No Single Supplements on Select Departures to Antarctica, Svalbard and Norway

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Have a look at Albatros Expeditions new ship Ocean Victory. It has 12 single cabins and when I checked prices they were not double the twin share price.

248376128_3154103201500701_6926849820615791333_n.jpg.0d3aaf036f9fbb347ddfd831272c475b.jpg

That is good news.  Maybe more new ships will have single cabins, as the demand is there. 

Thought I would add the link :

Solo travellers: Pay no single supplement on a selection of expedition cruises in 2022

I do wish cruise companies did more single cabins. I think there is definitely a demand. I remember on Aranui I was surprised to learn that dormitory cabins the only ones that didn't have single supplement were usually the first to book out. 

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Thought I would add the link :

Solo travellers: Pay no single supplement on a selection of expedition cruises in 2022

I do wish cruise companies did more single cabins. I think there is definitely a demand. I remember on Aranui I was surprised to learn that dormitory cabins the only ones that didn't have single supplement were usually the first to book out. 

Thank you.  I thought those dormitory cabins on Aranui were a great idea.  Like a youth hostel at sea so locals could afford to cruise.  Did you cruise in them?  If so, what were they like?  That is another cruise on my wish list. 

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  I thought those dormitory cabins on Aranui were a great idea.  Like a youth hostel at sea so locals could afford to cruise.  Did you cruise in them?  If so, what were they like?  That is another cruise on my wish list. 

No we didn't get the dormitories they were all sold out. By the time we booked there was few cabin options left. Apparently we should have booked two years in advance 😂 but we booked a year and three months ahead. Aranui back then use to book out fast though we did snag the last balcony room which was good for views since we usually sailed along islands and it was also good as you are allowed to leave the balcony door open it was handy for warming up our room as the air con had no control and for me it would get pretty cold. We talked to people who were in the dormitories and everyone said they loved it. A lot of the dormitory passengers were actually seniors, singles and couples. One was a family of four that got a four bed dorm room to themselves. One couple did say their dormitory had some engine noise they personally didn't mind it. They rooms had more space than they expected and apparently the bathroom was nice. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

No we didn't get the dormitories they were all sold out. By the time we booked there was few cabin options left. Apparently we should have booked two years in advance 😂 but we booked a year and three months ahead. Aranui back then use to book out fast though we did snag the last balcony room which was good for views since we usually sailed along islands and it was also good as you are allowed to leave the balcony door open it was handy for warming up our room as the air con had no control and for me it would get pretty cold. We talked to people who were in the dormitories and everyone said they loved it. One couple did say their dormitory had some engine noise they personally didn't mind it. They rooms had more space than they expected and apparently the bathroom was nice. 

Thank you.  I had heard the dormitories were very popular.  Would have been special to have a balcony to enjoy the view of the islands.  

On 2/14/2022 at 6:36 PM, MMDown Under said:

That is good news.  Maybe more new ships will have single cabins, as the demand is there. 

On my only MSC (Divina) cruise  I paid single supplement. I ended up in a single cabin into which a queen bed had been squeezed. It was very cramped. Did I feel ripped off.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

On my only MSC (Divina) cruise  I paid single supplement. I ended up in a single cabin into which a queen bed had been squeezed. It was very cramped. Did I feel ripped off.

Wow that was nasty of MSC😠. If they have a single cabin why would you ever think to charge a supplement. 

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Did you ask to be shifted to a more suitable cabin?  I had heard that some single cabins were mean in small size but that was without any supplement. 

55 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Wow that was nasty of MSC😠. If they have a single cabin why would you ever think to charge a supplement. 

Two reasons.

Firstly, because it had a double bed, MSC classed it as a two occupant cabin even though storage space, wardrobe and drawers, was only sufficient for one persons belongings. With the big bed there was no room for a chair or sofa. The only place to sit was on the bed or a on pdded box that served as a seat for the tiny desk.

The TA may not have requested a single occupant cabin or may not even aware whether or not single cabins were available, if any were. The ship was packed chockers.

Either way, requesting a change would not have made much difference for one person. At least the bathroom was roomy, I had somewhere comfortable to sleep and storage was sufficient as I travel light. It would have been horrendous if two people were in a cabin that small.

And, the price was cheap even with the single supplement.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, NSWP said:

Have a look at Albatros Expeditions new ship Ocean Victory. It has 12 single cabins and when I checked prices they were not double the twin share price.

248376128_3154103201500701_6926849820615791333_n.jpg.0d3aaf036f9fbb347ddfd831272c475b.jpg

Les.... we just booked this cruise in February 23.....  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, packetau said:

Les.... we just booked this cruise in February 23.....  

I would love to hear about your experience on an Albatros Expeditions cruise. I am looking at booking one through EF Go Ahead but information about Albatros is scarce on cruise critic. They are debuting a new ship this year. 

TIA!