Formal nights??!!!

Hello all. I’ve been reading everyone’s posts regarding how to dress on “formal nights/ dress your best”.  Well my thoughts here are, as the quote goes, “ you do you”. This is always a hot topic . Some love to be dressed up, but then there are those , like myself who don’t like to be dressed up, to please others, or what?  We have come through a rough two years of not cruising, is dressing up really what matters, maybe to those who like it. We should enjoy the luxury of being able to be sailing again. Too be well, to be safe after sailing. Dress up as you please, be happy .  It’s all good.  Stay safe. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yes. The days of true formal nights ended a while ago. We have not packed gowns or tuxes in many years. There is a wide assortment of dress from formal ware to shorts, polo shirts, and sneakers. Most resort casual now days. A sundress and sandals are fine for formal night. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. The days of true formal nights ended a while ago. We have not packed gowns or tuxes in many years. There is a wide assortment of dress from formal ware to shorts, polo shirts, and sneakers. Most resort casual now days. A sundress and sandals are fine for formal night. 

My wife would object if I wore that, no matter the evening. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 20

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

True formal nights still going strong on UK departing cruises and as a casual observer from across the pond our pre covid cruise from New York was a lot more formal than our one that started off in Port Canaveral (both Royal).

I haven't got strong views either way, each to their own and I just find it interesting how different countries and areas such as New York and Florida differ. On our cruise from Dubai it was formal every night. We even saw tuxedo's and ball gowns in the windjammer 😄.

• Like 3

I don’t know why some choose to follow the suggested dress guidelines in the MDR, but I seriously doubt that it is because they want to please other people. That seems to be a rather condescending question. They aren’t a bunch of lemmings! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Guess the sensor came in and deleted a bunch of posts.   Lolol.  Go figure. Lol.  

wear what you’d like.  Your on vacation.   

Talk about sandals with socks is a taboo subject. Lol

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Talk about sandals with socks is a taboo subject. Lol

They even took down my formal night pic.   Thought that’s what this thread was about.   What to wear on informal night. 

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Y’all may have read more dress threads than me but I don’t recall reading opinions on whether someone would have to wear underwear on what used to be called formal night.

I believe even on formal night underwear was optional.  My moms rule of thumb was, "always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident". 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Y’all may have read more dress threads than me but I don’t recall reading opinions on whether someone would have to wear underwear on what used to be called formal night.

Going commando since your laundry did not make it back yet??  😄 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Going commando since your laundry did not make it back yet??  😄 

I had this problem on my last cruise last week.   They lost my luggage and didn’t get my laundry out in time.    They had to rush my pressings so I could get my tuxedo tshirt back in time for formal night.  Lol 

• Like 1