The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

On 5/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, CDR Benson said:

Well, it's real, now.  We just made the final payment on our 16 September cruise to New England/Canada.  After seventeen months of largely sitting on our hands since booking this cruise, now the to-do list has gotten busier.

I had my first direct interaction with Norwegian last week (everything else had been done by our TA), and I'm pleased to report that it was went just as the information provided by the supremely helpful Mr. Tilkin indicated it would:  easily and graciously.

The Good Mrs. Benson and I are booked in the Haven, and Haven guests are permitted to make their specialty-restaurant reservations on line at 130 days out from the sail date.  A week ago, Monday, 09 May, was the 130th day, and, sure enough, on that day, I became able to make reservations for specialty restaurants through our on-line account.

The next day, though, I noticed that the dinner reservations had gone into the cart, along with our excursions and other purchases, which we weren't prepared to pay until this week.  This raised the question for me as to whether the reservations were actually in place or if because they were in the cart, the reservations were in some sort of limbo.  They didn't reflect in our on-line itinerary.

So I sent an e-mail to the Norwegian Concierge Desk---a resource provided by Mr. Tilkin in this thread---asking for clarification.  Within two days, they responded (most cordially) with the confirmation for our dinner reservations enclosed.  And I checked our on-line account and, aye, they reflect in our itinerary, now.

This, I hope, augurs well for our experience on the cruise.

Glad it all worked out. 

Cruise well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question about go-cart and laser tag reservations, not a secret to share, but I thought to post here since there has been random bashing against posters who shared their Haven experience in the forum, and by posting here people might feel more comfortable sharing their experience.

For Go-cart and Laser tag in Encore, do Haven guests require to make reservations, or can they just walk in?  If reservation is required, can Haven Concierge handle the request, or do we need to go to deck 6 Social Comedy club to make the reservations, or can we make reservation using the in-room TV menu?

Thanks Gary for this so very helpful topic about Haven, and I plan to write the butler letter as recommended.  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, tyrannosaur said:

This is a question about go-cart and laser tag reservations, not a secret to share, but I thought to post here since there has been random bashing against posters who shared their Haven experience in the forum, and by posting here people might feel more comfortable sharing their experience.

For Go-cart and Laser tag in Encore, do Haven guests require to make reservations, or can they just walk in?  If reservation is required, can Haven Concierge handle the request, or do we need to go to deck 6 Social Comedy club to make the reservations, or can we make reservation using the in-room TV menu?

Thanks Gary for this so very helpful topic about Haven, and I plan to write the butler letter as recommended.  Thanks in advance.

There is a line at the Go Cart Track for Haven and Unlimited Ride clients.  That is an easy in and out.  You still need reservations which I did with the Haven Concierge first thing.  Yes you can do it on your TV in your room but I just like doing it with the Concierge.  

The laser tag I also did with the Concierge.  Ask for a night time game, it is more fun.  

The logic here is if you plan your week out, choose times that do not conflict with your dinner plans or show times.  Once you get onboard, it becomes much easer. 

On your reference to being bashed about anything having to do with the Haven, I know.  That is why I both wrote the op-ed the way I did and no longer have an account on Reddit.com.  Folks were really mean and all I was trying to do was be helpful.  You can ask any question you what, right here.  Lots of folks check in and many have recently been on the Encore.

Cruise well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just changed our Escape booking from an aft-facing club balcony to an accessible courtyard penthouse in The Haven.  I am headed back to the beginning of this delightfully written thread to see how much we are going to enjoy our first cruise in The Haven.  We have often cruised in MSC's Yacht Club and we are looking forward to comparing the two experiences.  We in fact get off the Escape and jump on the Seaside B2B in July out of Civitavecchia.  32 days and counting!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pno4te said:

I am headed back to the beginning of this delightfully written thread

Thank you so much.  It has been fun seeing all the contributions and life this thread has taken on.

Cruise well

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:37 PM, Sthrngary said:

There is a line at the Go Cart Track for Haven and Unlimited Ride clients.  That is an easy in and out.  You still need reservations which I did with the Haven Concierge first thing.  Yes you can do it on your TV in your room but I just like doing it with the Concierge.  

The laser tag I also did with the Concierge.  Ask for a night time game, it is more fun.  

The logic here is if you plan your week out, choose times that do not conflict with your dinner plans or show times.  Once you get onboard, it becomes much easer. 

On your reference to being bashed about anything having to do with the Haven, I know.  That is why I both wrote the op-ed the way I did and no longer have an account on Reddit.com.  Folks were really mean and all I was trying to do was be helpful.  You can ask any question you what, right here.  Lots of folks check in and many have recently been on the Encore.

Cruise well.

Read accounts of covid quarantine with one poster claiming NCL - who has invested much money and effort to covid protocols - saying their medical facilities were barely 5th grade level.

I unfortunately tested positive on Escape and had to go into 7 day quarantine.  Excellent medical team and care, food, beverages, free wifi and movies.  Everything handled top notch.  Haven't yet posted as a counter balance to their complaints because it ends up in bashing.  I'm sorry for all the help you have given Haven guests plus your excellent review of not doing Haven but supplementing your experience ends up in people being mean.  

Have been with CC since 2003 and boy, I hate to see the attacks especially since you have. been nothing but helpful and polite.  I don't even have any social media a/c's - not worth the stress.

Please keep your good info coming and know others really appreciate it.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

I unfortunately tested positive on Escape and had to go into 7 day quarantine.  Excellent medical team and care, food, beverages, free wifi and movies.

I was in the "same boat" and can totally confirm and agree with this assessment

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Read accounts of covid quarantine with one poster claiming NCL - who has invested much money and effort to covid protocols - saying their medical facilities were barely 5th grade level.

I unfortunately tested positive on Escape and had to go into 7 day quarantine.  Excellent medical team and care, food, beverages, free wifi and movies.  Everything handled top notch.  Haven't yet posted as a counter balance to their complaints because it ends up in bashing.  I'm sorry for all the help you have given Haven guests plus your excellent review of not doing Haven but supplementing your experience ends up in people being mean.  

Have been with CC since 2003 and boy, I hate to see the attacks especially since you have. been nothing but helpful and polite.  I don't even have any social media a/c's - not worth the stress.

32 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I was in the "same boat" and can totally confirm and agree with this assessment

I would love to hear more details about your experience testing positive because the information I've read is sparse and negative. Were you able to stay in your cabin, or were you moved to a quarantine cabin? Were you able to stay with your travel companions? Was the testing required for a port? Were you able to order specific meals from the room service / Haven / main dining room or were they set meals? What about drinks? Were you able to order wine and drinks with your drink package? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Thank you

1 hour ago, vinotinto said:

I would love to hear more details about your experience testing positive because the information I've read is sparse and negative.

I tested positive the day before disembarcation.  Husband was negative. We were tested because we were flying to Barcelona from Rome to board the Star for a B2B. I was moved to OV near medical center.  He stayed in the Haven cabin, probably since it was only 1 more night.  That seemed reasonable to me. Then the hazmat team arrived to disinfect our cabin. No one could enter for 3 hours afterwards we were told.

Next day there were 63 of us (positives plus negative partners) gathered in the “Supper Club,” not sure how many of each type, waiting to be transferred to hotels.  NCL provided us with food and non alcoholic drinks. Suddenly the ship was moving.  Italy couldn't handle us (not sure why) so we stayed on board and were moved to different cabins. We stayed together, not sure about others.  We were treated very very well.  No complaints here.  Of course, we are retired and recovering while sailing and being provided excellent food sure beats having to cook for myself. 

We ordered from the regular restaurant menu and it arrived faster than if we had been sitting at a table (Seriously!)  Can’t advise about alcohol since we never have a drink package.  7 days later we were both negative and released from quarantine. We stayed in the same cabin though.  After all, we weren’t even supposed to be on the ship. I think some people elected to get off the ship in Greece.
I should add that while I was not asymptomatic, I did not feel really bad at any time.  That made a difference in my attitude as well. We were given free movies and Internet and relaxed watching the scenery of the Eastern Mediterranean.  When the Escape completed our “surprise” cruise we flew to Southampton and after testing negative again boarded the Star to cruise north as planned.
I have nothing but praise for the entire NCL staff.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing on Breakaway in the Haven in August.  We have previously been in the Gem Haven with our kids so I have a couple of questions specifically about the Breakaway.

Abd before it comes up- our children are closely supervised, polite, and respectful. 

1) Are both of the haven hot tubs adults only or just one?  Does “adults only” mean 18+ or is there a posted age?

2) is the lounge deck above the pool (not sure what you would call it… lounger balcony? Not the outdoor sun deck) adults only?

3) is the outdoor sun deck adults only? 

4) What’s the current lead time on the mailed luggage tags and welcome letter?  It seems to fluctuate. We’re at 42 days and haven’t received anything, I figured once we got under 30 days I’d contact our TA.  Just curious.

9 minutes ago, raitch said:

We are sailing on Breakaway in the Haven in August.  We have previously been in the Gem Haven with our kids so I have a couple of questions specifically about the Breakaway.

4) What’s the current lead time on the mailed luggage tags and welcome letter?  It seems to fluctuate. We’re at 42 days and haven’t received anything, I figured once we got under 30 days I’d contact our TA.  Just curious.

For our upcoming sailing on the Star we received our luggage tags and concierge letter 31 days prior to boarding.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, raitch said:

Abd before it comes up- our children are closely supervised, polite, and respectful. 

35 minutes ago, raitch said:

We were on the Breakaway in April. This is what I recall:

1) Are both of the haven hot tubs adults only or just one?  Does “adults only” mean 18+ or is there a posted age?

One said adults-only; one did not say anything.

I remember reading here that adults only is 16+.

2) is the lounge deck above the pool (not sure what you would call it… lounger balcony? Not the outdoor sun deck) adults only?

No.

Yes.

We never received luggage tags, (are they doing those for ALL the ships?), but did get a welcome letter. We printed the luggage tags after doing online check-in.

Edited by vinotinto

39 minutes ago, raitch said:

The "1 adults-only hot tub, 1 all ages hot tub" is more of a theory than a rule. 😉

Although the following video has a few errors (ignore the popup @ 1:14), the areas before 3:20 are all ages...

...and the areas after 3:20 are 16 and older only. 

Haven%20Adults%20Only%20Sun%20Deck%20-%2

(not Breakaway but the sign is the same)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

1 hour ago, raitch said:

The two hot tubs are located in the Haven Courtyard, not on the Haven Sundeck.  They do not have an age restriction.  The Layout f the Breakaway is very similar to the Getaway.

1 hour ago, raitch said:

The deck you are specking of is just above the Haven Courtyard.  It looks over the courtyard.  They are not age restricted.  I personally have never seen anyone other then adults up there because all you can do is look over and lay down.  Boring for most children.

1 hour ago, raitch said:

Usually 16 and above.  This is due to on Holiday cruises where there are lots of families with young children who take over the Haven Courtyard.  I have seen children under 16 on the Haven Deck.  They have been kinder and nicer then some adults.  I have never ever had an issue on a Haven Sundeck. 

1 hour ago, raitch said:

4) What’s the current lead time on the mailed luggage tags and welcome letter?

About 30 days prior to the cruise.  May I suggest you purchase from Amazon the plastic cruise luggage tags with the metal bindings.  They are cheap and you can print your luggage tags and put them in them.  The benefit is they never break or come off like the ones NCL sends you. 

I hope I helped you with your questions.  I will be on the Breakaway in December.  Save some Tequila for me.

Cruise well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all of your Haven experience, do you know what brand of shampoo, conditioners, bar soap are currently being supplied?  Are they supplied in the large bottles that hang from the wall or are they still supplied in the smaller bottles as the were pre-covid?  We'll be boarding the Epic in the next few weeks.  Thank you.

Does anyone have a "new" Room Category Amenities breakdown for the Joy?  I have one from June 2021 and seen one from Feb 2022, but was wondering if anyone had a newer version to do a comparison to any changes?  Posted is the 2022 one, which is folded so missing the Haven's section.  

20220315_113106.jpg.ede6db0b01554bd8faeeef33a34b8423.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jemz1949 said:

With all of your Haven experience, do you know what brand of shampoo, conditioners, bar soap are currently being supplied?  Are they supplied in the large bottles that hang from the wall or are they still supplied in the smaller bottles as the were pre-covid?  We'll be boarding the Epic in the next few weeks.  Thank you.

Take a look at the Amenities on the Joy.  Look at the Haven Categories.  That might help you. 

The bottles in the Haven are on the ledge in the bathroom.  They are small and get replenished when they are gone.  They are high end.  When out of the Haven, they can be located in the shower in dispensers. 

Cruise well. 

Amenities JOY.pdf

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

The Amenities list specifies a special room service menu for Haven.  Does someone have a photo of it?

i can't speak for the joy specifically  (and the joy certainly does march to its own drumbeat with regard to certain suites), but i think the amenity list may be misleading. the haven experience includes the regular room service menu as far as i know... i think the reason it may be listed separately here is because there is no delivery fee for haven guests, whereas those outside of the haven typically pay for everything but continental breakfast. you can certainly order almost anything you like and they will deliver it for you, if at all humanly possible, but the menu you'll find in the room will most likely be the standard room service menu.

generally, you call your butler to order off the room service menu, as he or she will be the one delivering it. (your butler's preference may vary.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

The Amenities list specifies a special room service menu for Haven.  Does someone have a photo of it?

(Or did I miss it much earlier on this thread?)

I recall a normal room service menu in our room in April (Haven on the Getaway). There was a special butler drawn bath room service menu for us. We didn't avail ourselves to it as $99 for a bath seems a bit excessive. 

14 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

(Or did I miss it much earlier on this thread?)

@Sand and SeasAllow me to do my best and I hope you and other find this helpful.  I was on the Joy twice in 6 months.  I was in the Haven with my family the first time and in a Club Suite solo the second time.  I also wrote this op-ed on the Secrets to the Haven.  

The room service menu as I recalled, did not look different from the regular room service menu.  This fact is kind of not relevant because all the room service I did came from the Haven Restaurant while in the Haven Suite.  That was the first request I made from my butler on day one.  The only time this is not honored is when the Haven Restaurant is closed or the item you request is not on the Haven Menu.  

Room service in general is mostly lackluster.  It sound romantic and lovely especially when in a Suite.  Try it once, ask for the Haven Restaurant and provide a review.  That would be helpful.  Remember my opinions are only my own and other opinions should be considered. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Take a look at the Amenities on the Joy.  Look at the Haven Categories.  That might help you. 

The bottles in the Haven are on the ledge in the bathroom.  They are small and get replenished when they are gone.  They are high end.  When out of the Haven, they can be located in the shower in dispensers. 

Cruise well. 

Amenities JOY.pdf 58.99 kB · 14 downloads

Thanks @Sthrngary for the full pic.  This is the July 2021 one, correct?  Did they send you anything new for 2022? There are quite a few differences in this 2021 and the 2022 posted above for non-Haven suites as I think they made all the changes on Joy in late 2021.  I originally booked a non-Haven suite SC cabin then upgraded to a full Haven HI cabin on deck 15 when the prices were much, much lower than they are today.  Not sure I will enjoy it as much as I thought as it is right below the pool deck.  😒

• Like 1