Age to be booked in room next to parents?

topnole

Is there an age at which kids must be booked in a cabin with their parents.  For example can two adults be booked in a suite with two young children booked next door?   Just not sure if there is a difference between doing that for 5 year olds, for example, versus teenagers.  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Is there an age at which kids must be booked in a cabin with their parents.  For example can two adults be booked in a suite with two young children booked next door?   Just not sure if there is a difference between doing that for 5 year olds, for example, versus teenagers.  

Easier with connecting cabins. When we traveled with grandkids we would book adjoining cabins and one of us in cabin with each grand.

13 minutes ago, topnole said:

No, there is not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Easier with connecting cabins. When we traveled with grandkids we would book adjoining cabins and one of us in cabin with each grand.

Yeah. I agree.  I’m just trying to determine what is allowed for booking purposes.  The kids would not be staying in the cabin alone at any point.  It would just be for booking purposes.  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

Thank you.  So we should be good trying to book adults in a suite with the kids in the cabin right next door (not connecting cabins)?

Yes.  It is your choice whether your children are old enough to be there without a connecting door.

The official requirement is each cabin must have an adult 21 or older listed in it.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

HOWEVER, if you have connecting cabins (ones that have the door that open between them on the inside) they will usually allow you to have people under 21 in the other cabin. I'm not sure if there is a minimal age limit for this but we have done this multiple time ever since my kids were teenagers. However we had to have connecting cabins.

The other way around it, is to list an adult in the cabin with the kids but then juggle people around once you are on the ship. It is a pain with the room cards but might be doable.

Edited by ancestry

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes.  It is your choice whether your children are old enough to be there without a connecting door.

According to Royal Caribbean's website this is not correct. Their website states: "No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

Source: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

Edited by ancestry

8 minutes ago, ancestry said:

According to Royal Caribbean's website this is not correct. Their website states: "No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

And in practice, the required proximity is adjacent OR connecting OR directly across the hall.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

And in practice, the required proximity is adjacent OR connecting OR directly across the hall.

Thanks again.  Now if you could enlighten me by looking at my other thread on adding or removing a 6th person.  Appreciate all the technical/practical info.  

20 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I'm glad to hear you have had luck doing this. I have not and I even tried several times with adults over 18 but under 21 (didn't even try with little kids).

We were told NO multiples times (on at least three different sailings) unless we had connecting rooms. 

In fact we are sailing again at the beginning of March with my daughter and her friend. The friend is 20 and will literally be one month shy of turning 21 and they would not allow a 19 and 20 year old to be in their own cabin unless it was a connecting cabin to ours. Yes, I know we can juggle after we are on board but then the room cards are a pain especially is the charging isn't all going on one card.

Edited by ancestry
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ancestry said:

The website is outdated.

I book kids in a separate room all the time for clients.  It does not even have to be beside, it can be directly across the hall

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The website is outdated.

I book kids in a separate room all the time for clients.  It does not even have to be beside, it can be directly across the hall

May I ask what you are saying to them to get them to do this? Like I posted above I fought them over this for our upcoming March cruise and the "kids" are 19 and 20 and multiple agents (I called several times) said nope they had to be in a connecting cabin. The 20 year old is turning 21 in less than a month after the sailing so their policy does seem a bit ridiculous but I have not had any luck ever getting them to allow this. We experienced the same thing for a cruise we took back in September as well. Or is it because you are a travel agent that the system allows you to do some things that the RC agents on the phone won't budge about?

Edited by ancestry

16 minutes ago, ancestry said:

May I ask what you are saying to them to get them to do this? Like I posted above I fought them over this for our upcoming March cruise and the "kids" are 19 and 20 and multiple agents (I called several times) said nope they had to be in a connecting cabin. The 20 year old is turning 21 in less than a month after the sailing so their policy does seem a bit ridiculous but I have not had any luck ever getting them to allow this. We experienced the same thing for a cruise we took back in September as well. Or is it because you are a travel agent that the system allows you to do some things that the RC agents on the phone won't budge about?

I don't have  to say anything to them. As a travel agent  I create both bookings and use use a phony birthdate (can't book on line if they are underage) for one of the kids and I then call our reservations line and tell the the kids correct birthdate and let them know the parents are in the room beside them and give them that reservation number.  Never questioned and I've done this well over 50 times in the past 4 years.  I just did one this week where parents were in the middle of 3 cabins with underage kids on both sides.

I've also done this by calling in to make the reservation but its just easier for me to do most of the work on line

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, ancestry said:

I'm glad to hear you have had luck doing this. I have not and I even tried several times with adults over 18 but under 21 (didn't even try with little kids).

We were told NO multiples times (on at least three different sailings) unless we had connecting rooms. 

In fact we are sailing again at the beginning of March with my daughter and her friend. The friend is 20 and will literally be one month shy of turning 21 and they would not allow a 19 and 20 year old to be in their own cabin unless it was a connecting cabin to ours. Yes, I know we can juggle after we are on board but then the room cards are a pain especially is the charging isn't all going on one card.

We have a similar issue.  We were unable to book our current 19 & 20 year olds in their own cabin down the hall from us, even though the older one will be 21 years old several months before the sailing.  It’s annoying that we will have to go stand in a customer service line on the ship to get our cabin keys fixed just because RCCL would not book them based on sailing age.

30 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don't have  to say anything to them. As a travel agent  I create both bookings and use use a phony birthdate (can't book on line if they are underage) for one of the kids and I then call our reservations line and tell the the kids correct birthdate and let them know the parents are in the room beside them and give them that reservation number.  Never questioned and I've done this well over 50 times in the past 4 years.  I just did one this week where parents were in the middle of 3 cabins with underage kids on both sides.

I've also done this by calling in to make the reservation but its just easier for me to do most of the work on line

Good travel agents know the work arounds. That is one reason why I always book with a travel agent. 

6 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

We have a similar issue.  We were unable to book our current 19 & 20 year olds in their own cabin down the hall from us, even though the older one will be 21 years old several months before the sailing.  It’s annoying that we will have to go stand in a customer service line on the ship to get our cabin keys fixed just because RCCL would not book them based on sailing age.

Getting the key cards changed is no big deal. Guest services is used to it and they don't even ask why. It only takes a couple of minutes. We have done it several times. 

• Thanks 1

There is no problem booking your own minor children (of any age) into their own cabin next to your cabin, or directly across the hall from your cabin. No need to lie.  No need to book one adult in each cabin.  I have done it for years.  All you need to do is book over the phone, not online.   If an agent won't do it for you, ask for a supervisor.

Edited by DonnaK
  • Like 2

We have used the same TA for years and have booked our kids under 21 next to us, across the hall, whatever multiple times. It’s not lying. The RC website won’t allow it because it doesn’t have the capability/AI to approve it.

RC is fine with it, it just needs to be done with human interaction not the website.