired..... exhausted actually
Please don’t ask any questions. I can’t handle talking about it anymore! 😔
Only serious inquiries, please......

OMG, YOU HAD ME SO WORRIED!!!  Phew.  I think I need a drink.  lol

• Like 9
  • Haha 14

17 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Dh will be watching the game I think. He is a Bills fan because he lived  across the river in Fort Erie, Ontario, at the time.I won't be watching the halftime show as none of the acts interest me.  

You just reminded me!  We were on a HAL TA with Captain Darin Bowland and it was Canadian Thanksgiving.  As Captain Bowland is Canadian, he invited all the Canadians to a special event where we got to meet him and his staff.  My Dad and I were chatting to this one lad and I asked him where he was from.  He said he lived close to the border.  I asked where and he kind of looked trapped and said “Fort Erie”.  So I started chatting to him about Fort Erie and he panicked and said he was actually from Buffalo but he was pretending to be Canadian for the free drinks.  OMG, I HOWLED.  Super nice guy.   He got a high 5 for that.  And free drinks.  😂

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 7
  • Haha 16

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I once thought about adding a middle name, as I have none. And not too long ago got my original birth certificate and found my birth name (I was adopted at 7 days old). A salute to wingmen and marriage. Great quote.

I've never had a chicken taco. I'll pass on the drink, but take the merlot.

I've been to Chile, but not this port.

It's cold here today, but at least no precip. I'll try to get a few things done prior to the big game, mainly laundry. I see the Hematologist tomorrow, then a break from appointments until next month.

@kazu Good job on getting the flowers to Jose safely. I hope your weather holds out for your visit today. 

@grapau27 Thanks for today's sermon. Lovely pictures of your dinner with Pauline yesterday.

@Heartgrove Congrats on your first granddaughter!

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your visit with your friends today. I hope you get some relief from the pain.

@Suslor I share the pain of not having anything monogrammed, with no middle name and no married name.

@1ANGELCAT I'm glad your power outage wasn't too long.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Thank you.

You are welcome Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClippyJoe said:

Since every family member was very suspicious, we had no children for 5 years ! 

I had the same experience.  My Mother's friend told her that I "must be pregnant" because I was only 18 and getting married.  We also waited 5 years before our first child was born. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 6